Author Topic: Sorbet (Lemon) from EDC question  (Read 9705 times)

Offline kent

• View Profile
Sorbet (Lemon) from EDC question
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:37 am »
Just did the lemon sorbet from the EDC this evening.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and found it to be a little too sweet.  Next time I'll just use a little less sugar.  No big deal there  :)

Question from my Wife.  She has a slight allergic reaction to the egg white (nothing major).  Next time we'll try it without the egg, does anyone know what difference the egg white makes?

Thanks.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Re: Sorbet (Lemon) from EDC question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:33:16 am »
Hi Kent

Egg white makes the sorbet creamier.  It is still nice without egg white, but more icy, like granita.  You might like to try pineapple sorbet some time.  If you use frozen pineapple chunks it goes very creamy--I made some once and then realized I left the egg white on the bench!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:34 pm »
Just did the lemon sorbet from the EDC this evening.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and found it to be a little too sweet.  Next time I'll just use a little less sugar.  No big deal there  :)

Question from my Wife.  She has a slight allergic reaction to the egg white (nothing major).  Next time we'll try it without the egg, does anyone know what difference the egg white makes?

Thanks.
You can use frozen banana or frozen coconut cream instead of egg  :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »
Thanks for this tip CC!  I like the creaminess . . . but not crazy about the egg so I'll give this a try - have both in the freezer Thank you!  One question though . . how do you work out what quantity of either the banana or the coconut cream?  Or is it just to taste?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »
Thanks for this tip CC!  I like the creaminess . . . but not crazy about the egg so I'll give this a try - have both in the freezer Thank you!  One question though . . how do you work out what quantity of either the banana or the coconut cream?  Or is it just to taste?
I have only made sorbet with egg white.If you use too much coconut or banana it will be more like an ice cream.
I have found this on the forum.
In the Fast and Easy cookbook the Italian style sorbet uses half a frozen lemon, skin,pith and seeds removed but still uses a egg white. :-\ Can PM you that recipe if you would like it GF. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »
I've made this without the egg white (as sometimes we have to eat vegan) and it tastes yummy but freezes up more the next day.

Offline Tony101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:50:14 am »
Had Sorbet today for a demo, with different fruit. It tasted quite good, but not great.

There was a lot left over so we put it in the fridge. Had some tonight and it is rock hard, and tastes like snow.

Is there a better Sorbet recipe about? Is there a way to freeze it?

Thanks
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24:53 pm »
I'm a real newbie but have made sorbet a LOT so far. I like the versions with frozen fruit better than with fresh fruit and ice, they get a lot creamier. I use half a frozen banana instead of the egg white sometimes. Coconut cream didn't work well for me.

My favorite versions used frozen mango mixed with another fruit (strawberry, peach)

I have had success freezing leftovers in an ice cube tray, kinda smooshing the sorbet into the squares with a spatula. Then the next day I just blitzed up the cubes and it was exactly the same.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
You're on the money there with your advice Laura.  Here's an early discussion on excess sorbet.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2738.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tony101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

Offline Angber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:23 am »
Love the Ice cube tray tip, I love sorbet and often freeze leftovers in sealable bags but it's a lot harder to remix the next day because it's been frozen in bulk!