Author Topic: Spanish Rice Pudding  (Read 48392 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Spanish Rice Pudding
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Spanish Rice Pudding
Number of People: 4-6
Ingredients:
1.5 litres milk
200g rice (I use pudding rice - short grained.  Also use this for risottos, actually.  Works well and is cheaper.)
zest of 1 lemon
150g sugar
70g butter

Preparation:
1.  Insert butterfly whisk.  Add all ingredients except the sugar and butter and cook 45 mins / 90oC / speed 1
2.  Add sugar and butter and cook 10 mins/90o/speed 1.
3.  Remove butterfly, turn into a serving dish and serve.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
This recipe is adapted from the UK cookbook - Fast and Easy Cooking.  The original recipe includes 1tsp cinnamon, and cinnamon to sprinkle.  It also has more sugar.  We prefer the version I've posted here.  Also, we always eat it hot, we prefer it that way, but the recipe says leave it to cool and eat cold.  Good for the hot temperatures the Ozzys have at the moment  ;D

Members' comments
Bron - Caroline,
I have tweaked this one, just a little and its excellent too. Instead of lemon I add the peel of an orange, also a cinnamon stick.
I cut down the time to 35 minutes, and then add brown sugar, and half the amount of butter and then 5 minutes! Cuts cooking time by 10 mins, and the taste and texture and just as good (but a little healthier!)

knittercook - I must confess to having a slight addiction to Parsons rice cream, so wanted to be able to make my own.  This recipe is brilliant, I made it exactly as is and next time the only thing I would do is omit the lemon rind and add the seeds of a vanilla pod instead. 5/5 from me, thanks CarolineW.

Intrepidtrier - I also have used this recipe a few times and my tweak is use the same amount of rice and milk and cook for 45 min. and then add a can of condensed milk and a tablespoon of butter and cook for another 10min. No sugar. Turns out great.

sue purrb - We love this recipe, but find about 70g sugar is plenty. It tastes just like Ambrosia Creamed Rice from a can!

Greyhoundmum - I combined Caroline and Bron's method and just loved it. I could really taste the orange and the cinnamon which made a great flavour, thanks.

Shayla - We also love his recipe.  I too add vanilla and omit the cinnamon; I also do not use the butterfly - I find it keeps coming off.

rubyslippers - This is yummy!

Mollyweasley - I replace 400 ml of cow milk with coconut milk, without lemon peel. And in my bowl I like mixing it with homemade sweet yoghourt, half and a half, I love the light acid and sweet flavours together.

mab19 - I made this today and only did a half quantity.  I used basmati rice and vanilla instead of the lemon rind.  Also only used 25g sugar and it was just right.  DH gave it the tick of approval.  I have made the recipe using brown sugar.

Susieja - I made this with maple syrup and only 75grams as I don't like things too sweet. Yum yum yum.  It was just sweet enough for me. I also added some orange zest and a vanilla pod.

Aussie Brenda - I made this tonight , added some cocoa powder , not sure how much maybe five tablespoons, only added 70gms of brown sugar and no butter, no lemon rind but added a teaspoon of vanilla paste , very thick had to serve it with some extra milk.  Yummy.

Suzanne - This is my absolute favourite.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:28:56 am by judydawn »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Spanish Rice Pudding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:22:58 am »

This recipe is adapted from the UK cookbook - Fast and Easy Cooking.  The original recipe includes 1tsp cinammon, and cinammon to sprinkle.  It also has more sugar.  We prefer the version I've posted here.  Also, we always eat it hot, we prefer it that way, but the recipe says leave it to cool and eat cold.  Good for the hot temperatures the Ozzys have at the moment  ;D

Gracias amiga  Need something cool - an inch or two of that snow would go down a treat  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:37 am »
hmmm this could be a good one for ryan to take to school for morning tea, thanks again caroline :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:37:10 pm »
Caroline,
I have tweaked this one, just a little and its excellent too.
Instead of lemon I add the peel of an orange, also a cinnamon stick.
I cut down the time to 35 minutes, and then add brown sugar, and half the amount of butter and then 5 minutes!
Cuts cooking time by 10 mins, and the taste and texture and just as good (but a little healthier!) Says she, stuffing her face with chocolate! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:56 pm »
Sounds good, Bron.  I'll have to give that a try.  No - really - it isn't just an excuse to make it again  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:10 am »
No - really - it isn't just an excuse to make it again  ;D

Too much honesty  ;) ;)   It is all to help your fellow TMXers - Warren should be able to use that excuse. 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:28 pm »
In the interest of science, and to aid my fellow TMXers, I have sacrificed myself on the altar of duty and tried the 'Bron Variation'.  I loved the toffee type flavour that the brown sugar gave.  Loved the flavour full stop, actually.  But cooked it for another 4 mins as preferred the rice not to be al dente in the dessert.  Thanks for a lovely variation, Bron.  I can ring the changes now   :)

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »
Thanks Caroline, pleased that you enjoyed it! Did you make it with the orange peel too?  ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:57:19 am »
I must confess to having a slight addiction to Parsons rice cream, so wanted to be able to make my own.  This recipe is brilliant, I made it exactly as is and next time the only thing I would do is omit the lemon rind and add the seeds of a vanilla pod instead.

5/5 from me, thanks CarolineW  :-*
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:42 am »
I haven't tried this one yet. My DH loves rice pudding and I usually make him a slightly different one.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:48:50 am »
I also have used this recipe a few times and my tweak is use the same amount of rice and milk and cook for 45 min. and then add a can of condensed milk and a tablespoon of butter and cook for another 10min. No sugar. Turns out great.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:28 am »
We love this recipe, but find about 70g sugar is plenty. It tastes just like Ambrosia Creamed Rice from a can!
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:19:24 am »
I also have used this recipe a few times and my tweak is use the same amount of rice and milk and cook for 45 min. and then add a can of condensed milk and a tablespoon of butter and cook for another 10min. No sugar. Turns out great.

Oh yes that would be amazing, next time I will do that.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:46:44 am »
I forgot I had this one put away in a "safe" place.  Thanks for bumping it!!!!!!

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:22 am »
I've got this on the go now. My teenagers always ask me to buy Le Rice so I thought I'd make some. I'm doing original recipe with vanilla instead of lemon.
Serena