Author Topic: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?  (Read 70306 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:44:07 am »
Regarding the Mash - here in South Africa I tried the mash from the cookbook and it was like white sauce; so then I tried the UK recipe book mthod - much more success.

Recipe:
750gm floury potatoes cut into 2cm cubes
500gm water
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
40gm butter
100gm stock
100gm milk or  cream

Place potatoes in internal steaming basket.
Weigh water add salt and insert basket
Cook 15mins Varoma temp speed spoon
Cook until tender - do not mash uncooked potatoes or it will be glue!

Drain potatoes.
Insert butterfly whish and add stock milk cream (or as I do an egg) and seasion to taste.
Mash for 2 -10 seconds at speed 4.

This is the best recipe!

Shayla from Cape Town

Shayla: Glad you like the mash - to make it for a special occasion I grate 3-4 courgettes before doing the mash squeeze out the juice and when the mash is finished just stir in the courgettes and a little grated parmesan - makes it a bit special for a dinner party.

Ceejay: I must confess, I added 2 chopped shallots to mine too!

christomo: Recipe for my mash. 1kg potatoes diced into 2cm cubes 250mls lite milk or full if you prefer, a little salt. Cook @ 100deg for 20min or so on . When cooked turn speed to 4 for approx 30sec add a dob of butter and a little milk if required. YUMBO

Janeezee:1kg potatoes peeled & cubed + 200-250g water placed in bowl with the butterfly already inserted.  Cook 15-20 mins on Varoma & speed 1 until pots have softened & started to break up.  Season with S & P add 20g EVOO or 20-40g butter & mash on sp 3-4 for 30 seconds.
From "Entertaining with Nico" recipe booklet

Bellsey: Can I ask a (probably silly) question about the stock?  Does 100gm stock mean 100gm water with some TMX stock concentrate stirred into it, and how many tablespoons of the concentrate would you typically use for this recipe?  Thanks in advance.  I'm a newcomer and still on my L-plates!

JD: Bellesy, I find 100mls stock + 100g milk far too much liquid so have only been adding a little milk and butter, checking it after a few seconds and adding more liquid until I get the consistency I want.  If you want to use some stock, I would just use some of the 'potato water'.
I did Nico's version the other night but the TM bowl was so much harder to clean than when the diced potatoes are cooked in the steaming basket and only put in the bowl for the mashing process.

Thermomixer: 100g water and start with a teaspoon of stock concentrate - you can add more if you like - I don't use the stock concentrate - just water and milk.

Chelsea: I just made this variation tonight for the first time. I used 20g butter, 50g chicken stock (concentrate mixed with water) and 50g cream.  Very rich, but divine!

Katya: I always use the UK version to cook the potatoes and then do variations according to what I am serving eg.
Add good quality olive oil instead of butter or milk and then possibly add spring onions. 
Add horseradish paste and milk - good with, eg. mackerel or beef
Add roasted garlic

Burgerb: Just made Shayla's mash, very yummy, super easy to clean bowl and only mashed for 3 sec!
I didn't add salt, just butter, 100g milk and small half teaspoon of Quirky's chicken concentrate paste.

Knittercook:I made this last night and it was perfect!  I did omit the stock as I felt that 100g of milk and 40g of butter was enough liquid and I am glad I did as otherwise I would have had a sloppy mess I reckon.  I also added a shake of garlic salt instead of normal salt which added to its deliciousness

Chocolatte: I made mashed potatoes last night using the recipe from MWOC. I used pink potatoes and cooked them for the specified 25 mins. I had cooked white potatoes using the EDc's method on the previous occasion and found that the potatoes needed further cooking after the specified 20 minutes. I have discovered that the required time varies greatly depending on the type of potato. After cooking the pink potatoes for 25 minutes, using the butterfly on speed 1, they already looked mashed!
My TMX seemed to be jumping around on the bench more than it used to when mashing. I'm not sure how to tell if it is a problem or not.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:27:50 pm by Cornish Cream »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:44:48 am »
Thanks for this Shayla.  It's great and the bowl is so much easier to clean.  I don't follow the EDC anymore as that was too rich and 'false' but I had it down to a fine art doing it my own way.  Not any longer - your way for me from now on, mainly for the cleaning aspect as the taste is the same as it used to be for me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:18 pm »
This is the only way I will do mashed potatoes now, in fact I made them tonight.  They turn out perfect.

Thanks Shayla.   ;D

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »
Glad you like the mash - to make it for a special occasion I grate 3-4 courgettes before doing the mash squeeze out the juice and when the mash is finished just stir in the courgettes and a little grated parmesan - makes it a bit special for a dinner party.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »
Glad you like the mash - to make it for a special occasion I grate 3-4 courgettes before doing the mash squeeze out the juice and when the mash is finished just stir in the courgettes and a little grated parmesan - makes it a bit special for a dinner party.
That sounds delish! grated courgettes with parmesan, do you grate them in the THX?
Amanda

Spain

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:56:25 pm »
Yes of course I grate them in the TM!! :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:17:36 am »
Yum...

I must confess, I added 2 chopped shallots to mine too! :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »
Sounds a tad Irish - champ
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline christomo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:33 am »
Recipe for my mash. 1kg potatoes diced into 2cm cubes 250mls lite milk or full if you prefer, a little salt. Cook @ 100deg for 20min or so on ^^. When cooked turn speed to 4 for approx 30sec add a dob of butter and a little milk if required. YUMBO
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:18:54 am by christomo »
Self employed with DH
Mother of 2

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 02:27:17 am »
Sounds good.  ta

For those who thought that I was taking the mickey (Irish - get it ??!!) out of Ceejay - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Champ/Detail.aspx
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:22 am »
Spring onions growing, this is on tonight's menu - don't you just love all those reviews on that site Thermomixer.  We can dream I guess ;) ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 03:11:29 am »
Yep - slightly bigger audience - but we are progressing.  :-* to all reviewers.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »
Sounds a tad Irish - champ

Must've come from me grandmother.. she was born in Tipperary. ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:42:15 pm »
Christomo's recipe sounds pretty similar to Nico's which is the one I use these days:

1kg potatoes peeled & cubed + 200-250g water placed in bowl with the butterfly already inserted.  Cook 15-20 mins on Varoma & speed 1 until pots have softened & started to break up.  Season with S & P add 20g EVOO or 20-40g butter & mash on sp 3-4 for 30 seconds.

From "Entertaining with Nico" recipe booklet

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:37:06 am »
We use Nico's recipe too.  Very nice.  :)