Author Topic: Plum Sauce  (Read 15254 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Plum Sauce
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:53 am »
Hi Alf, I made your plum sauce recipe today. Used 1100g plums halved and left stones in. Still runny and tastes like too much vinegar. An old recipe I have used before uses 2 cups sugar to 1 cup of vinegar to 1kg of plums. Is there a chance you got the vinegar quantities wrong? Also tried to thicken up by using varoma at end and bubbled over. Very messy.

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:29 am »
Hi there :)

I'm coming in a bit late, but if you are going to make this again, try reducing the amount of vinegar as well as cooking at varoma temp, speed 2-3 with steamer basket over the top.  I find when converting chutney recipes, cooking at varoma normally works a treat to reduce the mixture enough, but sometimes I do need to reduce the vinegar as well.  If there is added water I never put that in either. 

Blood plums are just amazing aren't they?  Sooooooo delicious and such a beautiful colour. 

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:41 am »
Thanks for tips greenie. Tried varoma and basket on top and still bubbled over. Need to reduce batch size by at least half. Will prob try to convert my old recipe next time.