Author Topic: My standard loaf  (Read 21497 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
My standard loaf
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:41 am »
Here's my standby loaf of bread, a combination of ideas from Elizabeth David and Stephanie Alexander

Ingredients
- 400g white flour plus 100g freshly milled wheat or spelt grain (or you could use 250 each of white and grain flour, or all milled grain if you like, as long as the total is 500g)
- 1 dessert spoon dried yeast
- 1 dessert spoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- (optional) 1 tablespoon molasses
- 300ml lukewarm water - the exact amount varies with the flour

Method
Mill the grain and then add the dry ingredients and fritz for a few seconds at 4-5 to mix.  Add water, oil and molasses (if using) and knead  :: for about 5 minutes.  Amazingly the action of the kneading seems to warm the dough even if you start with the water at room temperature.  Let it rise for 90 minutes in a warm place covered, and then shape into a loaf.  Leave to rise again for about 45 minutes.  I cook it in 2 ways:

First method:  In a loaf tin
15 minutes at 220 C
15 minutes at 200 C
Tip loaf out of tin onto side and cook for further 20 minutes at 180 C until base sounds hollow when tapped.  You may need to cover the top with some aluminium foil if it browns too quickly.

Second method - in a Romertopf terra cotta cooker.  If anyone has one of these, they are amazing as they release steam while cooking and the loaf grows to an incredible size.  You have to soak them in water for 10 minutes prior to use, and the oven has to be cold to start with.  For bread, I leave it in the sink with warm water with the freeform loaf sitting in the base of the Romertopf.  I line the Romertopf with baking paper and butter so it doesn't stick.  You put it in the oven cold with the loaf in the Romertopf with the lid on, and cook for 60 minutes on 220 C.  The loaf rises further as the oven warms, and then starts to cook.  After 60 minutes I lift it out and leave in the oven for another 5 minutes to completely brown.  This method of cooking is called 'cloche' and allows a very steamy atmosphere.  It's a bit of a fiddle but the bread is always spectacular and rises much more than with other methods.

I've always loved cooking bread and the ability to mill my own flour has made this so much fun!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: My standard loaf
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
Here's my standby loaf of bread, a combination of ideas from Elizabeth David and Stephanie Alexander

Thanks Paul - if you base it on their works then you're halfway  there.  I share a birthday with Stephanie, but not her culinary skills.

Great post indeed - thanks.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:14:03 am »
No worries, and I'm sure you're selling yourself short re the skills from reading your recipes.  It's fun to experiment though, isn't it, and the thermomix is great for that.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:32 am »
Paul, what grain mixes have you tried?  Any mixed grain laoves with sprouting seeds?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:40:06 am »
None with sprouting seeds, but I have added a poppyseed, linseed, sesame and pumpkin seed mix (basically whatever seeds I could buy) and it's nice, but often a bit crumbly.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:32:14 am »
I made this using the Romertopf and it was simply scrumptious. Just wondering though if you should do a 2nd rising as it wasn't mentioned for the 2nd method? It made a lovely large loaf.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

vivacity

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:56 am »
I don't have a Römertopf, but I remember seeing a bread recipe on the net where the bread is baked in  a cast iron pot. What do you reckon, Paul? Could this be used as well? The recipe sounds really easy and I agree that one of the best things about the Thermomix is being able to mill your own grain, so I'm definitely going to try this recipe out.

Update: I did try the recipe out today using 400g plain flour and 100g milled millet. To get some moisture into the cast iron casserole, I crumpled up some baking paper, held it under the tap to make it as soggy as possible and then pushed it up against the sides of the casserole dish. The dough rose 45 minutes in the casserole the second time and then I popped it into the pre-heated oven (200C, fan assisted) and baked the loaf for one hour with the lid on the whole time.

The loaf is brilliant. It rose really well, is beautifully brown and fluffy on the inside. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Thanks, Paul ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:11:08 pm by vivacity »

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:40:25 am »
I don't have a Römertopf, but I remember seeing a bread recipe on the net where the bread is baked in  a cast iron pot. What do you reckon, Paul? Could this be used as well? The recipe sounds really easy and I agree that one of the best things about the Thermomix is being able to mill your own grain, so I'm definitely going to try this recipe out.

Update: I did try the recipe out today using 400g plain flour and 100g milled millet. To get some moisture into the cast iron casserole, I crumpled up some baking paper, held it under the tap to make it as soggy as possible and then pushed it up against the sides of the casserole dish. The dough rose 45 minutes in the casserole the second time and then I popped it into the pre-heated oven (200C, fan assisted) and baked the loaf for one hour with the lid on the whole time.

The loaf is brilliant. It rose really well, is beautifully brown and fluffy on the inside. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Thanks, Paul ;D

No worries V

It seems that any loaf under a cover rises well.  Apparently you can also do it in a terra cotta flower pot.  Interestingly, I have lately been using spelt and it doesn't rise as much as when I mill wheat grain.  Fun to experiment though, isn't it?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:34:13 am by Thermomixer »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:53 am »

Apparently you can also do it in a terra cotta flower pot.  ......  Fun to experiment though, isn't it?

You may be too young to remember Paul, but in Melbourne in the early 90s (?) some restaurants served little rolls that had been backed in terracotta flowerpots that were about 6 - 7 cm diam.  I seem to recall Stephen Mercer in Eltham for one.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39:54 am »

Apparently you can also do it in a terra cotta flower pot.  ......  Fun to experiment though, isn't it?

You may be too young to remember Paul, but in Melbourne in the early 90s (?) some restaurants served little rolls that had been backed in terracotta flowerpots that were about 6 - 7 cm diam.  I seem to recall Stephen Mercer in Eltham for one.

I am certainly old enough to remember them TM!  I seem to remember someone advising not to use plastic flowerpots - that would be a bit chewy.  I left Melbourne in 1992, having spent a few years attending all the top restaurants in those days.  I've been more into home cooked food than restaurant food since then, partly because the restaurant food in Cairns is largely (although not entirely) awful, and because through my reading I think self taught women cooks are better than any male chef.  Which is why my food goddesses are Stephanie, Maggie, Jane, Claudia, Marcella and Mrs David.  I don't think men can match women for generosity and nurturing.  It's more empty display with the famous male chefs.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 01:53:51 pm »
I think that the man behind Gay's later successful years needs to be included in your list.  Alice W may need to be added too?

Also have a soft spot for Cheong, Tetsuya and Philippe Mouchel, who along with Janni they are four of the most humble and generous chefs I have met.  Actually, I must include Guy Grossi (off camera), Andrew McConnell, Greg Malouf, Dan Hunter, Ben Shewry, Frank Camora, George Biron, Philip Searle, Peter Doyle - chefs who I have met who are all really very humble and generous and nurturing. 

Even Paul Bocuse (despite possible appeariances) is so humble, generous and nurturing - seriously so.

Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »
Don't forget Fuschia.   Also Sophie Grigson (daughter of Jane) is an excellent cook and writes good books... and there's Nigella Lawson in this country as well.   However, I am also a great fan of Nigel Slater so I do think men can produce good things as well!

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »
I think that the man behind Gay's later successful years needs to be included in your list.  Alice W may need to be added too?

Also have a soft spot for Cheong, Tetsuya and Philippe Mouchel, who along with Janni they are four of the most humble and generous chefs I have met.  Actually, I must include Guy Grossi (off camera), Andrew McConnell, Greg Malouf, Dan Hunter, Ben Shewry, Frank Camora, George Biron, Philip Searle, Peter Doyle - chefs who I have met who are all really very humble and generous and nurturing. 

Even Paul Bocuse (despite possible appeariances) is so humble, generous and nurturing - seriously so.

OK TM and Katya, I agree, there are some nice male cooks out there!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:22 pm »
i am so ignorant, i have no idea who most of these people are! (i am not into celebrity chef sort of stuff i guess)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 12:51:13 am »
For those interested - Philippe Mouchel helps Gabriel Gate do the Taste of le Tour segments at the beginning of the evening (in Oz) broadcast of the Tour de France

Link: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipeindex/RecipeByTVShowMain/28/1/noperpage/93

Tonight, it will be Frank Camorra, from MoVida, doing paellaas the Tour goes into Spain.  He appears to be a fairly quiet and very humble chef - having met him again at a cooking class/dinner 2 weeks ago.  He also cooked for my 40th birthday lunch ( pre-historic times !!) while he was working with the Grossi family.

Philippe has been doing these segments for a few years now ( and I a, almost certain he receives no money - he is generous)

Thermomixer in Australia