Author Topic: Nan's Country Kitchen Curried Tuna Slice  (Read 97929 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nan's Country Kitchen Curried Tuna Slice
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:43 am »
This is a very tasty slice from MJ's sister's blog Nan's Country Kitchen.  I have converted it for the TMX. It makes 6 decent sized servings and is delicious.

Base
250g long grain rice
30g butter
1 egg
1/2 tspn lemon pepper (I used black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice)

Filling
60g tasty cheese - next time I will use 80-100g
handful of parsley
45g butter
3 tblspns plain flour
1.5 tblspns curry powder (I used 1 tblspn for our tastes)
1/2 cup mayonnaise - 120g
1.5 cups milk - 375g (mine weighed 400g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspns lemon juice
450g tin tuna in springwater, drained and flaked

Line a large slice tin with baking paper.

Start a batch of Chookie's rice .  For ease of this recipe I will post it here.

250g rice
480g of boiling water
salt

Tip rice into TMX bowl
Add boiling water
Set dial to 5 mins/ Varoma/ speed 1.
Tip into Thermoserver and set aside for 25 mins to finish cooking.

Clean the bowl then grate the cheese 5 sec/speed 8. Set aside.
Without cleaning the bowl, grate the parsley a few seconds on speed 8. Set aside, separate from the cheese.
Roughly rinse out the bowl, wipe out with a paper towel.
Melt the butter 1.5 mins/100o/speed 1.
Add flour and curry powder - cook 1.5 mins/100o/speed 1.
Add mayonnaise and milk.  Cook 8 mins/90o/speed 4.

At this stage, turn the oven on to 180oC.

The rice should now be about ready to finish.

Add the egg, butter, pepper to the rice and spread it onto the prepared slice tin.

The sauce will now be ready to finish.

Add lemon juice, parsley, tuna and egg.  Mix for 20sec/reverse/speed 2.

Pour onto the rice base and sprinkle with the grated cheese.

Bake 180oC 25-30 minutes.

This can also be made in a large pie plate and cooked approx 10 minutes longer.  See Uni's photo further down in this thread.

Members' comments
CC - I did make this for supper tonight. Delicious. DH and I thoroughly enjoyed it.Thanks JD for the conversion and Nan's Kitchen for the original recipe. It reheats in the microwave really well.

Uni - JD my kitchen smells so good. We loved it. I cooked it as a pie - took about 10 minutes longer.

Katiej - Well it was delicious! I did cook it for about 10 minutes extra and in my oven it probably could have done with a few more minutes, but it was a lot later than we normally eat dinner and we couldn't wait any longer. I just served it with a small salad.
I'll definitely make it again. Thanks JD & Nan

thermo18 - Had this last night, a real winner, best of all got enough to put  some in freezer for another meal.

JulieO - This went down well today.  I think some corn kernels would be lovely in this, add a nice sweetness.  Thanks Judy.

Chelsea - This was an absolute winner tonight. Yummo!!! The only tweak was that I cooked it for a bit longer.

GF - Made this tonight for supper tonight and lunches tomorrow - easy to prepare thanks to the very clear instructions and very very tasty!!  This was the first time making this, but it certainly won't be the last!! Baked it in a square springform - perfect!! Many thanks JD for the great conversion  - and to Nan, too, for the original recipe!

Uni - I have also added some curry to the rice while it was cooking and some of the SOS mix after cooking also added SOS mix to the sauce
I used bechamel sauce that I had in the freezer and 2 eggs in the sauce.  I have made it with chicken and mushrooms, also very yummy.

JD -  had a bit of leftover cooked chicken so I decided to do the chicken version for tea tonight.  Just as yummy as the tuna, this recipe is just so creamy.  Had no mushrooms otherwise I would have used them as Uni did.

Emme - Just had to post that we had this tonight and we loved it.    Thank you for a great recipe, will be certainly making this again. 

Amy - I made this for mum and SD tonight, it was really easy and smelled great! I think I could have cooked it for a bit longer but it didn't matter because mum said the flavour was still really yummy! And I know she really liked it because she told me three time how nice it was.  I've also made this adding 1 tsp coconut essence to the rice. The coconut flavour comes through as a silky smooth and subtle aftertaste. It's just lovely. I would encourage others to try it too. I have also made this using cous cous as the base. Delicious.

KarenH - Made this for dinner, and DH declared it was the nicest tuna dish he has ever eaten. Thanks for an easy and tasty recipe!
Have also tried this using brown rice, but chookies absorption method in the thermoserver didnt work with the brown rice - I ended up putting it into a saucepan and boiling it for a bit longer.  Also added 1/2 zucchini grated to the sauce to get extra veg into the kids.  Yummy!   Would do the brown rice again, even though I had to cook it separately.  5 stars *****
I regularly use brown rice now, and cook it in the rice cooker.  I usually double the amount of rice and freeze half to use next time I make the recipe.  Then I just heat up the rice a bit before adding the egg and lemon pepper.

I really like the ideas about the added spinach and tomato and mushrooms too.  Thanks for those!

MJ - It received the ultimate accolade from DH last night, "This is good." Speaks volumes because he doesn't like rice.

jeninwa - Made this for dinner tonight, everyone loved it, DH said it was b...... Good. They were a tiny bit disappointed as they said the house smelt like I was making curried scallops for tea. Good only Keen's curry powder.

kimmyh - Finally made this and we loved it. Thank you everyone for bumping it long enough for me to make. Will be a regular dish.
Also nice as a pasta bake.

kt2 - I made this at long last and it was delicious, it will certainly be made again! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

djinni373 - I have made this one recently too Cheesy It was great. I wasn't sure how far the recipe would stretch so I added a small head of broccoli broken into flowerettes. Was really nice next day in lunch boxes with salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for the conversion JD.

DJ - Cooked brown rice this afternoon and made sauce. Put a little cooked spinach on top of the rice. Used leftover chicken and mushrooms as Uni suggested and put sliced tomatoes on top under the cheese on one and no cheese for me. It was really good. My neighbour said similar to moussaka in texture. The spinach in it was great. Thanks everyone for recipe and suggestions, keep on experimenting! I liked it without the cheese, and the tomatoes stopped it drying out.

JD - I've also made this recipe in my mini-loaf tin 11 cm x 7 cm (6 holes) with leftovers to fill a 15cm square dish as well.  Line the holes with baking paper and allow the paper to come up the sides to use as a handle to remove once cooked.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Photo on page 8 of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:38:09 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Nan's Country Kitchen Curried Tuna Slice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:23:27 am »
i have all of the ingredients to make it tomorrow, just not sure it will fill frank up 
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:56 am »
I gave us quite a big slice (by our standards) but it soon filled us up Uni - in fact I cut a slice off as I was halfway through because I was feeling full already and we had dessert to follow today.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:00 am »
A big thank you Judy  :-* Scratching my head not knowing what to cook tonight so going to make this ;D
Another thank you to MJ for posting it on her blog :-* and of course to Nan's Country Kitchen :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:11:51 am »
Thanks Judy. It looks tasty. I like things made with tinned tuna.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:09 am »
Yum Judy, this is something we would enjoy. :) will save the recipe now before I loose it :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »
I did make this for supper tonight.Delicious.DH and I thoroughly enjoyed it. ;D
Thanks JD for the conversion and Nan's Kitchen for the original recipe :-* :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:33:51 pm »
I used to make something very similar but with tinned red salmon, I remember it being delicious but a lot of fiddling about, so thank you JD I can add this to the menu again as it will be so much easier in the TM  :D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:29 am »
looks good Judy, will try on the weekend.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:21:39 am »
i will add a photo here or in the ops thread tonight when i slice it  :-))

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:06 am »
Is this similar to your tuna and rice pie JD?  We love that.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:16 am »
JD my kitchen smells so good  ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:18 am »
I bet this is tasty, thanks Judy.  :D

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:38:00 am »
I'm going to make this for dinner tonight, when I get home from work. Looks so easy!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:52 am »
you will love it Katie we did  ;D