Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4477986 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #15375 on: July 15, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »
Sounds like fun Mab. I love nice bed linen. I bought a new sheet and pillow set for our new Queen size bed with sales lady pointing out that Sheridan now had 40 cm. drops on the sides of all sheets. Unfortunately this is not enough to be able to tuck in. I am thinking I might need King size for this Queen size bed. Not sure that this will fit properly.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #15376 on: July 16, 2017, 12:10:54 am »
Very exciting. Do you buy coloured sheet sets?
Yes cookie I bought pale blue and stone coloured sheets, these were DH's choice.  The blankets are blue.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15377 on: July 16, 2017, 12:13:58 am »
Chookie, several years ago I tossed  all my sheets out in favour of good quality last a lifetime sheets from here.

http://www.hotelathome.com.au/ 

All white but crisp and high quality. In my lifetime I will never have to buy another sheet as these will never wear out. They are extra wide, extra long as well as extra deep. I use a queen  on the bottom and a double on the top of my queen sized bed which has a topper and a mattress cover and still room. They are not the soft cuddly sheets but the ones you get in a 5 star hotel. I use bleach with every wash and one pair I have is about 6 years old and are as good as new. Then don't pill and are best quality cotton.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: July 16, 2017, 04:16:39 am »
I agree Gert we did the same several years ago.
The sheets have a high thread count and fit well. They wash well also and I don't think they will ever wear out!
It's like staying in a hotel!
I can recommend this website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #15379 on: July 16, 2017, 06:56:03 am »
Thanks Gert and Boo. I notice that most of the sheet sets are Sheridan or Actil. I believe that Actil have been bought out by Sheridan. We have a Sheridan shop in Ballarat so will go and look at the sheets before I order. Thanks again.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #15380 on: July 16, 2017, 07:51:19 am »
Thanks Gert and Boo. I notice that most of the sheet sets are Sheridan or Actil. I believe that Actil have been bought out by Sheridan. We have a Sheridan shop in Ballarat so will go and look at the sheets before I order. Thanks again.

These sheets are nothing like you can buy from a regular shop. Thread counts actually count for nothing. There is some good info here

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-to-buy-sheets-by-thread-count-2014-12

I swear the sheets I have will last two lifetimes which is good and bad. LOL!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15381 on: July 16, 2017, 08:41:59 am »
That made interesting reading Gert.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #15382 on: July 16, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »
Interesting reading Gert.
The sheets from this website have washed and worn very well.they are well made and feel nice. We have had ours for several years.
I agree with you Gert not sure if they will wear out!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #15383 on: July 17, 2017, 12:18:25 am »
Interesting reading Gert.
The sheets from this website have washed and worn very well.they are well made and feel nice. We have had ours for several years.
I agree with you Gert not sure if they will wear out!

The other thing I like about hotel sheets is that they are heavy in comparison and living in the tropics, even in the "winter" I need only the sheet, no blanket and possibly on really cold nights like 22 degrees I may need to pull up the donna cover. Of course there is no actual donna in it! LOL?

They are also great for children's beds as you can treat them rough, wash them frequently, use bleach and they still come us as new and crisp. I reckon if I had  bought them 20 years ago I would still be using them. Boring white but white works with most things and don't you always love it when you have the opportunity to sleep in a hotel bed you have not had to make.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #15384 on: July 17, 2017, 12:40:34 am »
Thanks again Gert. Very interesting. Being white doesn't worry me and at our age they are not going to have to last a life time.
Point of fun/ interest. When my elderly mum was staying with us many years ago, I made her bed up with coloured sheets. She said that she didn't think she could sleep in a bed with coloured sheets.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #15385 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:05 am »
That's funny Chookie.
Quality bed linen is always nice to sleep on. When I was growing up and the sheets wore a little thin in the middle, mum would cut them in half and sew the outer edges into the middle. Horrible sleeping on a seam.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15386 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:24 am »
My Mum did that too Michele, waste not want not in those days.
Chookie your guest bedrooms at Cherokee were as good as any hotel room, and I'm sure I can speak for Denise too in that we felt very special sleeping in those beds.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15387 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:34 am »
Mum used to 'turn' the sheets too. Low and behold if you ever ripped a wear patch to make a larger hole, you were usually very sorry you did it.
I had a chuckle at your Mum's comment Chookie. My Mum branched out into stripes first then colours. Dad wouldn't have flowers etc on the sheets as he said it gave him hay fever!!!! He was a bit of a stirrer. 😄😄😄😄
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #15388 on: July 17, 2017, 10:53:43 am »
Mum used to 'turn' the sheets too. Low and behold if you ever ripped a wear patch to make a larger hole, you were usually very sorry you did it.
I had a chuckle at your Mum's comment Chookie. My Mum branched out into stripes first then colours. Dad wouldn't have flowers etc on the sheets as he said it gave him hay fever!!!! He was a bit of a stirrer. 😄😄😄😄

Love it. Must remember that floral sheets give me hay fever too.  ;D
Our first flannelette sheets were blue/grey, pink/ grey stripped.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15389 on: July 17, 2017, 05:10:18 pm »
My Mum did that too Michele, waste not want not in those days.
Chookie your guest bedrooms at Cherokee were as good as any hotel room, and I'm sure I can speak for Denise too in that we felt very special sleeping in those beds.
Very special sleeping at Cherokee. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.