Author Topic: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?  (Read 70302 times)

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
Re: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »
Recipe for my mash. 1kg potatoes diced into 2cm cubes 250mls lite milk or full if you prefer, a little salt. Cook @ 100deg for 20min or so on ^^. When cooked turn speed to 4 for approx 30sec add a dob of butter and a little milk if required. YUMBO

Love it!

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:53:13 pm »

Recipe:
750gm floury potatoes cut into 2cm cubes
500gm water
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
40gm butter
100gm stock
100gm milk or  cream

Can I ask a (probably silly) question about the stock?  Does 100gm stock mean 100gm water with some TMX stock concentrate stirred into it, and how many tablespoons of the concentrate would you typically use for this recipe?  Thanks in advance.  I'm a newcomer and still on my L-plates!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:59 pm »
I did Nico's version the other night but the TM bowl was so much harder to clean than when the diced potatoes are cooked in the steaming basket and only put in the bowl for the mashing process.
Bellesy, I find 100mls stock + 100g milk far too much liquid so have only been adding a little milk and butter, checking it after a few seconds and adding more liquid until I get the consistency I want.  If you want to use some stock, I would just use some of the 'potato water'.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

Can I ask a (probably silly) question about the stock?  Does 100gm stock mean 100gm water with some TMX stock concentrate stirred into it, and how many tablespoons of the concentrate would you typically use for this recipe?  Thanks in advance.  I'm a newcomer and still on my L-plates!

100g water and start with a teaspoon of stock concentrate - you can add more if you like - I don't use the stock concentrate - just water and milk.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 03:52:03 am »

Bellesy, I find 100mls stock + 100g milk far too much liquid so have only been adding a little milk and butter, checking it after a few seconds and adding more liquid until I get the consistency I want.  If you want to use some stock, I would just use some of the 'potato water'.

100g water and start with a teaspoon of stock concentrate - you can add more if you like - I don't use the stock concentrate - just water and milk.

Thank you both for your replies!  Sounds like I need to experiment a bit.

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:03 am »
*slaps self* mashed for 4 mins ! Tasted okay but a bit like hospital food!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:56 am »
I just made this variation tonight for the first time. I used 20g butter, 50g chicken stock (concentrate mixed with water) and 50g cream.  Very rich, but divine! :)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:46 am »
I always use the UK version to cook the potatoes and then do variations according to what I am serving eg.

Add good quality olive oil instead of butter or milk and then possibly add spring onions. 

Add horseradish paste and milk - good with, eg. mackerel or beef

Add roasted garlic

I have thought about putting a clove of garlic in with the potatoes as they are cooking but haven't got round to trying it yet - like a lot of my ideas, they take ages to come to fruition  :-[

I find that it takes a different amount of time to mash each time I do it, so I do as JD does and only run it for a few secs. before checking and adding more liquid if necessary.   Not a very scientific approach but it seems to work for me.

Offline Burgerb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 09:38:00 am »
Just made Shayla's mash, very yummy, super easy to clean bowl and only mashed for 3 sec!
I didn't add salt, just butter, 100g milk and small half teaspoon of Quirky's chicken concentrate paste.
BB

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:25 am »
Regarding the Mash - here in South Africa I tried the mash from the cookbook and it was like white sauce; so then I tried the UK recipe book mthod - much more success.

Recipe:
750gm floury potatoes cut into 2cm cubes
500gm water
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
40gm butter
100gm stock
100gm milk or  cream

Place potatoes in internal steaming basket.
Weigh water add salt and insert basket
Cook 15mins Varoma temp speed spoon
Cook until tender - do not mash uncooked potatoes or it will be glue!

Drain potatoes.
Insert butterfly whish and add stock milk cream (or as I do an egg) and seasion to taste.
Mash for 2 -10 seconds at speed 4.

This is the best recipe!

Shayla from Cape Town

I have been a little scared of making mashed potato in my TM as I have heard a lot of mixed reviews and we looooove our mash in this house and well you can understand my fear of failure  :-\

I made this last night and it was perfect!  I did omit the stock as I felt that 100g of milk and 40g of butter was enough liquid and I am glad I did as otherwise I would have had a sloppy mess I reckon.  I also added a shake of garlic salt instead of normal salt which added to its deliciousness  ;)

Anyhow I thought I would bump this one up as there are a lot more members than when this recipe was posted, and like me they may be avoiding making mash.

Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:47 am »
knittercook, thanks for bumping this up. Will definately give it a go.  :-*
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 06:32:38 am »
HI
I am looking forward to trying this when I get my TMX next week as we love mash. I am wondering what type of potatoes are "floury" in Australia.  YOu now all know that I am not much of a cook if I dont already know this....!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 06:55:51 am »
Definitely not Kestral potatoes GHM, they are terrible for cooking and mashing in the TMX.  I find the red ones are pretty good, don't know if they are classed as floury or not.  I was always under the impression floury potatoes were old potatoes but someone will know more than me about potatoes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:17 am »
I looked up potatoes and suggested floury types (here in England anyway) are Estima, King Edward, Maris Piper and Desiree.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:54 pm »
I hate Estima spuds Dot :D :D Love all the rest you have suggested. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.