Author Topic: Lip Balm  (Read 16740 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
Lip Balm
« on: August 11, 2011, 06:39:04 am »
So this is my first attempt at making my own lip balm, so anyone's advice or experiences would be appreciated!

Lip Balm

2 T beeswax
2 T shea butter
2 T coconut oil
few drops of your favourite essential oil or flavouring eg. vanilla or chocolate!

Firstly melt the beeswax, i started the temperature at 60 degrees but it wasnt melting too well, so went upto 70 then eventually 80 degrees.  it took a few minutes to melt, around 3 minutes.
Then add the shea butter and coconut oil and continuing melting at 90 degrees.  Add oils or flavours now.  
It only took around a minute or two for this to melt into a liquid.  Then pour into small containers and allow to set.

I am presently waiting for mine to set, but i have tested it while still warm and it feels lovely and moisturising on my lips!

I got this recipe off of a wonderful website i have been spending alot of time on lately called organic authority
oh one last thing i wasnt sure how well the beeswax in particular would come off of the tm bowl, but after washing it out well with hot water i can not feel or see any residue on the bowl.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:04:44 pm by em »
Emma from Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lip Balm
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:42:20 am »
Good one em, where did you get the ingredients for this please?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:23 am »
hi judy, just from my local health food store, and not too badly priced for the amount of lip gloss i will be able to make from it.  was so simple to make, i certainly wont be buying anymore lip glosses!
Emma from Victoria

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »
Could this be made without the coconut oil? or could some other oil be substituted for the coconut?
thx
Gillian

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »
i would try sweet almond oil, olive oil or avocado oil. i havent tested any of these as yet but it might be worth having a play around.
Emma from Victoria

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:44 am »
what type of shea butter did you use? Refined or Unrefined? My health food shop doesn't have any so I need to shop online, very confusing ??? ???

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:18 am »
hi red kell
i dont know a great deal about the different types of shea butter, i just purchased whatever my health food store had.  but after googling it, it sounds like the unrefined shea butter has the most effective moisturising qualities as refined shea butter is sometimes bleached and heated to high temperatures. 
good luck and let me know how you go with this.
Emma from Victoria

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »
Something to know about shea butter or any butters for that matter (mango etc), they will 'crystallise' after being melted and cooled. The crystallisation may not occur for a couple of months, but it makes the lip balm grainy.

Oh, and good quality shea butter can be bought from Aussie Soap Supplies online. It has been refined, but uses clays instead of chemicals.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:19:47 pm by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »
Thanks so much for the tips and the link!