Author Topic: Fluffy Pizza Bases (with hard crust) and Pizza Sauce (with hidden veg)  (Read 34202 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
This recipe is for those of use who like fluffy pizza bases but still like the crispiness of thin bases. I don't think I'd call them 'thick' bases though, you'll have to try them to see what you think!

The sauce recipe can be made ahead, but I make mine while the bases are rising.

Name of Recipe:     Fluffy Pizza Bases (with hard crust) (pizza sauce below)

Number of People:  How hungry are you? Approximately 3 30cm pizzas and enough sauce for 6 30cm bases

Ingredients:

Fluffy Pizza Bases:
  2tsp dry yeast
  1/2 tsp salt
  420g baker's flour (although I'm told plain flour is ok too)
  10g olive oil
  250g warm water

Preparation:

Put all ingredients in TMX (preferably in the order listed) and knead 2minutes/ ::

Place in a greased bowl and cover with clingwrap and place in a warm (draught free) place until doubled in size (in my climate I find the car is a good place!)

Divide the dough into 3 portions and roll out each one on a floured surface.

Top with your favourite toppings and cook using your preferred method (pizza oven, regular oven, bbq, etc).

Tips:
You can use 1/2 wholemeal flour and 1/2 plain flour, you'll probably need an extra 20-30g of water.

For Calorie counters, if this is made into 6 bases, the count is approx 275Cal per base. Therefore, if made into 8 bases, the count is approx 207Cal per base (toppings additional).

Name of Recipe:     Pizza Sauce (with hidden veg)

Number of People:  How much sauce do you like? Approximately enough sauce for 6 30cm bases

Ingredients:

Pizza Sauce (with hidden veg):
  4 cloves garlic
  2 onions
  20g olive oil
  1 carrot
  1 zucchini
  2 fresh bay leaves (optional)
  620g tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
  10g fresh basil
  10g fresh oregano
  70g red wine
  2 tsp sugar
  Dried mixed herbs to taste (optional)

Preparation:

1) Place onion and garlic in TMX bowl and chop 3sec/speed4

2) Add 20g olive oil and cook 4mins/Varoma Temp/Speed1

3) While cooking add roughly chopped carrot as you go

4) Scrape down the bowl and add roughly chopped zucchini, bay leaves and mixed herbs (if using). Cook 3mins/Varoma Temp/Speed1

5) Add tomatoes, basil and oregano. Place MC on, chop 10sec/Speed7. Remove MC

6) Add red wine and sugar. Cook 20min/Varoma Temp/Speed1 -you may need to place the basket on the lid to prevent splattering

7) Scrape the bowl, including the base to limit/prevent sauce sticking to the bottom

8) Cook for another 15min/VaromaTemp/Speed1 -don't forget to put the basket on!

9) Allow to cool a little before putting the MC on and slowly pulverising the sauce from speed one to 9 until you get the consistency you like. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper

10) Top your pizzas :)

Tips/Hints:
*When I made this I was going for the "supermarket" taste without the additives. I think the dried mixed herbs add to the "supermarket" flavour so you may or may not want to use them.
*Capsicum, celery and other veggies would be great, I used carrot and zucchini because that's what I had.
*Different batches of tomatoes will have different colours. Use canned if you want a really red colour.
*This does stick to the bottom of the bowl a bit, but it was easy to get off with my fingernail/scrubbie
*This sauce should make about enough for 5 or 6 30cm pizzas, depending on how much sauce you use of course!
*I like this amount because I make it once and there's enough for two (or more) meals, I freeze it in zip-lock bags
*The orginal recipe was based on the AWW Italian cookbook, but there were a lot of modifications.

members' comments

AB - it was really nice, I put lots of veggies in the sauce, celery, broccoli, carrot ,onion, garlic and some kale. I used a tin of Italian tomatoes and about a tablespoon of my veggie stock ( not much salt in mine) it was tasty only put a small amount of salami cheese and a few olives on the top.

TAT - I didn't make the sauce, I'll be more organised next time! We did try the dough though and it was so delicious and so easy to prepare. It made 3 large bases and it was so easy to work with and really easy to use. The base was fluffy just like Jamberie said, and yet the crusts are still crunchy! Awesome recipe!

cookie - I am just making these for the second time. I really like them. Thanks.

JD - Made both base and pizza sauce.  Thumbs up from us, best pizzas I've made.  Thanks for such a great recipe.

jo nz - I made this base last time we had pizzas and really enjoyed it, so using again and this time with the sauce too (had other sauce to use up last time).  Pleased to be getting a few extra vegies in there - I do load our pizzas up with toppings but it never seems like that much veg.

Brumington - I use the pizza recipe often. We really like it and it is very easy to work with. I also used it to make pizza scrolls in the week and they turned out really well. Very soft even the following day. I froze the remainder so will report back how they defrosted when I know.

Kimmyh - Made the pizza sauce and it is delicious. Used home grown tomatoes and cooked for an extra 10min to thicken up. I did blitz till smooth at the end as I like smooth not chunky. Have frozen in batches, ready for pizza night. Thanks for a great recipe. Another thing deleted from my shopping basket.

Cookie - Last night I was rushing so they really didn't get a first rise. I gave them a bit longer rolled out to rise and they were still lovely and fluffy. Thanks.

Jamberie - Made this again today. This time I didn't have any carrots but I did have baby spinach. I added two big handfuls of baby spinach along with the tomatoes. No one could tell there were hidden greens.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:56:32 am by judydawn »
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Fluffy Pizza Bases (with hard crust) and Pizza Sauce (with hidden veg)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:49:34 am »
Thanks Jamborie, I'll make this for dinner tonight.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:10 am »
The title of fluffy pizza bases got me. I'll have to try these, as I like a bit of texture in my pizza bases. Not fond of hard ones asa they hurt my gums.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:27:42 am »
Yes they are a bit different and of course the final result will depend on how and how long they are cooked...we could see lots of little air bubbles in these ones. Hope you like them
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:28 am »
Thanks Jamberie. I've put the recipe for the base over here as well with a link back to this posting for the sauce.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:50:58 am »
Thanks Jamberie. I've put the recipe for the base over here as well with a link back to this posting for the sauce.

Oh great! Thanks Judy  :)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
 :)I made this for dinner, it was really nice, I put lots of veggies in the sauce, celery, broccoli, carrot ,onion, garlic , and some kale, I used a tin of Italian tomatoes, and about a tablespoon of my veggie stock ( not much salt in mine) it was tasty only put a small amount of salami cheese and a few olives on the top.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »
Going to try these bases too :)

I have a huge load of sauce made, i do similar but on the stove top for 45mins, never hought of using tm, thanks :)

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:10:16 am »
:)I made this for dinner, it was really nice, I put lots of veggies in the sauce, celery, broccoli, carrot ,onion, garlic , and some kale, I used a tin of Italian tomatoes, and about a tablespoon of my veggie stock ( not much salt in mine) it was tasty only put a small amount of salami cheese and a few olives on the top.

I'm so pleased you liked the recipe :) You certainly smuggled in a lot of veggies :) I can't believe I forgot to add some veggie stock, it would really add something I think. Yes I agree, you don't really need many toppings with this sauce if you don't want to, DD had plain cheese and hers was really nice.
Question though, I'd thought about adding broccoli, but not sure I'd like the taste on pizza...how much did you you and could you taste it?

Going to try these bases too :)

I have a huge load of sauce made, i do similar but on the stove top for 45mins, never hought of using tm, thanks :)

:)

I really liked making the sauce in the TMX because (like most other things) I could do something else while the sauce was cooking. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:23 am »
Yummy :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 05:00:16 am »
Jamborie, my broccoli is nearly finished it is just producing what I call  broccolini, I just put in a handful you couldn't taste it with everything else, DIL had some left over pizza when she arrived today and enjoyed it, very tasty sauce .

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:05:56 am »
Friday night is pizza night in our house, so we're looking forward to trying out the bases tomorrow. I'm assuming you can freeze any leftover sauce?
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:34 am »
You certainly can Sam.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:51 pm »
Thanks Judy. As it was, I didn't make the sauce, I'll be more organised next time! We did try the dough, though and it was so delicious and so easy to prepare. It made 3 large bases and it was so easy to work with and really easy to use. The base was fluffy just like Jamberie said, and yet the crusts are still crunchy! Awesome recipe!
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:32 am »
Hi TAT, I'm glad you liked this one too -it's good to know they were fluffy and crispy for you too.

If you get around to it, you can make the sauce well in advance and then freeze it in two separate containers/zip lock bags and each bag should then have just about enough sauce for the three pizzas this dough recipe makes.
I'm hoping to make a big batch of the sauce and freeze it and also a couple of batches of dough, roll them out and freeze them too. Then when I get home from work all I'll have to do is defrost the sauce & bases whilst I chop the pizza toppings. Someone here on the forum suggested that to me a while ago.