Author Topic: Blueberry Jam  (Read 19589 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Blueberry Jam
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:33 am »
Blueberry Jam
Yield: 1 medium - large jar
Ingredients:
250g blueberries
75g lemon (peeled and chopped in large chunks)
130g sugar
1 tbsp citric pectin

Preparation:
Add lemon to TMX bowl and chop at sp 4 for 3 seconds.
Add all other ingredients to bowl.
Cook 30 mins at 100 degrees, speed 1. If desired consistency not achieved, cook further 5 - 10 mins on Varoma temp at speed 1.
Pour into sterilised jars.

Notes:
For some reason, I had a small burnt on area on the bottom of my bowl when I had poured the jam out. Maybe needed to have speed a little higher?
Also tried a tip from UK site, to turn jar upside down after adding jam and sealing it. I would recommend this only if you have new jars. I ended up with jam all over the bench!
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry Jam
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:27:42 am »
I bought some blueberry jam when I was at a blueberry farm near Albany last year. It was lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
I had a go today - about 250g blueberries (frozen), 125g sugar, half an apple, and half a peeled lemon - wanted to make sure it set ok, given I wasn't using jamsetta etc. Cooked for 30 mins on 100 then another 20 on varoma. If anything it is a bit too set. Would def make again, but next time perhaps doubling the blueberries, same proportion sugar (ie half the weight of the berries) and maybe half an apple and half a lemon again - or perhaps just one of these.. The small amount of apple does give it a nice taste. That way I would get a few jars, and might be a bit less set. Or perhaps omit the varoma part.
Yum. Raspberry jam tomorrow!
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:34 am »
Congratulations Deb - on the jam and the news of a new baby.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:46 am »
Well I decided to make this jam using my frozen blueberries. It turned out quite runny when finished so I added extra time, set on varoma and added a lot more jamsetta. This time it has set but seems to be quite tart in flavour, which I don't actually mind. Not sure if it's from the lemon or the jamsetta.

I haven't waited for it to go cold but I think it's cheaper to buy it at the shops as it doesn't really make much. The one I usually get is very good so I might stick with it.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:26 am »
the best for making jam is really ripe fruit and if you have a friend or neighbour with a bush or tree thats the go...my neighbour gave me heaps of plums last year and it made very nice jam or get fruit very ripe at the end of the season...usually cheaper and more flavour...i only make jam when i get heaps of fruit from somewhere otherwise i dont bother  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
I made this last night with debetha's method. I have a freezer full of blueberries my boyfriend picked for me in Prince Edward Island (home of Anne of Green Gables!) but am getting sick of blueberry smoothies already. 

I didn't have pectin in my pantry, so I tried it with half an apple.  I blitzed up the half lemon (no peel) and half apple (with peel) with the ~125 g sugar to start, then added the 250 g blueberries and cooked 100 for 20 min, then 2 additional 5 min cooks to get it to gel a little more.  I had a plate cooling in the fridge and then drizzled some jam on it to check whether it was setting.

Worked great!  On the tart side (I probably put a bit less sugar than 125 g) but that's the way I like it.  And so easy in thermie!!

Bonsai

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »
Sounds wonderful Laura

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »
Laura,  thanks for the info.  Do the blue berries hold their shape or are smashed up?

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:32:34 am »
Oops, just realized I missed replying to this thread!  @achookwoman, the blueberries do break down quite a bit, but they aren't pulverized in the thermomix.  The jam had a nice texture.  About to make my second batch tonight!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:32 am »
I made a berry jam a while ago which had blueberries in and was quite tart. It was tasty but not worthy of posting. I should have used this recipe.  :-\

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 06:55:40 am »
We went blueberry picking today :) so I have a LOT of berries to get through! Has anyone tried this in bigger batches?
Off to hunt down more blueberry recipes now...
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 07:27:40 am »
How wonderful to be able to go blueberry picking. Have fun turning them into delicious food.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 08:40:40 am »
We did the same after Christmas Jo.  These muffins are delicious http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2394.0
Also the scrolls with blueberries from quirky cooking http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/brioche-cinnamon-scrolls-prepare-ahead.html?m=1

Happy cooking.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »
Jo,  I have added blueberries to other berries to make jam.  The frozen raspberries are good with the blueberries.  Also the blueberry and chocochip muffins are very nice.  Could also use some stewed in the Belgium Lemon Tea Cake instead of the Lemon.