Author Topic: Bean Goulash  (Read 13577 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Bean Goulash
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:25:01 am »
BEAN GOULASH

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

•   100 g black-eyed beans )
•   100 g aduki beans           ) soaked overnight (or use 3 cans assorted beans)
•   1 tbsp oil
•   2 garlic cloves,  peeled
•   1 onion, quartered
•   1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped roughly
•   2 tsp caraway seeds
•   1 tbsp paprika (or more to taste)
•   Pinch sugar
•   1 tsp vinegar
•   1 can chopped tomatoes
•   200 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
•   4 tbsp natural yoghurt
•   Chopped parsley for garnish

Method:

   Drain beans, rinse and cover with cold water.  Bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender.   (This can be done in the Thermomix at 100, speed spoon)

   Add onion, garlic and oil to Thermomix and  chop on 5 for 5 seconds.  Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula and  cook on Varoma , speed 2 for 3 minutes.  

   Add paprika and caraways seeds  and cook on Varoma, speed 2 for 2 minutes,  

   Add tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, sugar and vinegar.

   Cook for 4 minutes , 100, speed 2  :-:

Drain beans and add them to the bowl.   Cook for 3 minutes, 100, speed 2  :-:

   Stir in half the yoghurt, and  season with salt and pepper to taste.

   Serve, garnished with rest of yoghourt and chopped parsley and brown rice if required

Comments
This hasn't been tested in the TMX as my kitchen is out of action at the moment, but is posted as a response from someone wanting an aduki bean recipe.    Feedback would be welcome, negative as well as positive !

Cathy63: I soaked my beans overnight, and cooked for about 35 minutes.  They were a little tough still, but thought that they might cook more at the end.  Also, I cooked them in the morning and had them in the fridge all day until I made dinner.  So they were quite hard when I put them in the goulash to reheat.  So I wouldn't suggest doing it that way.

Tebsaile: Soaked black beans need between 1h and 1h 30 min. I would cook these in the basket and add after 30 min the adzuki beans.

Katya: The beans I used were black-eyed beans rather than black beans.... 45 minutes cooking was fine for them.

ozzy-dj: I have cooked chickpeas to use for humis and found they cook faster in the TMX than on the stove. My first try were a bit overcooked even when I shortened the time for my first look. Last night I wanted black beans and added them to brown rice cooked in the basket while the varoma cooked something else. I soaked the rice and the black beans in hot water about 45 minutes then in the TMX only 20 minutes and the beans were great. Made an interesting contrast with the brown rice.
I have found beans if soaked first, cook in the TMX about inbetween pressurcooker and stove top times.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:49:47 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Bean Goulash
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:55 am »
Sounds good Katya - thanks.  The method sounds, except I'd maybe add the beans a bit later - after cooking mushrooms and tomato, and maybe use reverse for when the beans go in ?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:00 pm »
I think you're right Thermomixer - I've adjusted it accordingly

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:13:19 am »
Katya - thanks so much for sharing this recipe, even untested.

I'm afraid that I didn't make a good "test cook" for your recipe.  I've never cooked beans before (or eaten them), TMX or otherwise so wasn't really sure how to know when they were ready.

I'm sure it is a fantastic recipe, and if someone who does know how to cook beans can test it and tweak it, then I'll be glad to try it again.  I liked the flavours, but the actual beans were a bit of a mess - but that's a reflection of my inexperience.

For anyone who has cooked beans in TMX - I do recommend you give this a go!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:19:35 am »
i don't know know much about black eyed beans, but perhaps look at a chilli con carne recipe that uses red kidney beans for a little guidance maybe as those beans are added in at the end  ??? ???
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:11 am »
I have amended the recipe following Thermomixer's input and the beans now get added later on in the process and  :-: is used.

I will try and do this again myself but at the moment the kitchen is pretty much out of action as I am having work done on the cellars which requires access through the kitchen and a mountain of dust..... and the AGA has chosen this moment to break down meaning I have no oven....   The TMX has been put away as I don't want it contaminated by the dust

Hopefully all will be well by the end of next week....but whether I will still have my sanity by then is another question  :-\

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:34:49 am »
if you use beans taht have been soaked but not cooked (which is what i would do) i'm worried that wouldn't be enough cooking to put them in at the start - are the beans meant to be cooked first as well as soaked?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:57 am »
Step 1 of the process is to cook the beans for 45 minutes.    I'm not sure what the timing would be to cook them in the TMX but I assume it would be the same time.

The few minutes at the end is just to heat them up and let them absorb some of the flavours of the goulash.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »
I soaked my beans overnight, and cooked for about 35 minutes.  They were a little tough still, but thought that they might cook more at the end.  Also, I cooked them in the morning and had them in the fridge all day until I made dinner.  So they were quite hard when I put them in the goulash to reheat.  So I wouldn't suggest doing it that way.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »
oh DOH i missed that step  :-)) please resume ignoring me  ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:18 am »
LOL - when I saw your post I thought "Doh - that's not smart - they'll be like bullets!"  Yes, the timing for cooking beans varies so much based on varieties and how fresh they are.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:33:27 am »
Soaked black beans need between 1h and 1h 30 min. I would cook these in the basket and add after 30 min the adzuki beans.
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 01:50:55 am »
This sounds like something that I and probably only I  :-)) :-)) :-)) would love for lunch or dinner. DH would eat it and the kids would suffer it lol. Think I need to go bean shopping  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »
Soaked black beans need between 1h and 1h 30 min. I would cook these in the basket and add after 30 min the adzuki beans.

The beans I used were black-eyed beans rather than black beans.... 45 minutes cooking was fine for them.

I think the moral is that different beans take different amounts of time and, when used for the first time, it is worth checking on them periodically as overcooked beans produce mush and undercooked beans produe indigestion  :D :D

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:10 am »
Only slightly related to this recipe,  I have cooked chickpeas to use for humis and found they cook faster in the TMX than on the stove. My first try were a bit overcooked even when I shortened the time for my first look. Last night I wanted black beans and added them to brown rice cooked in the basket while the varoma cooked something else. I soaked the rice and the black beans in hot water about 45 minutes then in the TMX only 20 minutes and the beans were great. Made an interesting contrast with the brown rice.

I have found beans if soaked first, cook in the TMX about inbetween pressurcooker and stove top times.

dj