Author Topic: LTM's (kids rice bubble snack bars)  (Read 104990 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
LTM's (kids rice bubble snack bars)
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »
LTM’s

Ingredients
110g butter
100g sugar
2 tbsp honey
Tsp vanilla
4 cups Rice Bubbles
50g coconut

Method
Place butter, sugar and honey into TM bowl and cook for 6 minutes at 100ºC on speed 3.
Towards the end of the cooking time, add vanilla through hole in lid and allow to incorporate.
Add Rice Bubbles and coconut to bowl and mix for 10-15 seconds on Reverse + speed 3-4.
Press into paper lined baking tray and refrigerate until firm.
Cut into slices to serve.
Push choc chips into the top before placing in fridge if desired.

Recipe from Thermoix Australia blogsite/Kids cookbook/Tenina

members' comments

Karonjulie - I used coco pops and they were yum!!!   Reminded me a bit of the old "chocolate crackles".

Amanda - they were problematic - mostly because the kids couldn't take them to school as they fell apart in the heat so I ate most of them!!

Fabfour - they were a big hit with the kids. Mine have stayed together really well. I mixed them for a little longer than the recipe said and it crushed a little bit of the rice bubbles and that seemed to help it hold together. I can see that LTM's will be making a regular appearance in the kids lunchboxes.

Chelsea - I make these occasionally for my boys but I use about 80g of puffed brown rice instead of rice-bubbles and raw sugar instead of white sugar.  I blitz the raw sugar for a couple of seconds first before adding the other initial ingredients.  The puffed brown rice changes the taste and appearance but they still go down a treat with my two little ones!

Mollygrubbles - I made a marshmallow version of these.

Ingredients
200g Marshmallows
80g butter
4 cups rice bubbles (I measured this to be 130g)

Method
Place butter and marshmallows into TM bowl and cook for 8 minutes at 60ºC on speed 3.
Add Rice Bubbles to bowl and mix for approx 20 seconds on Reverse + speed 3 (until rice bubbles are coated in marshmallow mixture).
Pour mixture into a lined baking tray and press down firmly. 
Refrigerate until firm (approx 1 hour).
Tip:
These can be decorated with choc chips, sprinkles, coconut, or just leave plain.  Whatever your heart desire.

versaceyoyo - I made MGs version with marshmallows and quinoa puffs instead of rice bubbles - very quick and easy.

MJ - I made pretty much your recipe MG at Easter time. I just made it up to get rid of some rice bubbles I had in the pantry that no one was eating. They were yummy!

HelenN - I tried a different version with just chopping up a handful of marshmallows and putting them in when mixing up the rice bubbles and coconut.  They melted a bit so might help with keeping them together a bit better.   I also put them in patty pans this week instead of making a slice. 

Zan - they were a great hit! Hopefully with the cool weather they will also stand up to the lunch box next week.

Millipede  I made the marshmallow version and they were so super sweet and yummy! kids loved them. Thanks so much, will definitely be making these again.

rubyslippers - Honey puff version didn't score any points with the children.

NICKY74 - has added her Mum's version on Page 2.

Bambi - I made the marshmallow version but I put a layer of melted chocolate in the bottom of the pan then the layer of rice bubble mixture and then choc rainbow sprinkles on top, then left to set.
I find it is super sweet but that just means you cut it up smaller than 'lcm' bars are. Thanks for the tip about patty cases, will make it easier for lunch boxes.

MumtoFour - Very easy to make....my three year old loved it.

wapred - I make these quite often for my kids, I reduce the sugar and add marshmallows instead.  I find they stick together much better.

jsthermie - So following the recipe at the beginning of the thread - or from the school lunch box booklet - but
we omitted the desiccated coconut
used 100g puffed rice (whole grain brown rice)
and
instead of sugar we used Coconut palm sugar (same measurement).
The result was a beautiful toffee coloured and flavoured slice!  And we can pretend it's not quite so bad for us given the brown rice and nutrients from the palm sugar! Rapadura would no doubt give the same result. We're keeping it in the fridge.
YUM YUM YUM!!   
Will push some choc chips in next time.
They held together really well. After pouring/dropping into tin, I flattened down with a piece of baking paper between my hand and the mix so I could really push it in.

nerine - When I make these, I cut them and store them in the freezer, that way it takes a little longer for them to crumble in warm little hands.

Perth Mum - MollyGrubbles: I made your marshmallow LCM's the other day... or should I say my 8 year old made them and both the kids just loved them! They're asking to make more. Thanks for that recipe. It's well loved here!

CP - I think off memory there is some healthier version of rice bubbles (rice puffs?) from either the health shop or the health section of the supermarket. I made these on the weekend and it just vanished. Added glace cherries and next time will add some roasted peanuts and marshmallows I think. Next time I may also decrease the sugar, super easy.

Denzelmum - Made with wheat puff and topped with melted dark choc.

Jamberie - I made these following a similar recipe to MG's using marshmallow. Yummo!

Kimmyh - Great recipe thank you. We can't stop eating them. Very moreish and will definitely make again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:08:10 pm by judydawn »

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: LTM's (kids rice bubble snack bars)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:09 pm »
Sounds lovely - thanks for the recipe.  I'm going to make some tomorrow for my daughter (honest - no, really.  I wouldn't dream of eating any myself   :D)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:13:02 am »
Thanks baf65, memories of childhood.  Yummy sweets made with rice bubbles and corn flakes.   ;D ;D

;) - yes, I can still remember ancient history.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:12:23 pm »
I made these and used coco pops and they were yum!!!   Reminded me a bit of the old "chocolate crackles".

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:13:24 am »
I made these a week or 2 ago and they were problematic - mostly because the kids couldn't take them to school as they fell apart in the heat so I ate most of them!! ;D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:49:08 am »
LOL, same here Amanda!!! 
Now anyone know how the real LCM bars stay stuck together longer? 
They really arent a great one for Aussie lunch boxes at the moment!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:24:43 am »
I haven't used any in years, and not sure about the health side, but would copha produce a more solid result?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:35:28 am »
LOL, same here Amanda!!! 
Now anyone know how the real LCM bars stay stuck together longer? 
They really arent a great one for Aussie lunch boxes at the moment!

I have a recipe somewhere for the real LCM bars that involves melted marshmallows, rice bubbles and not much else - I'll look it up because they stay together.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:48 am »
oh yuk i hate that copha stuff!!!
when i was little we used to make rice krispy cakes just with chocolate and rice bubbbles, mind you that was england so it was never warm enough for them to melt!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:07:01 pm »
oh yuk i hate that copha stuff!!!
when i was little we used to make rice krispy cakes just with chocolate and rice bubbbles, mind you that was england so it was never warm enough for them to melt!
That's what I used to make to any 'bring a cake' do in Germany, as it was so quick, and so popular.  People always thought they were brilliant, and they took me about 2 minutes  ;D  But again, definitely not a great idea for the summer.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »
We always made the marshmallow version, with melted butter too...  I still love them ;)  I think the recipe used to be on the Rice Krispy's box...

Offline Fabfour

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 04:09:10 am »
I made these yesterday and they were a big hit with the kids. Mine have stayed together really well. I mixed them for a little longer than the recipe said and it crushed a little bit of the rice bubbles and that seemed to help it hold together. I can see that LTM's will be making a regular appearance in the kids lunchboxes.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
I make these occasionally for my boys, but I use about 80g of puffed brown rice instead of rice-bubbles and raw sugar instead of white sugar.  I blitz the raw sugar for a couple of seconds first before adding the other initial ingredients.  The puffed brown rice changes the taste and appearance, but they still go down a treat with my two little ones!
Chelsea  :)

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 12:40:16 pm »
I made a marshmallow version of these tonight

Ingredients
200g Marshmallows
80g butter
4 cups rice bubbles (I measured this to be 130g)

Method
Place butter and marshmallows into TM bowl and cook for 8 minutes at 60ºC on speed 3.
Add Rice Bubbles to bowl and mix for approx 20 seconds on Reverse + speed 3 (untile rice bubbles are coated in marshmallow mixture).
Pour mixture into a lined baking tray and press down firmly. 
Refrigerate until firm (approx 1 hour).

Tip:
These can be decorated with choc chips, sprinkles, coconut, or just leave plain.  Whatever your heart desires.
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
MG I made these today with marshmallows an qunioa puffs instead of rice bubbles - very quick and easy