Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7859775 times)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #34905 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:11 pm »
Good morning everyone.

Thanks Chookie, I will look up your recipe.  I have always used the same one from my old PWMU book.  I bought this when I got married many years ago :)  I did make one batch from a recipe I found on the forum.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #34906 on: February 21, 2018, 12:06:07 am »
Chookie, I looked up your recipe and found it here Bess's Tomato Sauce, complete with comments from me.  :)  I must have made it at some time and liked it so will make it again next time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34907 on: February 21, 2018, 01:10:47 am »
I always get interested when I see a thermomix in a café or speak with someone who has one. DH had a couple of men come round to see the engine that he has put in the latest restoration a while back. One of them remarked that I had one, then DH pointed out that I had two! Apparently he has been thinking of getting one. Naturally DH told him how wonderful it was.

Margaret I often do that. Then realise when I see a comment from me I must have  made it. So much food to make and not enough people to eat it is my problem.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34908 on: February 21, 2018, 06:25:44 am »
Mab, felt a bit pushy recommending one of my recipes, but do think this one is good.
Cookie. I suffer from the same complaint.  Luckily my gardener will take anything I cook.  Her boys always ask what she was given today.  I sent them some of Trudy’s lemon muffins today.  We of course tested them for morning tea. !
She brought me a Kombucha s scobie today.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #34909 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:07 am »
I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with the kombucha.  Let me know what recipe you follow!  I would love to know the nutritional break down of the drink as well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34910 on: February 21, 2018, 06:29:18 am »
I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with the kombucha.  Let me know what recipe you follow!  I would love to know the nutritional break down of the drink as well.
Will do.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34911 on: February 21, 2018, 06:51:38 am »

"Margaret I often do that. Then realise when I see a comment from me I must have  made it. So much food to make and not enough people to eat it is my problem." 

This is exactly my problem cookie. I do very little cooking anymore and when I do it is so hard to make less and I then get sick of eating it. When I freeze the excess I then don't want it and since the dog died  I have no pal to share with! Very frustrating. I really can't say that I miss cooking  all that much. I occasionally get inspired and have a burst of thermomixing .

Unfortunately there are absolutely no foodies in this Retirement Village and I wonder if it the same in other villages where people just do not bother anymore. When we have get togethers the most exciting thing brought to share is little hotdogs and a bottle of sauce. I tried a few things when I first moved in but eventually gave up and no one liked anything as exotic as a tasty tapas spread. Even a homemade pizza was deemed "too much" and Dominos is better. I have heard no to chilli, anything slightly curry,Thai is just too weird not to mention rocket in a salad. Quinoa, and cous cous are disgusting. God help us if there  is any gluten, salt and sometimes even pepper. Egg Sanger’s with white bread is ok but no homemade mayo shall pass my lips. It goes on and on. Makes me laugh. I eat out by myself frequently. I always  take my own doggie bags and at least I get a variety of foods.  They eat only Smiths Crisps and nothing as exotic as salt and vinegar, dips are Kraft and eaten from the plastic container. Makes me laugh. There is one delightful Russian oldie who does come up with a few interesting things and she always makes extra just for me. At 86 she does very well. I will share with her and she will eat most anything even if she does not know what it is. She will often stick to one thing for months. At the moment it is boiled salted raw nuts. Pretty good too but I wish she would go back to the piroshki.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34912 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:41 am »
LOL Gert, some oldies won’t change for quids.  I love seeing the more adventurous try and enjoy something different.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34913 on: February 21, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
Ooh yes, piroshki Gert. We call them Vareniki as that is the Ukrainian for them. MIL made delicious ones, but 100's of them. Mine are passable.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34914 on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
Hi friends.
A grey day here. The weather forecasters say it's going to get colder with a chance of snow :-))
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34915 on: February 21, 2018, 07:41:57 pm »
Gert, Just love what you wrote.  ;D
Even when we attend the Creswick swap, which is a collection of ‘alternatives’, there are a large number of people just like the ones you describe. I took Portuguese tarts to one gathering and they contained gluten so couldn’t be eaten by many.

Nice and cool here today.  17 degrees.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34916 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
Gert, Just love what you wrote.  ;D
Even when we attend the Creswick swap, which is a collection of ‘alternatives’, there are a large number of people just like the ones you describe. I took Portuguese tarts to one gathering and they contained gluten so couldn’t be eaten by many.

Nice and cool here today.  17 degrees.

"Two words these days that make any allergist sigh: gluten allergy. “Gluten has been blamed for all that ails humanity,” Stukus says. But there are only three disorders you can attribute to gluten on a scientific basis, he says: celiac disease, wheat allergies and non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

Allergy myths busted: Guess what you didn't know about gluten? - ...
https://www.today.com › health › allergy..."

Drives me nuts Chookie! I blame the flour manufactures and the general population in their desire for crap products  that have denuded the grains and the things that helped to digest gluten. No one is ALLERGIC to gluten.

And then there are some who claim their children are ANNA, which means they so ignorant they cannot spell Anaphylaxis and have no knowledge of what it actually means. I have visions of yummy mummies running around after their kids with a bucket load of EpiPens. There are many who are truly anaphylactic and  need EpiPens. It has become almost a competition to see whose kid has the most  food issues. When I ask a few questions of these ANNA mothers it turns out that in most cases the kid just does not like something,  throws a tantrum or the food then chucks it up. Well they must be Anna. Eh?

Yes some people do not tolerate gluten well but they ain't gunna die from eating it unless, of course they have chronic celiac disease and do not follow a healthy celiac oriented diet.

Don’t get me started on lactose ANNAs.

Gert

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:07:57 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34917 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:40 pm »
Good morning folks. Certainly a topic that gets people hot under the collar Gert for one reason or another.
Enjoy your Thursday everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #34918 on: February 22, 2018, 12:16:46 am »
Good morning everyone.

I've loved reading your comments Gert, I just shake my head in wonder at some people.  I'm glad we don't have any fussy eaters in this family otherwise who would eat all the goodies I make.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34919 on: February 22, 2018, 02:09:16 am »
Gert you are so very correct on all the dumb people. When I was deputy at school one of my first jobs to do at the beginning of each year was contact parents about their children's allergies. We had two children with an anaphylactic reaction to nuts and one diabetic. About 50 others. When I rang the parents I got mostly 'oh she/he is just allergic....what happens?.......... oh nothing really......... he/she is just allergic!!!! People are just stupid.
One very distant relly says they are gluten intolerant.........why?........ its fashionable.Grrrr.

Sorry, it's one of my hobby horses.