Author Topic: Cottage Rolls  (Read 47188 times)

Offline smitch

• View Profile
Re: Cottage Rolls
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »
Thanks so much for this recipe.... the party was today and they were so quick to make... at first I thought the mixture looked a bit gloopy but by the time I went to put it onto the puff pastry sheets it was fine! My husband only bought 250g of cottage cheese so I used cream cheese for the other 250g.... it made about 12-14 rolls per sheet of puff pastry which was more than enough!! Everyone at the party raved how good they were and my kids polished off more for dinner. This is definitely a winner of a recipe. Thanks again!!
mum of 4 from Sydney... DS 5, DS 4, DD 2.5, DD 1... busy!

Offline smitch

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »
oh, meant to say... the recipe says to bake for 35mins... but I found it only took about 15mins before they were lovely and golden.
thanks again  ;D
mum of 4 from Sydney... DS 5, DS 4, DD 2.5, DD 1... busy!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »
Glad to hear they were so successful, Smitch.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:25 am »
Well done!  Maybe my oven take longer...
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:12 am »
I've got some of these in the oven at the moment and even more I've just rolled and frozen for another day.  Apart from the pastry these are really good for you. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get my Hubby the health nut to eat some or at least try one.   :-))

Can't wait for them to come out of the oven.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 01:05:13 am »
Woo hoo...  I always save some on the freezer for picnic or emergency food.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:55 am »
I made a half recipe yesterday and cut each 'roll' into 4, so got 24 out of it.  We really liked these, didn't expect them to be as good as they were, so easy too.   :)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09:08 am »
Lovely!  You are right Julie O, it's easy to half the recipe and alter the size.  I tend to make smaller size for my little ones.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:54 am »
I have a batch of these in the freezer, and I was wondering if any of you clever people can tell me the best way to thaw and cook them?  Do you thaw them before cooking, and does the pastry go soggy if you do this, or can you just bung them in the oven frozen?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:06 am »
I haven't done so but I would treat like normal sausage rolls and put them frozen into your oven and bake, see how you go.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 02:54:34 am »
I thawed mine in the fridge overnight then reheated but Julie's way works well. Sometimes we just need to be spontaneous with what we serve so Julie's way is the way to go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52:14 am »
I have a batch of these in the freezer, and I was wondering if any of you clever people can tell me the best way to thaw and cook them?  Do you thaw them before cooking, and does the pastry go soggy if you do this, or can you just bung them in the oven frozen?

I put them straight to the oven and bake for 35 minutes at 200oC

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »
Thank you!  :-*
Karen in Adelaide

Bonsai

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:23 am »
I've only just noticed that the instructions say to 'prick with pork', which seems to defeat the purpose of a vegetarian roll  :D

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:14 am »
Good catch  :D  I have fixed pork to fork  ;D