Author Topic: Cyndi O'Meara's vegetarian sausage rolls  (Read 72717 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Cyndi O'Meara's vegetarian sausage rolls
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »

Made these tonight.  They were a HUGE hit!  My husband and I who aren't vegetarian preferred them to meat sausage rolls, the vegetarians loved them and the meatlover ate them (probably just out of defense of his carnivore lifestyle--although I didn't tell him they were vego at first.  He said they were okay but a bit wierd.  Then he saw his older siblings eating them and cottoned on!)

Anyway, the recipe seems a bit wierd, but they are absolutely delicous, so I recommend giving them a try, although the recipe is very similar to the "cottage rolls" posted below and this seems even healthier so next time I'm going to try that variation, with layers of phyllo to try and make them even more healthy (then I can drink more Margaritas, right? . . . see my post under drinks . . . mmmmmmmm ;D ;D ;D)
http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/node/17055
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:53:43 am by Lellyj »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Cyndi O'Meara's vegetarian sausage rolls
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:48:35 am »
I have made these a few times and have had to pass the recipe out. They are good.

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:06 am »
I was very doubtful with this recipe and everyone saying that they didn't know that they had not meat in them....unitil I made them.  Definitely fooled the crowds - DH calls them no sausage rolls  ;)
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »
These are a complete hit in our house too - both kids hoover them down, and guests cant believe there is no meat in them.  I add in a couple of medium carrots at the stage of blitzing the onion - just to hide some extra veg in them.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Mum to Four

• Mum to four boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:28:27 am »
Oh my goodness these were a hit!

My in-laws are vegetarian and this is the first ever recipe my father-in-law has requested for my mother-in-law to make.....massive compliment!

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:47 pm »
I've made these a few times too and they go down really well, even with the die hard Carnivores.

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:16 am »
I've made these a couple of times too and my meat loving family loves them.  Have wowed family and friends and amazed them with the fact they are vego. Really easy to make and fantastic with the EDC puff pastry.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:58:26 pm »
I made there this evening as part of our supper.DH couldn't believe they didn't contain meat as he ate every morsel.Next time I would only use 2 eggs as the mixture was still a little wet even after letting it stand.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:04:37 am »
Made these tonight, and I used 2 eggs also as CC suggested, and popped the mix in the fridge for 30 minutes before putting on the pastry.

Hubby didn't believe there wasn't meat in them, so I had to show him the recipe  :P
I found it a little bit bland for my taste....so I might try using Worcestershire sauce instead of tamari, and add in some carrot too.
It was nice though to have a "sausage roll" that wasn't greasy  8)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline felmingham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »
I made these today. They are delish!!!

So tasty, but unfortunately not low calories. So will have to limit my intake. Have told my partner I have made him some sausage rolls but he hasn't tried yet. I will see if he notices they aren't meat! I wouldn't have known if I hadn't made them.

I made them with the butter puff pastry from woolies only issue I had was trying to put the mixture on the puff pastry and then roll. I think having a piping bag would make it a lot easier. Might try that next time.

Wish mine looked as good as maddy's picture though.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
i don't know if this will help anyone, but if you don't have a piping bag, I've always used a fork when making sausage rolls and its never been a problem
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »
I usually just make a line of filling down the middle and use two spoons or forks to shape it before rolling.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:52 pm »
Last time I made these I prepared the filling the night before and refrigerated. I found it easier to work with. 
Denise

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »
If you're using bought pastry I find it better to not fully thaw it as well. So long as you can roll it without cracking, it is easier than will fully thawed soft pastry.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »
Oh yes, learnt that lesson also. Hard to get them to look nice if you thaw the pastry too much.
Denise