Author Topic: Recipe review: Vanilla Bean Pastry; Nifty but Thrifty p27  (Read 2330 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Recipe review: Vanilla Bean Pastry; Nifty but Thrifty p27
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:49 am »
This is the same recipe as already put in the "Whats for Dessert" e-book.  Except that the instruction in the "Whats for Dessert" book are better IMO.  In that version of the recipe the sugar, butter, vanilla and flour are turned into breadcrumb-texture before adding the ice cold water bit by bit, mixing on interval speed, until the desired texture is achieved.  In "Nifty but Thrifty" the volume of water to use is specified as 20g, and the cold water is added all in with the butter and flour, and all mixed in together on speed 6 rather than interval speed.  I found that the mixture was too wet and that the texture wasn't as smooth as when I used the method in "Whats for Dessert".  I think that by premixing the butter and flour to breadcrumbs gives a better texture to the dough, and by adding the water in bit by bit and stopping as soon as it forms a ball gives more control over the dough, when the butter-flour mixture may vary depending on brands used and the temperature of the day. 
Linked CC
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:08:56 am by Cornish Cream »
Karen in Adelaide

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review: Vanilla Bean Pastry; Nifty but Thrifty p27
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:28 am »
I haven't made the NBT pastry Karen, but I totally agree with you that the water should be bit by bit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review: Vanilla Bean Pastry; Nifty but Thrifty p27
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:32 am »
Thanks for the tips about the pastry Karen. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.