Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 138786 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »

Ever consider a Butter Bell.  We use one and the butter stays on the counter all day and night.  Never had a problem.   There's a lot of similar products available, but I think this was the original...  http://www.butterbell.com/

Interesting concept Warren - but LOL - in our climate at present, we would have probably have a pool of melted butter in the base in the morning.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:12 pm »
It comes out of the fridge in the morning and goes back after dinner ...

Ever consider a Butter Bell.  We use one and the butter stays on the counter all day and night.  Never had a problem.   There's a lot of similar products available, but I think this was the original...  http://www.butterbell.com/

What a great idea, I love it, but how much do they hold? It looks like we would use it up in one sitting LOL
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 03:14:09 pm »
It holds about a quarter pound (one stick/1/2 cup).  They work really well.  We've had one for years.

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 03:37:04 am »
I can't wait to do this :D
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 01:00:17 pm »
Could someone please tell me how many grams of butter 500ml of cream would make? Does 500ml of cream = 500g? I've been assuming that it does  :P

With all the extra baking I've been doing since I got the TM, we've been going through 1kg a week  :o

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 01:44:38 pm »
It would be a bit less as you get left with buttermilk after you have made the butter, Im guessing its going to be about 400g of butter or a bit less

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
Thanks! I did it once, pre-baby #3  ;) I can get pure cream in 2L bottles from my local food wholesaler instead of 600mL cartons from the supermarket :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:31 am »
where's that harmony?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 02:08:43 pm »
Has anyone ever made butter, or rather, tried, and then it starts to make butter, but doesn't quite finish the job?  So you're left with 'sort of butter'.  It's happened to me twice, now.  I've made butter with no problems at all using Sainsbury's double cream.  Very easy, no trouble.  Then I bought another 2 pots to make some more.  But it won't separate.  It almost separates, and produces a tiny bit of buttermilk (few drops), then emulsifies into 'almost butter'.  And that's it - no matter how much longer you keep going, it never separates.  Having said that, it can be used as butter replacement, but it isn't quite the same.  Nearly, but not quite.  Any idea what's going on, and if I can do anything about it?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:49 pm »
This happened to me once too! But I just kept scraping down the sides and continuing. I do mine on speed 7, NO butterfly! I had to scrape done the sides a few times and I think....(can't really remember ???too well) that maybe I added a drop of milk to help it separate. But don't take my word for it, as I honestly can't remember, but I do remember that it made butter in the end!!! ;D

I think this was because I bought 38% fat content. When I use 35% fat content it works fine. Could this be the reason?
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 02:05:18 am »
Has anyone ever made butter, or rather, tried, and then it starts to make butter, but doesn't quite finish the job?  So you're left with 'sort of butter'.  It's happened to me twice, now.  I've made butter with no problems at all using Sainsbury's double cream.  Very easy, no trouble.  Then I bought another 2 pots to make some more.  But it won't separate.  It almost separates, and produces a tiny bit of buttermilk (few drops), then emulsifies into 'almost butter'.  And that's it - no matter how much longer you keep going, it never separates.  Having said that, it can be used as butter replacement, but it isn't quite the same.  Nearly, but not quite.  Any idea what's going on, and if I can do anything about it?

The opposite has been my problem  ;D ;D.  I would take it out and try with hand beater or whisk to see if it is just not getting enough agitation. 

It may be that it was too cold when it was being beaten.  Make sure it is not cold to start.  Also start slow with the beating and gradually increase the speed?

Have you tried adding some yoghurt and allowing it to "culture" overnight ?  It thickens it a bit.  This changes the taste slightly but I like it that way.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 02:25:16 pm »
I think you're onto something there, Thermomixer!  I had taken both lots of cream straight out of the fridge when this happened.  I strongly suspect the successful ones had been sitting politely in the queue of items waiting for their turn in the TMX, when I was doing one thing after the other (oh for the time available during winter.  I certainly don't have that much time in the spring!).

I'll try the various recommendations and let you know how I get on.

Thanks, both of you.  :-* :-*
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 05:43:37 am »
After going to a TMX cooking class on Tuesday night where they made fresh butter I tried my hand at it today and success! It's scrummy :D
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 06:19:52 am »
Hi Ayla, nice to see you back!  What else did you learn at the cooking class? How's your cooking in the TMX going?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 01:35:33 am »
Just realised that I never did get back to you - sorry  :-[

Well, I tried 'em, and they didn't work, unfortunately.  I got some more cream and tried again - nada.  I suspect that they've tampered with their cream in some way, and aren't declaring it, as it always worked perfectly before.  Hydrogenised fat added?  Or something??  What would they add to double cream which would stop it from behaving like double cream when it came to making butter, do you think?  So Sainsbury's own brand double cream is no longer any good for butter making.  I'll get around to shopping at another supermarket at some point, and try their cream instead.  So frustrating, 'cos I'd really got into the habit of making my own butter.  It was so much nicer.  Oh well, never mind.