Author Topic: Creme Brulee  (Read 32198 times)

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
Re: Creme Brulee
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 10:19:39 am »
from Thermomix australia

sound very easy.no baking

Name of Recipe:Creme Brulee
Number of People: Makes 6 – 8 half cup ramekins.
Ingredients:
400 g whipping cream

70 g granulated sugar

1 tsp real vanilla  extract or seeds from 1 vanilla pod

250-300 g eggs (approx. 5 eggs)

Brown sugar for topping

Preparation:
250-300 g eggs (approx. 5 eggs)

Brown sugar for topping

1. Place all ingredients except brown sugar in mixing bowl. Mix 1 min/speed 3.

2. Cook 15 min/90°C/speed 3. If cold eggs or cream are used, you may need to cook a little longer to thicken the mixture if necessary, as it will thicken more when cooling.

3. Check that crème looks perfectly smooth and is not grainy at all. Rescue tip: If crème has gone grainy or become scrambled, it is easy to rescue.  Add 30g cold milk or cream and blend 30 sec/speed 8. Repeat if necessary.

4. Pour out immediately into  individual ramekins or a large dish. Leave to cool to room temperature, and  then chill in fridge. Dredge thickly with brown sugar then caramelise the sugar  by heating it under a hot grill or with a kitchen blowtorch.

Variations
Chocolate Crème Brûlée’s
Add 100g chocolate (broken into  pieces) after cooking for 15 minutes and blend on speed 3 until combined and melted.

Cinnamon/Chai Crème Brûlée’s
Add 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon or  Chai Powder at the beginning with all other ingredients.

Coffee Crème Brûlée’s
Add 1-2 tsp ground coffee or  1 espresso shot at the beginning with all other ingredients.

Irish Crème Brûlée’s
Add 50g liqueur of choice (e.g.; Bailey’s, Kahlua, Grand Marnier or Frangelico) at the beginning with all other ingredients

Members' comments
Uni - After 24 hours still not set, will cook longer next time.

JulieO - I actually made these about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I must have saved the recipe from either one of the email newsletters or copied it from the other website, I really can't remember as it was a while ago, but I had a note next to the egg amounts, to use 275g worth of eggs.  I used 6 eggs and scooped out some of the whites until what was left weighed the 275g, whether this helped I don't know but my brulee's set like apparently they should, ie a set top with the underneath luscious, smooth and thick (not runny).  I did make them the day before wanting them and left them overnight to set.
I'd always thought that they should set firm like creme caramels do, but I was informed that's not the case.  Regardless these were the nicest little custards I've ever eaten.

Rogizoja - I've found you definitely need to use more yolks in the mix (preferably all yolks) to get the perfect "set".  The UK EDC book calls for 4 large eggs or 8 large yolks - I have used 2 eggs and 4 yolks successfully but still say all yolks gives the best results.
This is definitely a "wow" desert when having guests around - get them to help make it. An added twist is to put some frozen blueberries/blackberries/any-other-berries into the bottom of your ramekins then pour the hot creme over them, then sugar and flame. Delicious.

Nikkit - My daughter and I made this yesterday for dessert as the kids gave me a "blow torch" (creme brulee set) for Christmas. It set, it was yummy and my blow torch was loads of fun to use! (although the dogs weren't impressed with the noise it made. Will make it again, trying the variations listed.

Hi All,

Sorry if this seems a silly question but can you tell me do you weigh the eggs in the shell or out of the shell?

Thanks in advance,

Steve :-)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:14:11 am by sdm197 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:52 am »
I'd just use 5 eggs Steve but someone may be able to answer your question.  I checked out the one on the UK site and that just says 4 eggs, no weight mentioned.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:23 am »
Hi,

I did try the UK version but it did not work, it was too runny, I gave it extra time as suggested 8 + an extra 4 minutes but as I had not done these before I did not know what consistency to look for. That is why I thought I would give this version a go.

thanks for your reply,

Steve.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 11:26:36 am »
Steve I just looked in the Fast & Easy Cookbook to see if the recipe is different to the UK Thermomix website and it's similar but they list the eggs as 4 extra large eggs or 8 extra large egg yolks
Extra large eggs in the UK are Over 73g

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:29:33 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline sdm197

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:20 pm »
Hi Cornish Cream,

the funny thing is I was using the ones from Tesco called "Big & Fresh" which are large eggs but I did not weigh them. I will weigh them this time but was not sure if they are meant to weighed in the shell, or cracked into a bowl.

thanks for your reply,

Steve.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »
I would look for the egg boxes that say Ex-large eggs Steve,I shop in Tesco and have seen them there.
In recipes I assumed that you weigh the eggs in the shell but I agree it is misleading.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.