Author Topic: Cornish Pasty Review from The British Isles on a Plate p46  (Read 3450 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cornish Pasty Review from The British Isles on a Plate p46
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:35 am »
We had this for dinner a couple of nights ago. I normally use mince in my pasties so the skirt steak was quite a change for us to get used to. I didn't put any swede in the mix either. Next time I make them I will definitely put lots more vegies in. (although it won't be a true Cornish Pasty then)
I loved working with the pastry. I didn't use lard, just all butter. I don't know if it was the Bakers' Flour that  made it different but it was tasty and easy to work with the heat. I made 2 largish pasties.
I will definitely make this again but with my Aussie alterations.
4/5

Linked JM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:51:09 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish Pasty Review from The British Isles on a Plate p46
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:25:10 am »
Delicious looking pasty Cookie.
Skirt is traditionally used in a Cornish Pasty and so is Swede.Some people add carrot. I presume these ingredients were cheap and always available for the Cornish housewife.My Mum used lard in her pastry,I believe is gives it a flaky texture.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
My Mum always used lard in her pastry too. She broke all the pastry making rules but made the lightest, flaky pastry I have ever eaten.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:24:39 pm »
My husband and I were talking about Cornish pasties the other night. You don't see them anymore unless you find a traditional bakery, and they're not that common.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:07:45 am »
I made these today, as we had a painter here painting our new bathroom and laundry.  He has a lot of work on at the moment, so to fit in our job he had to start on a Sunday.  Richard kindly told him I'd make him lunch!  Not knowing what he liked I made these pasties - as who doesn't like pasties!  I also made a Thai chicken curry for our dinner tomorrow night, so I had that as a back up plan in case he preferred that (but he was more than happy with the pasties  :)). The painting isn't finished and he'll be back again on Friday.

I did use lard in the pastry, as I have a huge lump of it in the fridge.  I know it's not particularly good for you, but it makes the pastry taste delicious.  The pastry was very easy to work with.  I used skirt steak, but I didn't use swede as last time I made Cornish pasties I thought the swede was overpowering.  I used pumpkin instead, so they were no longer traditional Cornish pasties.  I made 6 decent sized pasties.  The were delicious and we all enjoyed them.  I dropped one over to my Mum this afternoon. I'll definitely make them again.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:25:06 pm »
I used is recipe to make Pasties for dinner.

The pastry was easy to work with and would be my to go recipe for future pasty making.I feel that there needs to be more potato and onion added and less meat but that's my own personal taste. Growing up in Cornwall meat was expensive so Pasties contained the traditional veg with a little meat and lots of S&P.
We did enjoy them as I don't make them very often.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.