Author Topic: From Themochef to Thermomix?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Devons

• View Profile
From Themochef to Thermomix?
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:54:53 am »
Hi, I am just wanting to know if anyone has gone from a Thermochef to a Themomix, and was it worth it? I am seriously considering purchasing a Thermomix, but have a Themochef that has been used constantly and successfully for nearly two years. I have read and heard such good things about the Thermomix, but don't want to upgrade if there isn't much difference.
I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons,  just get some thoughts/opinions.
Thanks for reading!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: From Themochef to Thermomix?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:18 am »
Hi Devons, welcome to the forum.  Some people start off with a cheaper machine to see if they like that style of cooking with the plan that when it no longer works, they will upgrade to a Thermomix.  If your TC is working well, I see no point in upgrading until you need to do so.  I've only ever had the Thermomix and would replace it in an instant if it blew up  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:32:06 am »
As Judy says, if the TC is working well for you, keep using it. But, if you feel it's not kneading dough or cooking things well, then I would certainly go with a Thermie. You can always sell your TC on gumtree or some other forum.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: From Themochef to Thermomix?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:45:24 am »
I agree with Megan and Judy :)
You could always book a demo to see if you think it is better and compare the results first hand :)
I personally prefer the time and heat setting configuration on the tmx to the tmc but don't think I'd upgrade just for that purpose :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:50:13 am »
Welcome Devons.I agree with the other girls.Good idea by Jamberie to have a demo and see what you think of the Thermomix in action.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:50:34 am »
I agree with everyone too. If you are happy with your TC why change until you need to.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »
Welcome Devon's. I have a ThermoChef, and like you have had it for a couple of years and use it constantly. I would only consider buying a a thermomix if my ThermoChef stopped working. I have successfully made heaps of recipes on this forum, only needing to make minor adjustments to speeds from time to time.  I think that the TC struggles when making bread, and needs a bigger quantity in the bowl when grinding spices or sautéing garlic/ onion due to the different shape of the jug. Question is, is it worth spending three times as much to get these minor(in my mind) improvements? It brings me back to the old adage : If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Devons

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »
Thanks everyone!
You have kind of summed up what I was thinking, so I will keep on with my Thermochef, and cross the Thermomix bridge when the time comes!
Thanks for the welcome, and I am looking forward to sourcing recipes, info and insight on this friendly forum. :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
Glad to be of help.  There's so much on this forum, it's an amazing place. Just a hint when doing a search for a recipe, use google. Type whatever recipe you're looking for and thermomix. There's always a link to this forum.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »
welcome Devons, i was going to say the some, If it ain't broke, don't fix it  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
Devon's,  wise decision.  Look at some of Emerald Sues recipes,  they are very good and she is an excellent cook.