Author Topic: How to make a airy sponge (Cristina Galliano's tips and tricks)  (Read 8351 times)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Copied from Cristina Galliano’s Spanish Thermomix recipe book and translated by myself.
How to make a quality sponge:
Start by mixing the flour and the baking powder for 30 seconds on speed 3. This is to incorporate air in the mixture, previously we would pass the flour through a sieve held high to incorporate air (at least this is how Delia Smith tells one to do it)

All cakes/sponges are processed by the same method in the Thermomix and the trick for them to come out of the oven very airy and high is put over the butterfly over the blades and beat the sugar and the whole eggs with no temperature for 6 minutes on speed 4 until the mixture takes on a pale colouring. Using no heat makes the batter spongier.

The flour is the last item to be added to the batter and incorporated gently only for 2 seconds on speed 4, to avoid spoiling the airy sponge batter. If 2 seconds is not enough then programme further 1 or 2 seconds (my note: then I would use a whisk and incorporate the flour gently by hand - this is the crucial point in cakes as here all is saved or all is spoiled)

Regards
Barbara
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:35:35 pm by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
Re: How to make a airy sponge (Cristina Galliano's tips and tricks)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:29 am »
Thanks for this tip.  I've been disappointed with cakes so far - tend to be on the heavy, stodgy side.  I did do the lemon curd cake from the UK Fast and Easy Cooking and that worked quite well - recipe also says to process until the flour is JUST combined so it seems the secret is to go easy with the mixing once the flour's in the bowl.  Looking forward to light and perfectly spongy cakes from now on!  :D
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:41:17 am »
Thanks Barbara - great tip.  I have the Christina galliano book somewhere (one of those illegal pdf copies from the internet)

Thanks again  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »
I only ever incorporate flour with a whisk by hand. Will try this tomorrow and report back. I make really delicious light sponges with my KA, so can compare the TMX sponge to a KA one.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »
Thanks Barbara - great tip.  I have the Christina galliano book somewhere (one of those illegal pdf copies from the internet)

Thanks again  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I know about those copies....

I am now going to try this version to make the base for tiramisu. Last month I made a sponge cake as a base for this dessert and let it rest in the fridge for 1 day and as the days where passing (it was quite a big amount) the dessert kept improving both in taste and structure so I am making it today for Sunday (sound odd I know - reminds me of JulieO's German Cherry cake).
I will let you know of the outcome
Barbara

p.s.

I have made the cake but did not notice much improvemente. Sorry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:11:49 pm by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »
I have just rectified a mistake I made - 6 minutes on speed 4 with butterfly...
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:37 am »
Thx Gralke.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.