Author Topic: Thai Fish Cakes  (Read 48616 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Thai Fish Cakes
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:24 am »
My recipe for Taud Man Pla

250 gms white fish in chunks
3 Tbs red curry paste (nam prik gaeng ped)
2 Tbs fish sauce ( Nam pla)
3 eggs
3 Tbs cornflour
1/4 Tsp baking soda
6 Kaffir lime leaves (bai ma-grood) thinly sliced

Put it all in the TMX  on 3-4 until mixed. I usually put it in the fridge for a bit to firm up then shape and deep or shallow fry.

I originally got this recipe from Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook many years ago.

Any white firm fish will do including shark. Doesn't matter as you won't taste it anyway. Any brand of Thai  curry paste  will do, so long as it is not oily and won't separate.  I use Mae Ploy as  I have seen many Thai people use it in my many trips to Thailand.

These can be frozen, either before they're cooked or after. If after they will not have the puffiness but still taste good.

These are nice cold too.

Gretchen

Members' comments
JD - Gretchen, these were delicious - thank you so much for posting this recipe.  I used cod but cut the curry paste by half as I'm a bit of a wimp.  Might up it a bit next time as they were not as hot as I thought they'd be - small steps. Served them with VHJ's green beans with char sui sauce and stir-fried bok choy and carrot.

Katiej - I love Thai fish cakes and have tried many times to make them, but I've never really been happy with the results. I made these last night and they were fabulous. My DH said I think you've finally cracked it! Thanks for the recipe Gert!

courton - This is so good! Added chopped shallots and red chilli at the end. 5/5 from us. Thanks Gert.

MF - Made these tonight and absolutely yummy. Way nicer than my previous recipe. We had them with a green papaya salad (som tam) and a chilli, lime and lemongrass dipping sauce.

Frozzie -  I doubled the fish and added chilli and a small onion. With brown rice, homemade 'real' mayo and salad.. Was quite nice. Thx gert  

MangoJam - I made these for a BBQ I was having last evening. They were just delicious . I  served them with the Sweet Chilli Sauce which I also made from this site and they complimented each other so well. I added, after processing the mixture, some home grown coriander and finely sliced green beans. I ended up with half a fishcake only as the others loved them so much. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

maddy - Yummy thanks Gert  

KimmyH - Doubled the fish but kept everything else the same. They are lovely. Thanks Gert for sharing a great recipe. Will be making these again.

Some have found the recipe sloppy - advice was to refrigerate the mixture before making into patties or perhaps add some more fish or a bit of cornflour.

Madhouse - The extra fish made a difference. They were really yummy.

buzzbee - My whole family love these fish cakes - they are such a quick and easy yet delicious, healthy meal. Thanks for the recipe!

JenJan - I made these with rockling and they went down very well with my boys! I served them with a chopped salad and TM sweet chilli sauce. Healthy, tasty and easy! Yay!! Thanks Gert!

Bonsai - cooked them in the oven. I lightly sprayed with oil then 10 mins at 180o C - they looked a bit pale so extra 5 mins at 200oC to brown them a bit. I used 1kg fish so doubled the rest of the ingredients and blitzed the kafir and a red chilli first. Had to use the spatula to get all the fish to incorporate properly. Might do it in 2 batches if I do this much again. The mixture was quite soft but easy to handle with wet hands.

Jeninwa - mixture was a bit sloppy even after adding more cornflour, spooned mixture into frypan, they puffed up and were the best fish cakes I've had.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:32:50 am by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Fish Cakes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:02:49 am »
These look so easy that even I could make them. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:24:27 am »
I have been making them for years and easy as. You can fiddly about, add and subtact but why bother? Of course I alwasy add extra chili but the Mae Ploy Red Curry paste is great.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:54 am »
what sort of fish do you use GBS? Or as availability varies depending on where you live - what is suitable? Is Mae Ploy a brand name?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:02:50 am »
what sort of fish do you use GBS? Or as availability varies depending on where you live - what is suitable? Is Mae Ploy a brand name?
Any white firm fish will do including shark. Doesn't matter as you won't taste it anyway. Any brand of Thai  curry paste  will do, so long as it is not oily and won't separate.  I use Mae Ploy as  I have seen many Thai people use it in my many trips to Thailand.

Too easy fish cakes I say. No fuss and taste is authentic.

Gert

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
thanks to people like you its always pleasing to be able to offer around a nice platter of tasty treats  ;D and they do look nice and easy to make
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:01:01 am »
Gretchen, these were delicious - thank you so much for posting this recipe.  I used cod but cut the curry paste by half as I'm a bit of a whimp.  Might up it a bit next time as they were not as hot as I thought they'd be - small steps  :-)) :-))
Served them with VHJ's green beans with char sui sauce and stir-fried bok choy and carrot.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:15:00 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:13:26 am »
I wonder if DH will agree to these for dinner?  hmmmm

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:34:53 am »
Well done Judy.  There are a few Thai Curry pastes that are not at all hot but full of flavour. You just have to find one that suits. Mae Ploy make at least 6 different sorts and they last for years. Glad you liked them and you will make them again as they are soooooo easy.

Gretch

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:19:07 am »
You are not wrong there Gretchen.  Very exotic but oh so easy as you said.

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »
I did end up making these the other day.

Did others find it is more like a batter rather than a 'meatball' type thing?  Or did I mess it up?

Mine were rather salty (possibly my fish sauce - will reduce the amount next time), and a little spicy for us (DH brought a different curry paste from the shop so probably why).

I'm looking forward to trying these again soon.

Thanks for sharing this recipe Gretchen.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:01:54 am by rubyslippers »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 11:52:49 pm »
Maybe overprocessed a bit and too much fish sauce for you. This recipe is good for tweaking to your palate. Try a mild curry paste like a masaman or yellow Thai. 

Gretch

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:14:49 am »
Mine wasn't like a meatball mixture rubyslippers, more a thick batter but not too salty - maybe I over processed too but they were really lovely little things. I used Thai Gourmet Red Curry Paste but did cut the quantity down to 1.5 tblspns (will use 2 next time though and see if I can gradually work my way up to 3).  Used the full 2 tblspn fish sauce though (poonsin Fish Sauce brand).

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 02:12:18 am »
Thanks Gretch & Judy.   :)

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:05:47 am »
I am planning on making these for dinner tonight and was just wondering if anyone had made them using the every day cookbook red curry paste? That's all I have here at the moment.

cottchick