Author Topic: Quirky Cooking - Black Bean Molé (page 128)  (Read 4448 times)

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
Quirky Cooking - Black Bean Molé (page 128)
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:05 am »
This was the first time I've ever made or even tasted a chocolate chili, and I was actually a bit nervous about what the resulting flavour would be .. I need-not have worried though because it's Really Good!

The only alteration I made was to sub in 1/2tsp of dried chili as I couldn't find any fresh (skipping step 2), and after removing half for another meal (makes heaps and there's only me and the boy to feed) I added 1/2 cup of frozen corn (sweetness & texture worked well) and cooked for another 5min 100/ :-: ^^ .. Then served with rice to soak up all the sauce .. YUM!

PS: It's oddly not mentioned in the recipe, but it pays to weigh & grate chocolate in TMX (then set aside) at the very beginning - unless of course you like grating by hand?!   :-))

PPS: I think next time I may throw in a handful of sultanas too, again I think the sweetness will blend well and the texture will be a good addition  ;)
Linked CC

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:41:56 am by Cornish Cream »
~ Clare

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking - Black Bean Molé (page 128)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »
We had this for dinner tonight and all really loved it. It is definitely sweeter than any chilli that I have had before and we probably wouldn't want it any sweeter. I didn't grate the chocolate and it melted fine. My boys all had it with cheese and sour cream (probably not very traditional but they loved it) and we all had it with cauliflower rice. Lovely dinner.

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:50 am »
Good to know about the chocolate, thanks! 

I hadn't realize that it was listed as 'grated' in the ingredients until it was time to weigh it in ..
~ Clare

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:08:46 am »
Had this again with rice & steamed carrot & green beans .. Added corn & sultanas as I'd planned to try (for texture & surprise more than flavour), and it's an absolute winner for us  :D
~ Clare

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »
I'm trying a main a week with this book & will have to add it to the list for next week.  I've definitely haven't made anything like this before but it sounds like a winner.