Author Topic: Quirky Cooking - Apple Berry Custard Crumble  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
Quirky Cooking - Apple Berry Custard Crumble
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:07:50 pm »
Made this tonight for a dessert as we had visitors and I have to admit I was a bit nervous with it being gluten free and using flours I have never used before.  I needn't of worried as we all loved it.  It was simple to make and tasted great.  The custard made with coconut milk was really nice.  I did find it a bit sweet for me but I think that has to do with the fact that I don't have sugar any more :) My DS15 as was the rest of the family and visitors very complimentary!  5/5

Linked JD
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:27:48 pm by judydawn »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Quirky Cooking - Apple Berry Custard Crumble
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »
Lucky you having the book already.  What were the unusual ingredients used?  Nice to see that there is a custard recipe that doesn't have dairy in it and gald it turned out well for you.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 11:54:50 pm »
Thanks for the review Shazzy .. I love Jo's recipes & I use her cashew custard recipe a lot http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/cashew-honey-vanilla-bean-custard.html, so can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the book and try this too!

~ Clare

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:07:25 am »
I think you will both love the book - I know I do :) the gluten free flour had sorghum flour and potato starch - both that I have never used before for example. We had left overs of this dessert today for lunch and it was still lovely. Will definitely make again soon :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:54 am »
I think Jo's book is going to be a wonderful guide to those with dietery restrictions and also to those that don't have specific cooking guidelines.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:27:41 am »
Made this again tonight and reduced the sugar to 20gms in the custard and 20gms in the crumble and we all preferred it this way. My DS15 particularly loves this.

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »
We love this in our house especially the custard. 5/5 kids ate it so thsts got to be a success!