Author Topic: Vegan Mexican Chocolate Pudding  (Read 16356 times)

Offline sourpuss

• View Profile
Vegan Mexican Chocolate Pudding
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:02 pm »
Hi, I'm a "newbie" and having more trouble working out how to use the forum rather than the TM, so I hope I have put this recipe in the right place!
I adapted this recipe for my vegan daughter and my new TM.
Ingreds: 1/2 cup raw sugar
             1/2 cup water
              375g firm silken tofu
              200g dark chocolate
              1 tsp cinnamon powder
               1 tsp pure vanilla essence
               1/4 tsp chilli powder
Method: Combine sugar & water in TM at 100deg for 2 mins at speed 1
             Let it cool a little, then break chocolate into pieces into TM bowl. When choc has melted a bit, add rest of ingredients and whoosh to a smooth mix (about 20 - 30 seconds on speed 7).
serve in individual ramekins or in one big bowl.
The original recipe said to chill the pudding for at least 1/2 an hour before serving - its never made it to the fridge at my house - gets eaten straight off (even by non-tofu lovers!)

Update from sourpuss:
We have eaten the pudding room temp or slightly warmer, and the texture is really smooth like a good custard, and it doesn't taste like soy milk or tofu.  Made some yesterday and there is a bit left in the fridge - texture rather firmer, not sure how to describe it - not as appealing to my palate! I think unchilled is better. The chilli powder is to give it the Mexican touch, and add a bit of zing and supposedly to add some "depth" to the flavour. Unless you are a chilli lover, I reckon leave it out. You could probably experiment with some orange flavoured chocolate, or a roasted nut choc...hmmm, might try it myself and let you know. S

Kiera: You'd need to get a dairy free version of the choc for this recipe to be truly vegan :-D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:51:03 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Vegan Mexican Chocolate Pudding
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:01:04 pm »
Although we are not vegan this sounds really interesting so might give it a go. Thanks sourpuss. Great effort  :-* :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:54 am »
I have often wondered about tofu - can you actually taste it in this recipe sourpuss (oh and welcome to the forum by the way). I think I have read where tofu has no flavour so it takes on the other flavours in the dish.  If it is good for you I wouldn't mind trying this as long as I can fool DH into not realising it is that healthy.  If you are eating it hot instead of cooling it, does it have the texture of say, normal custard. What does the chilli powder do for the dish  ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline sourpuss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:19:29 pm »
Hi. We have eaten the pudding room temp or slightly warmer, and the texture is really smooth like a good custard, and it doesn't taste like soy milk or tofu.  Made some yesterday and there is a bit left in the fridge - texture rather firmer, not sure how to describe it - not as appealing to my palate! I think unchilled is better. The chilli powder is to give it the Mexican touch, and add a bit of zing and supposedly to add some "depth" to the flavour. Unless you are a chilli lover, I reckon leave it out. You could probably experiment with some orange flavoured chocolate, or a roasted nut choc...hmmm, might try it myself and let you know. S

ps thanks for the welcome

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »
Thanks sourpuss and welcome.  Sounds great.  I think that it would be almost like junket for us oldies. Silken tofu is my fav type, but MrsT doesn't like it because it is so soft.  She doesn't like junket.  This might actually be a milk-free version of Isi's famous choc number !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline kiera

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:46:29 pm »
You'd need to get a dairy free version of the choc for this recipe to be truly vegan :-D

Sounds delish though, I will give it a try!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:47:43 am »
You could use the 70% cocoa Lindt chocolate - it's dairy free!  (Or make your own)
Sounds yummy, thanks sourpuss, and welcome!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
My DS9 made this tonight - even though it had tofu in it. He left out the chilli and said he liked it. My DS6 wanted to heat his up and preferred it warm.

I added the chilli to my portion. The flavour was nice but I would grate the chocolate first and set it aside and then add it back in after, as it was a bit chunky rather than silky smooth.

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Kristy-Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »
What else can you use instead of chocolate? Carob?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:25 pm »
You can use carob instead of chocolate Kristy-Anne.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.