Author Topic: Quinoa recipes  (Read 16501 times)

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
Quinoa recipes
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:13 am »
I'd love to hear from  all the Quinoa converts their methods in cooking especially using the TMX... I tried to use it once (just like doing couscous) and it tasted so foul. My Coeliac DH is craving couscous and from other stories I hear that Quinoa is very similar.

I appreciate your advice.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Quinoa recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:06:13 am »
you can USE quinoa like cous cous but IMO it is really nothing like it in taste or texture etc.

best tip i have with quinoa is to soak and rinse it really really REALLY well or it tastes soooo awful lol

not a thermomix recipe (though i'm sure you could do it) but this is my only big success with quinoa though i havne't used it a lot http://brazen20au.blogspot.com/2009/02/easy-morrocan-spiced-quinoa-dish-gf.html
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:05:45 am »
I am not really an expert but the only way I have ever cooked it is just like rice.  I rinse it thoroughly first (in a sieve as the holes in the TM basket are a bit big & you'll lose some!) then cook it for around 14 minutes.  The little "tail" has to pop out.  I didn't find it yuk at all.  In fact I did some eggs in the basket with it & then had cut up hard boiled eggs, quinoa, almonds & tamari for breakfast. I personally think it is yummy that way............BTW you don't have to tell me I am odd, lots of people already have!!!  ;)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:23 am »
Should mention that I didn't soak mine beforehand but did rinse.  It does seem to be recommended to soak it overnight.  Just off to do that now so I can have the "Quinoa breakfast pudding" from Vegetarian CB tomorrow.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
i can't remember if i soaked, i think i didn't. but i definitely rinsed after the first 2 (yukky) times and then googling lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:48:50 pm »
You can also substitute it for some rice as well. Not sure if it's on here but I have recpe for Szechwan Chicken & Red Rice Salad (with quinoa) with sesame dressing that I'll post another night if its no in here already. 
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »
The only time Ive used it is to put it into a vegie soup it makes it quite tasty.  I use the red organic quinoa, i dont rinse or soak it just chuck it in with all the rest of the stuff and cook for 25mins

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:11:17 am »
I love quinoa!  My husband is so addicted to it, he takes it to work for lunch and gets lots of comments about the odd things he eats!  We use it like rice, or warm in salads like a tabouli or a pasta salad.  But you really should soak it to remove the saponins on the outside - that's the natural bug deterrent, and will deter you too!  It's the highest protein grain there is, and very good for you.  Here's my recipe for Mexican Quinoa: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/02/mexican-quinoa.html:)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:54:48 am by quirkycooking »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
Haven't tried using quinoa in the TMX yet.  MrsT is always making salads with fruit and nuts using quinoa, and she won't touch the TMX, so haven't tried it.

Will give it a go.  We don't generally have problems with the saponins - just rinse well before and after.  Thanks for the tip about toasting - will see if MsrT wants to try that too?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:32 am »
sounds good jo, i'll give it a go this week!
My Cooking Blog

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:37:06 am »
Thanks everyone, now that I have the day off tomorrow I have a few recipes I'm very excited to try out.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 06:18:47 am »
Have only just discovered you pronounce this Keen-wa!!!!  :-[How dorky must I sound when trying to say it at the shop! That's what comes from too much reading and not enough actual talking with people!  :-))

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 07:48:53 am »
There is a recipe for Jambalaya in the gluten free book that uses it ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:15 am »
There is a recipe in Cyndi's book too (not the converted one) for quinoa and spinach pie.  Quite nice, but I'll add something (not quite sure what) next time.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:10 am »
Have only just discovered you pronounce this Keen-wa!!!!  :-[How dorky must I sound when trying to say it at the shop! That's what comes from too much reading and not enough actual talking with people!  :-))
Not dorky at all Nay-nay - I had trouble saying couscous when I first saw it written and it wasn't until I saw a cooking show that I heard it pronounced correctly. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.