Author Topic: Making actual bar soap (cold process)  (Read 28614 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Making actual bar soap (cold process)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:39 am »
Thanks - it is serious business !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:09:37 am »
Thanks Megan. Have you ever made it in the TM? I have made 4 batches of CP soap now (using stick blender, etc) but too scared to try TM.

I don't really mind using the stovetop and stock pot :)
Row

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 05:23:24 am »
Hi!
No, I haven't made it in the TM. I never actually thought to as I make large batches - 2.5 to 4kg. It definitely could be done, but it would be best to have a second jug dedicated to just that. The TM is perfect for soap as it's stainless steel and heavy duty plastic. Just don't use your good spatula, I'm not sure how it would hold up. Get another one just for soap.

I forgot to add that lye and soap batter is very caustic. Wear gloves and eye goggles.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 02:33:19 pm »
i started making soap a little while after getting my tm, and the thought did run through my head to use the tm to make it, but i think i prefer to make 2.5 kg batches of soap, and that won't fit into the tm. size aside, i think raw soap is so caustic it would be awful to ruin the tm in any way with a little splatter of raw soap.
btw, there is nothing which compares to homemade soap - i is so nice to use i never want to ever buy commercial soap again.

Offline karenaltmann32

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 05:29:03 am »
Hi,  I've made a couple of batches of soap in my TM, its fabulous for melting the oils because I only heat it to 37oC.  I make the caustic solution separately and let it cool down heaps, I do have an old seal so I have that in my soap making kit and use it when I mix it.  I carefully tip the solution into the TM with the lid off and slowly turn it up to speed 4/5.  I wouldn't go past that and I only do a litre batch at a time.  It hasn't damaged anything and when I made a batch of castille soap I was happy I blended it that way as it took a good ten minutes.  However I usually like to make at least a triple batch of soap so I usually use my stock pot and stick blender too.  Have been thinking it would be better to use a bakers sized blender to make the soap in the quantities I need to make   :)  If you do try making the cp soap in your TM do be careful and take all the necessary precautions caustic is very serious stuff and can really cause damage to us, our pets and our children.  There are some good YouTube videos about soap making  :)