Author Topic: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)  (Read 102118 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Detergent
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 04:58:39 pm »
Well I don't know really, :'( :'( :'( I poured it into the compartment and its On its final rinse now! So hopefully in 10 mins it will be perfect!  ??? ??? ???
I would guess maybe half a glass full, 125ml? I think, but next time I will look properly! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 12:14:07 am »
I am looking forward to hearing the verdict, this looks like a great thing to make and so cheap!
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:17 am »
Bron, have you got a front end loader?  Mine is a top loader so there is no compartment to put it in.  I think the front ends use less than tops, don't they?  If I can get the soap when I go to the shops this morning, I will be making this later today. Does it froth up?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 01:15:36 am »
heehee front end loader sorry judydawn, i read it and something was tickling my funnybone and i couldn't work out what. then i came back to the post and googled ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32:27 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D What are they called - just a front loader maybe.  Anyway, I'm sure Bron will work it out what I meant. You have a quick mind for this time of the morning Karen :D :D :D :D

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 03:14:42 pm »
Mine is a top loader! But it does have a compartment, hey the soap washes fantastic! Not a stain or mark on anything, and it smells lovely. Have done 3 loads now, and I used a small beaker cup (one of the kids) I would say maybe 100ml to 125ml approx. Guess you could just insert it in a ball thing or pour straight onto clothes, after all its only soap! ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:06 am »
Thanks bron - sounds great - we have yellow velvet soap, but years ago I saw a similar recipe using that so it should be OK.

Yeah, I had a front end loader for the farm - god to be able to laugh at ourselves. 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:16 am »
Hi bron - modified the recipe to 330g water and 250ml ammonia - hope that's right?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06:24 am »
Hey Thermomixer, that wouldn't be enough liquid would it?  Using Bron's 1.3 litres makes a gooey mixture, the lesser amount would be too stiff I would have thought. I have my washing machine going as we speak so will post my verdict later.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 04:05:38 am »
Yep, pretty sure it was supposed to be 1300g water :)

I'll be making this soonish! I wonder if I still have ammonia here somewhere.
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 08:14:47 am »
1'3 is one litre and 300ml, or grams

Thakns JD - have fixed it - in my haste last night I misread it to be 300ml - thought she was saying 1/3 litre - thanks v. much
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
Hey Thermomixer, that wouldn't be enough liquid would it?  Using Bron's 1.3 litres makes a gooey mixture, the lesser amount would be too stiff I would have thought. I have my washing machine going as we speak so will post my verdict later.
Yes 1300g in total of water and 250 ammonia.
JD how did it wash, mine is great, lovely smell and no stains, which is excellent as have seem to have 3 very dirty kids at the end of eash day! Wouldn't change them! ;) But the soap is great, I won't be buy washing powder again! ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:57 am »
It was great Bron - do you wash in cold or hot water?  We do cold washes here (no greasy clothes to worry about) and I had to help the white goo sort of dissolve at the beginning although I'm sure it would have done so in it's own good time. I'm Mrs Impatient and wanted to see if it made bubbles or not so gave it a hand.  Think I might dissolve it in hot water next time and just add that mixture to the load.  Probably used 1/2 cup and it wasn't frothy but then washing powder isn't either if you use the recommended amount.  So cheap to make and will last me for ages - I only need to wash every 7-10 days - aren't I lucky!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:46 am »
Oh Wow every week, how amaaazing is that! I wash at least once a day, and at weekends the poor sod is on all day! Thats the problem with 3 very dirty kids who also swim and train daily, so it seems to be lots of towels and sports stuff too!
I wash normally at 40º, but I don't think that you would need to mix it with hot water first. Remember this is the soap that our grandmothers used with no washing machines or hot water! ;) ;) ;) I reckon it will be fine Judy! After all it is a liquid.
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 12:49:13 pm »
i wish i could wash only once a week too!!! (though dh does most of ours anyway ;)) we are the same as you bron, with 3 kids. we have 2 washing lines  :D

i need to make me some of this :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog