Author Topic: Greek Style Lamb Marinade  (Read 23925 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Greek Style Lamb Marinade
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
Name of Recipe:  Greek Style Lamb Marinade

Number of People: depends on the amount of meat used

Ingredients:
1 lemon
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup olive oil

Preparation:
Cut the top and bottom from the lemon and slice in quarters. Remove any visible seeds. Place in TM bowl with garlic, thyme, oregano, bay, salt and pepper. Pulverise for 5-8 seconds on speed 9.  Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add oil and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5. Spread the paste over a butterflied leg of lamb (massage it well into both sides), cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight if possible (I highly recommend the overnight soak  ;)).

Tips/Hints:
Could be used on just about any other type of meat.
The consistency should be a fairly runny paste, thick enough to stick to the meat, but thin enough to coat all surfaces well.  Just add more oil if it's too thick or you need it to go further.
I used fresh thyme but dried oregano and bay.  I'm sure any combination of dry or fresh would be fine.
Enjoy!  :D  My lunch guests yesterday were very impressed with this  ;D.  I cooked the lamb in a hot Weber Q bbq, which always adds a lovely smokey element as well.

members' comments

CP - the lamb had been marinating for just over a day in the fridge, and was soooo mouthwatering and tender. Served with lots of steamed vegetables and baked potatoes. Thankyou opi2kenopi for such a nice marinade.

VHJ - I boned a leg of lamb and made this marinade for it. Yummo is all we could say as we polished it off. A really tasty and very easy marinade. Thanks Opi2kenopi.

scatterson - I added a lot of my own herbs to this and it's soooo yummy! A very good basic recipe.

maddy - Lovely marinade - I used it on 1 kg chicken thighs, left for several hours, then slow cooked for 3 hours on high.

deedub - I used this marinade on a butterflied leg of lamb which I cooked on the Weber Q - fantastic! I actually made it for the grown-ups but my 8yo loved it as well. I've just had some leftovers in a sandwich with lettuce & tomato and it's just as good served cold. Highly recommended.

MDU - made a great Varoma lamb recipe enhanced by your marinade.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:55:45 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Style Lamb Marinade
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:18 am »
Love the sound of this O2K, so easy to make too in the TMX. Will keep this one in mind for my next weber lamb roast. I can well believe your guests were impressed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:02 am »
Leg of lamb on the shopping list this week so I can try this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:29 pm »
I just wanted to share with you what else was on the menu for my guests on Saturday (just because I'm still amazed at how much TMX can do, how much I was able to prepare before lunch time, and how much I've been able to learn in my first week of Thermomixing).

Starters:  I made lavosh crackers (recipe from http://tickofyum.webs.com/apps/blog/show/5191584-lavosh) & tzatziki dip (EDC)
Sides:  mayonnaise (EDC), coleslaw (EDC), potato salad (steamed potatoes in varoma while eggs boiled in basket; dressing was mayonnaise, seeded mustard, bacon, & spring onions), french dressing (EDC) for a green salad, Isi's Easy Portugese Rolls and butter which I'd set in flower-shaped silicon ice cube trays  :D
Dessert:  lemon meringue pie (EDC) - wasn't happy with the meringue so just served as a lemon tart
Drinks:  homemade 'orange-ade'

Yep officially a Thermomix addict...  ;D

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:53:14 am »
Sounds all too yummy, will have to do the lamb! Just have to find some extra time - it's a crazy week for us this week, and next week isn't looking any better  :( I like the idea of the butter in the flower moulds, great presentation idea!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:44 am »
That was a great effort O2K.  It just takes a little planning then maximum usage of the TMX makes it oh so easy. All in your first week too which is even more amazing.  Congratulations.  I think I am going to enjoy reading your 'what I did for visitors today' threads  :D :D

Offline BubbleGrub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:26 am »
Great marinade for the Greek Lamb - I love the idea of a whole lemon blitzed - extra zingy flavour. I have my boned leg on the bench ready to go and just going to dash out to the garden to grab some fresh oregano. It will be heavenly.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:17 am »
I can't wait to use this marinade.  I have a nice lamb leg waiting......just need some fresh thyme.

BTW......I just love your avatar and forum name   8)  It's the cutest!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 10:37:11 am »
Thanks Maddy!  :)  The avatar is done with some digital scrapping graphics by Kristin Aagard (she's my favourite designer).  The name is taken from my DH's sometime nickname from years ago.  Our surname is Opie.  Back in the days of Star Wars, my husband was known as Opie-wan Kenopi (after Obiwan Kenobi - for those who aren't familiar).  When I started seeing my DH, a couple of friends bestowed me with the Opie-two nickname.  When DS1 was in-utero, we called him Opie-three!  Yep, a bit nerdy I know!  ;D

I hope you enjoy the lamb it as much as we did.

Great marinade for the Greek Lamb - I love the idea of a whole lemon blitzed - extra zingy flavour. I have my boned leg on the bench ready to go and just going to dash out to the garden to grab some fresh oregano. It will be heavenly.

I agree about using the whole lemon.  I was about to zest it and juice it, thought better of it  ;) and threw the lot in.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:49:05 am »
this is all bagged up in the fridge ready to go for tomorrow. i'll let you know how it goes...

the lamb had been marinating for just over a day in the fridge, and was soooo mouthwatering and tender. Served with lots of steamed vegetables and baked potatoes. (i tried to make my own gravy and stuffed it up, but i sort of know where i came undone). thankyou opi2kenopi for such a nice marinade.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:55:09 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it CreamPuff.   :D

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:05 am »
I boned a leg of lamb and made this marinade for it. Yummo is all we could say as we polished it off. A really tasty and very easy marinade. Thanks Opi2kenopi
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline scatterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »
I added a lot of my own herbs to this and it's soooo yummy! A very good basic recipe. Going to put it on the rotisserie my husband is building on our patio.TX! :P

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 03:12:44 pm »
What beautiful view scatterson . :o Welcome to the forum,you have found one of many delicious recipes here. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:13 am »
Hi scatterson, welcome to the forum.  Is that where you live - ooh, I could handle that view every day  :) :)