Author Topic: Recipe Review: Sienna Cake, Merry Christmix (2nd edition) p38  (Read 3476 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Recipe Review: Sienna Cake, Merry Christmix (2nd edition) p38
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:11:06 am »
Overall these sienna cakes (panfortes) turned out well, although if I made them again I would make some changes.

Firstly, I found the amount of spice overwhelming.  It was a very lovely mixture of spices, but just way too strong for my liking.  I would reduce the amount of the spices, but keep them in the same proportions.  Also, I would use pre-ground spices instead of grinding the whole spices as Tenina suggests.  I ground the spices for twice as long as the recipe says, and I still found the cakes a little gritty in texture.

I couldn't be bothered making the "Sugar and Spice" mixture before I made these cakes, so I just used 50g brown sugar.  Given the amount of spice in the recipe already, I am glad I didn't bother!

The mixture is very thick and gluggy, and I found it really difficult to "bury" the larger nuts in the cake mixture so that they didn't burn in the oven when cooking.  Next time I would coarsely chop the larger nuts by hand with a knife, just to break them up a bit and make them easier to mix in.  I wouldn't use the TMX to chop the nuts though, they would be too fine.  I hand-chopped the larger dried and glace fruits too.

I found it impossible to find the individual paper cake cases that were referred to in the recipe, and because I wanted to make individual cakes for gifts, I ended up using a pan that KatieJ recommended to me for making individual sized quiches.  It is a fairly large tray that makes 6 individual quiches, each is roughly 10cm diameter.  This was perfect for this recipe, and the recipe make 5 good-sized panfortes in this tin.

But the cakes are delicious and moist, and would make really lovely gifts, so I will definitely make again with the above changes.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review: Sienna Cake, Merry Christmix (2nd edition) p38
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:07:18 pm »
These are great tips to the recipe review Karen.Thank You.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »
Thanks Karen, we need to know these things.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Recipe Review: Sienna Cake, Merry Christmix (2nd edition) p38
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:21 pm »
Thanks for the tips Karen these are on my list to make this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:31:43 pm by jeninwa »
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 04:58:55 am »
Let me know how you go Jeninwa - I will be really interested to hear what you think of them!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:30:09 am »
I made this wonderful ‘cake’ early this morning, though I couldn’t let it sit until entirely cold before cutting and tasting :)

I made the Sugar & Spice mix first,  though I did grind the spices in my spice grinder as I find that does a better job especially when only doing small amounts.  I took out the required amount for the cake and put the rest into a small jar and placed in the freezer for other times, would be lovely in biscuits I would think.

For the cake,  again I milled the spices in the spice grinder,  otherwise I pretty much followed the recipe as is.

For the nuts I used whole almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and pistachios.

For the fruit I used, dried cherries, craisins, dried figs, glace cherries and sultanas.  The only fruit I chopped (by hand) were the figs. 

For the ‘extra’ chocolate I used dark choc chips as that was all I had left and in place of orange essence I used 4 drops of doTERRA orange oil (wonderful stuff).

I baked in a ceramic based, silicone sided 26cm free form pan that I have.  Lightly brushed the ceramic base only with TM cake release,  not the silicone sides.  I think this was the perfect size as you wouldn’t want a deep cake.

I didn’t bother dusting with icing sugar.  The taste I had of this when still slightly warm was wonderful.  I’ve cut into 12 slices and once completely cold will wrap individually and freeze for when we want something special to have with a coffee.  10/10 from me.

Photos taken when still warm and soft. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:31:43 am »
Thanks so much Karen and JulieO. This is on my 'to make' list. My family aren't fond of lots of spice so I would probably have reduced that anyway.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:22:41 am »
I have just taken my cakes out of the oven. Can't wait for them to be cold enough to try one. I also couldn't be bothered making the sugar and spice mix. I also thought there was enough spice with out adding I Just replaced it with muscovado sugar. I used whole spices, just ground them twice. I didn't have enough honey so added maple syrup. Chopped the walnuts and left the other nut whole. I also mixed in the fruit and nuts longer as I didn't think 20 seconds was long enough.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 10:20:35 am »
Amazing results Julie  and Jenny.Both look wonderful. 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:26 am »
It makes a lot !  Nice baking girls.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 10:57:46 am »
They look wonderful Jenny.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/