Author Topic: Gooey Flourless Fudge Brownies (p175, Quirky Cookbook)  (Read 3932 times)

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
Gooey Flourless Fudge Brownies (p175, Quirky Cookbook)
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:29:32 pm »
My first time making these tonight, and I had to make some substitutions right off the bat - I replaced the coconut oil (which I had unbelievably run out of!) with similar quantity of macadamia oil, and (despite a clear note not to do so, used dried dates instead of medjool. I have not, at this stage, iced it.

My thoughts? I soaked the dates first in boiling water and the finished brownie seems to have a good, fudgey texture. It was hard to pick when to get them out of the oven, especially as I just cooked in a regular slice tray, but I pulled them out when edges looked done and the centre still soft, which so far seems right.  When I first tasted them hot from oven, I wasn't super impressed, but Ho is right - much better cooled. I'm enjoying them from the fridge, the flavours definitely come out more.

The sugar addict in me wants me to ice these immediately, but they are good without, just not the super sweetness of traditional brownies.

Very simple to make, I look forward to following the recipe a bit more closely next time!!
Linked CC
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:34:51 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
Re: Gooey Flourless Fudge Brownies (p175, Quirky Cookbook)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »
I think I must have done something wrong with these as they turned out very firm and we didn't really enjoy them. I did cook for the time mentioned but I am wondering if my pan was the wrong size.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Gooey Flourless Fudge Brownies (p175, Quirky Cookbook)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:56:21 am »
I have made these (and eaten them) twice now. The first time I cooked too long and they were hard. But nothing a quick warm in the microwave....and lashings of cream can't fix. The second time I cooked them one shelf down from centre of oven and exactly the time mentioned. They looked uncooked, but I left on the bench to set. By the next day, they were perfect. I haven't put them in the fridge as it is cold here at the moment. They are delicious. More like a fudgey slice than a traditional brownie, but very, very, yummy. I have used the chocolate stated in recipe and also normal dark choc melts as dairy free is not a problem in our house. Loved the flavour of both. Will make again.