Author Topic: FREEZING LIST  (Read 51764 times)

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
Re: Re: FREEZING LIST
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:19 am »
My SIL has an abundance of eggs and asked how to and this is the Ido on freezing
Following are some easy instructions for freezing eggs:

Whole Eggs: To freeze whole eggs or yolks crack them into a bowl and gently stir to break up the yolk somewhat. Try not to incorporate air into the eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of eggs. They can be kept frozen for a year, and should be thawed in the refrigerator the day before you intend to use them.

Egg Yolks: To inhibit yolks from getting lumpy during storage, stir in a 1/2-teaspoon salt per 1-cup of egg or yolks. If using for desserts, use 1-tablespoon sugar or corn syrup per 1-cup yolks or whole eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of egg yolks. Use up extra egg yolks in recipes like sauces, custards, ice cream, yellow cakes, mayonnaise, scrambled eggs, and cooked puddings.

Egg Whites: Raw egg whites do not suffer from freezing (cooked egg whites are very rubbery). No salt or sugar is needed. Break and separate the eggs one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets into the whites. Pour into trays and freeze until firm. Label the container with the date and the number of egg whites. Use up extra egg whites in boiled frostings (i.e., 7-minute frosting), meringue cookies, angel food cake, white cakes, or meringue for pies.

Hard-Cook Egg Yolks: Hard-cooked egg yolks can be frozen to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least 1-inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, in the hot water about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and package for freezing.

Hard-cooked whole eggs and whites become tough and watery when frozen, so don't freeze them.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: FREEZING LIST
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:39 am »
Does anyone know if rice pudding freezes and defrosts well?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:44 am »
I've never done it Amy but I found this comment on the web by someone who did on this forum -

"I love rice pudding too and my picky kids won't touch it!??? So I did try freezing it...once....it was pretty gross....very mushy and the texture was really weird afterwards...the flavour was the same but it was watery and the rice was grainy and mushy."
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 08:40:54 am »
Aha... I think that might be a "no" then ;D ;D

Thanks Judy :-* :-*

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 09:54:12 am »
I've never done it Amy but I found this comment on the web by someone who did on this forum -

"I love rice pudding too and my picky kids won't touch it!??? So I did try freezing it...once....it was pretty gross....very mushy and the texture was really weird afterwards...the flavour was the same but it was watery and the rice was grainy and mushy."

Don't know how you do it, Judy!! :D

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:21 am »
Ditto that GF!! ;D