Author Topic: Washing Machine Powder  (Read 153061 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Powder
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2012, 02:18:21 am »
I use this all the time now, and am really happy with it.  I use the sard version as well, and am really happy with the results.  I use vinegar instead of fabric softener too.

I also save up any scraps of scented bath soap that are too small to use in the shower, and add them to the the soap mix when blending it to use them up.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2012, 03:39:32 am »
Thanks ladies.

Karen I don't use soap in the shower just body wash as it doesn't leave the scum like soap, easier shower cleaning

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2012, 03:46:31 am »
Thanks Karen that's a good idea, I throw out so many bits and pieces. I bought all the ingredients recently to make another batch but Christmas hampers have got in the way at the moment.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2012, 11:35:44 am »
We're like you Yvette. We have charcoal grey flecked tiles as our bathroom floor and the shower doesn't get 'scummy' by using liquid soap.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2013, 12:22:53 am »
This non food recipe loos great and I cant wait to try it.
Can I just ask a question if anyone has any input into skin allergies/sensitive skin etc.

Myself and my daughter who suffers asthma and eczema have extremely dry skin. For years we haven't used soap to wash our bodies, wash hair, or wash clothes. We always use pH balanced products and soap is a big no no in our house. My vocation is also in healthcare and particularly the skin care of elderly people with leg ulcers and I educate nurses and clients on omitting soap and using ph balanced products to improve their skin. Basically all soaps have a pH of between 9 and 11 on the alkaline/acidity spectrum and the normal acid mantle on our skin is between 3.5 and 5. Soaps strips of the protective acid mantle for 30 minutes in a normal healthy young person without skin problems. Longer for older people and you can imagine the onslaught on skin in people with eczema.
Anyway, long story short - does anyone with sensitive skin or dermatitis/eczema etc etc have any experience using this recipe. I'm loathed to purchase soap and bring it into our house but desperate to make a recipe like this (but not keen to exacerbate our skin conditions as it takes ages then to re-wash everything in our house and start using more steroids etc to solve a problem we have under control now).

??? ???

Many thanks in anticpation
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:16 am »
Curry Diva, I love this recipe but in your case I wouldn't make it.  It is not worth the risk. 

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:30 am »
CD I have just bought the ingredients this morning for another batch of this, it's all I have used for well over a year now, my DG's suffer from eczema and allergies from Cat Hair, but they don't live at home anymore.  So can't help,out with that, what do you use now , are the ingredients listed? Maybe someone can come up with a home made recipe for you.  Ingredients cost me $12.65 and will last me about 6 months I only put a little in.  Vinegar is a good rinse aid this would get rid of traces of soap hopefully. I'm probably not very helpful after all .

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2013, 03:54:43 am »
Thanks Achookwoman
Thanks AussieBrenda
I use a Neways product and rinse thoroughly. I thought of substituting lux flakes as an alternative to velvet but they aren't suitable for my front loader.
I actually think I might trial it and try the vinegar rinse with extra rinsing as I usually do.
Will post my results in the original thread if anyone else has sensitive skin issues.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline TMintheBay

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:21 pm »
Isn't Borax poisonous?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »
Yes it is. Most of us stir it through and don't put it into our  *: 

Welcome to the forum.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline TMintheBay

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
I would worry about it being a poison and having it go through my clothes even if I don't put it in the TM?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »
TMinthebay, at least if you put it in yourself you know what is in there when you buy things you really don't know what is in there numbers and scientific names?

Offline jmatacz

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2013, 05:43:25 am »
Does anyone know if you can use this on MCNs (modern cloth nappies)???
Thank you.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2013, 08:19:46 am »
No, but I use it on modern cloth undies and haven't got a rash  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2013, 10:48:10 am »
I wouldn't recommend it for mcns. But saying that if you use normal washing powder presently it wouldn't be any different. :)