Author Topic: A Variety of Raw 'Ice-Cream' Ideas  (Read 10761 times)

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
A Variety of Raw 'Ice-Cream' Ideas
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the general dessert thread, but there's already quite a few ice-cream recipes on that one, including banana based ..  These are a bit different to what I saw though, so I figured I'd put them where the raw foodies would most easily find them .. I've been on a (LFHR) low fat high raw diet since Jan '11, hence my user name  ;)  But I can assure you that even my non-raw friends and family love these too!

This first one is my (19yr old) daughters favourite, and she makes it every night when staying here during school holidays ..

2 Frozen Bananas
2 Tbspn Maple Syrup / or Raw Honey / or Date Paste
* Whiz in TM until pureed, then either re-freeze or serve immediately with a small handful of Raw Walnuts, and a couple of cracks of Himalayan Salt .. I sometimes add Maca Powder to this too ..

This second one is MY personal favourite, and I call it 'Green Speckled Frog'  ;D

2 Frozen Bananas
Meat of young Coconut
1 Tbspn Raw Manuka Honey
1 Tbspn Spirulina Powder
1 Tbspn Lucuma Powder
* Whiz in TM until pureed, then either re-freeze or serve immediately  ..

And this is the new favourite of my (10yr old) son ..

2 Frozen Bananas
300gm Frozen Strawberries
* Whiz in TM until pureed, then either re-freeze or serve immediately  ..

At other times I include the left over pulp from making nut/coconut/seed milks (also made in TM), dried fruit, dried coconut, mint, cacoa nibs etc .. I find the coconut meat & nut pulp in particular give it more of a creamy texture & taste which you may/may not prefer, and helps it freeze with less ice crystals .. But you can always put it back in the TM and crush it up if needed .. So just have fun and experiment .. It's so quick and easy that the kids can make it themselves after dinner, and adjust to each individuals preference .. We don't even worry about cleaning the TM bowl in-between  :D

Hope You Enjoy!

~ Clare

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: A Variety of Raw 'Ice-Cream' Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »
Are these based on recipes on the Addicted to Veggies site - http://www.addictedtoveggies.com?  I saw a lovely chocolate one there which I hope to try as my DH is lactose intolerant and this one looks so yummy.  In fact, I think it was one of your earlier posts that led me to that site in the first place - it has a lot of interesting looking recipes.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:23 am »
Yes I linked to AtV in my intro post, that was for a vegan sour cream recipe which is sooo handy to have in the fridge - I use it in all kinds of dips & dressings .. But no, I've just found that blog myself and these first two are creations I came up with during the last year and a half I've been experimenting with raw banana based ice-cream .. I've got no idea where I first discovered it, possibly on a juicing forum/site as it can be made even quicker with a blank screened juicer ?!

The last one - my sons new fav,  I got via a link on Green Bloggers Changing the World:http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2cqMsN/paper.li/AlmostTruth/1329625201/ and actually tried to find it again to post with this but couldn't .. I know they called it a Sorbet  **Scrap that I googled and found it on Groovy Green Livin: http://groovygreenlivin.com/2012/06/recipe-five-minute-vegan-strawberry-sorbet/

These are just a few ideas though as you really don't need a recipe .. Just use the banana as your base and add whatever you wish - or have at hand .. Like I say, nut pulp, coconut meat/cream etc will improve the texture to a more 'creamy' consistency .. I have one friend who even uses avocado's in hers for the same reason .. Oh and I forgot to mention spices - I did Cinnamon & Honey the other night, and have done a proper marsala before (ginger/cinnamon/cardamom/clove) .. Just play and enjoy the results  :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:55:43 am by JuicyFruit »
~ Clare

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:37:17 am »
I'm not too sure about the green one, but the others look delicious. I'm sure the green one tastes lovely though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:20 am »
Yum... 
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.