Author Topic: Fish Pie (from the UK EDC)  (Read 42140 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fish Pie (from the UK EDC)
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:20:09 am »
500g fish fillets - a mixture of firm white fish such as cod, haddock or monkfish - skin and bones removed (I used Flathead but you
could use Hake, Salmon or Red Snapper)
juice of 1/2 lemon
300g milk
200g water
60g butter
40g plain flour
20g parsley
3 spring onions (optional, not in original recipe but they added some flavour)
S & P to taste
pinch of nutmeg
Mashed potato for topping.

Preheat oven to 220o.
Put the milk and water into the TM bowl and insert the steamer basket. Put fish fillets into basket with the lemon juice squeezed over it.  Cook 12 minutes 100o speed 4.
Tip the fish liquid into a bowl and set aside the fish separately. Cut the fish into bite sized chunks.
Rinse and dry the TM bowl. Drop the parsley and spring onion onto the running blades at speed 8.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula.
Weigh the fish liquid back into the TM bowl, using extra milk if necessary to make it up to 400g.
Add the butter, flour and seasonings.  Cook 4 minutes on 100o Speed 4.
Taste and adjust seasonings
Add the fish back into the sauce and mix for 10-20 seconds on soft speed, reverse.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish, top with mashed potato and dobs of butter.
Place in a preheated oven until brown on top.

Members' comments
Shayla - I have made this too it is delicious; I chop the spring onion and parsley first then the bowl does not need to be washed out as it just stays in for steaming the fish.

troycam lee82 - Just tried this recipe - great flavour.  Used latchet, salmon and a few scallops though, and leek instead of the spring onion as I don't like a super spring onion-y flavour.  Leek needs cooking a bit (after dropping onto the blades, I used a few nobs of butter, 100oC for 2,30m), and then took the leek out, chopped the parsley, added the leeks back in again.  I left the scallops out right until the last minute (ie adding to the casserole dish), but even then they were a bit overcooked, I'll probably leave them out all together next time.   REALLY delicious though, fantastic recipe, makes me want to explore the UK EDC a bit more.

CP - Made this last night from the F&E cookbook. Used snapper, took the curry powder alternative and also added 3 sliced boiled eggs, about 3 chopped spring onions to the filling, and then puff pastry to top instead of mashed potato. As a side dish, made brons Sauteed Potatoes (from this forum). It was deelishus  5/5 and will make it again definitely! Sliced boiled egg is also a nice addition.

Lellyj - Thank you for this recipe (which I found via CP's list of faves).  It was easy and delicious.  I just used gummy shark fillets, but I agree that it could easily be "tarted up" for visitors by adding more glamorous fish and seafood.  It would look lovely served in individual ramekins too. Thanks again.

Julia Balbilla -  made this using pollack, haddock, salmon with the curry option too.  I used a spice mix called Pakistani Basar, which can be obtained in Asian grocery shops in the UK - not sure about Australia though.  I didn't try it myself, but DH enjoyed it although he said it could have done with some garlic and onion.

obbie - made with King Salmon, it was wonderful.

JD - I've also made individual pies using bits and pieces from the freezer, 1 piece of flathead, 1 piece of salmon and a handful of raw prawns then topped with pastry.

ES - We had this for dinner last night. This was really easy to make and both kids cleaned up their plates. My only problem was the mash sinking to the bottom, it didn't look pretty but it tasted good.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:09:32 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Fish Pie (from the UK EDC)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:44:35 am »
Sounds nice Judy  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:50 am »
It was JulieO. DH commented before I even got around to asking him what he thought of it.  The parsley and spring onion made the sauce a lovely green colour.  I compared this one with the one in our Seafood Book but this one was much cheaper to make and for a weekday meal, I can't see the point in spending too much money.  You could spruce it up for visitors by adding some pink salmon or prawns, maybe some wine in the liquid.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:56:02 am »
Good tips, thanks Judy  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:17 pm »
Thanks JD - simple but tasty and as you say - able to be jazzed up for parties - thinking
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
Drop the parsley and spring onion onto the running blades at speed 8.
Judy, does this do something different than just putting them in the bowl and turning it on?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:56:55 pm »
Cathy, this is the first time I've used this method to chop herbs and found it worked so much better. We don't seem to have that method in our books and I think I read somewhere that it was something that was used in the old TM21.  I rather like it though and for this recipe it works really well, making a nice even chop. Probably what made the sauce a nice green colour too.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:53 pm »
The dropping things onto rotating blades is very common in English recipes - they drop garlic, onions etc onto rotating bades.  It was used more with TM21 as JD says.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:53:48 pm »
Thank you for this recipe - I read your comment that it was delicious.
Regards
Barbara
Barbara

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:25:53 am »
I think I'll give this a whirl Judy. We still have some mulloway in the freezer from Monkey Mia.  It needs to be cooked in something like this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 08:48:51 am »
Think I will give this one a go as well. I'm not a fish lover but DS1 loves the stuff so try to cook it for him occasionally.
Thanks JD
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:39 am »
I have made this too it is delicious; I chop the spring onion and parsley first then the bowl does not need to be washed out as it just stays in for steaming the fish. I prefer to drop herbs onto running blades when a small quantity. I also chop the soap like that too for the washing powder.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 09:37:18 am »
If you drop the soap onto the blades, how large are the pieces you use please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »
If you drop the soap onto the blades, how large are the pieces you use please?

I wondered this too cookie1 - I usually put my soap bars into a snap-lock bag and hit a few times with a hammer or rolling pin to break up into 4-5 pieces per bar.  I haven't tried dropping them onto the blades yet, but think that as long as they were small enough to go through the hole, they should be fine.

I have been trying the drop method with onions and herbs and I think it does give a finer chop first time.
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »
The pieces I cut are about 1.5cm cubes - I use green sunlight soap. If I put it in and turn the machine on it always seems to get stuck on the blades and I have to start again!