Author Topic: Cottage Rolls  (Read 47041 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cottage Rolls
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:41 am »
That's how I read it CC and they were perfect.  I had frozen some of mine after they were fully cooked and they reheated beautifully today.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:23 am »
Thanks Judy. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:03 pm »
These sound very like Cyndi O'Mear's vego sausage rolls, which I made tonight and we all were very impressed with, but even more healthy with the cottage cheese rather than fetta and more vegies in the mix.  I will try these next time for sure and was thinking maybe of using a stack of four sheets of phyllo pastry, that's been sprayed in between with cooking spray to replace the puff pastry.  Worth a try, I reckon!  I totally understand peoples fears of cottage cheese . . . I hate the stuff normally but after losing a lot of weight with weigh watchers over the last two years, have come to grips with the fact that it tastes fine when baked and I use it in my lasagne and also in spinach bakes and so on . . . so cottage cheese haters, take heart!

Thanks for posting this!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
Sound great, cashews instead of pecans? Think that would work?

I didn't have pecan and tried almond, it work's - a bit sweeter.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:19 am »
In the recipe is the 1breadcrumbs meaning 1cup of breadcrumbs? :)

Oops... yes, 1 cup, I will update the recipe.  Thanks for that!

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:48 am »
Made these today, they are sooooooo good!  DS1 wolfed 3 down for dinner without skipping a beat.  Such a great recipe and thanks so much for posting it Denzelmum.

(I didn't have any nuts on hand that I wanted to use in these so I just omitted them - still gooooood!!)

You'll have to excuse them being wide and flat (I had a small pastry issue which I intend to resolve next time I make these, and there will definitely be a next time  ;D)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:16 am »
Great photo, Andrea!  Glad you like it.

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:51 am »
I've got my darling daughter and the grandchildren (2 and 4) coming on Thursday.  These sound lovely, and I know everyone will enjoy.  Thanks for the recipe.  :)
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 12:17:53 pm »
Hope you enjoy them, Merryline.

Offline smitch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:34 am »
hi! These look yummy. I'm thinking of doing them for my son's 4th birthday party on sunday... about how many does the recipe make?
Thanks!
mum of 4 from Sydney... DS 5, DS 4, DD 2.5, DD 1... busy!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »
Welcome Smitch.  The quantity will really depend very much on the size you make the rolls.  It's a while since I made these, but it made quite a lot of mixture and I still have some in the freezer (which I've been meaning to use for ages - it is a really delicious mixture so I must use it all up before too much longer).  As it's for four year olds I should imagine the rolls will be smallish, therefore I would make a guess that you should get a good 2 dozen or so.  That's guess work, but remember, not every child will have one, so there should be plenty for those that want them.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline smitch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:18 am »
Thanks Cuilidh, I think I'll give them a go! (we're very last minute!!)
mum of 4 from Sydney... DS 5, DS 4, DD 2.5, DD 1... busy!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »

hope I  can find this recipe when I come back from Margaret River after this weekend (no pen and paper beside me). by the sound of the recipe title i thought it was going to be a bread roll recipe, but I would love to make these. My MIL used to make me quite angry when my first DD was less than 1yo she wanted to feed her an easter egg. My husband is Croation, the first born, and first married. I am Australian, come from the Central Wheatbelt of WA, and 1 of 4 children. Whenever we stayed with my husbands family she seemed to try and exert her matriachial power, ie feed our kids biscuits and junk food BEFORE breakfast, and then when our kids wouldn't eat brekky she would say "something was wrong, what is wrong with ???". JD your lovely nature comes thru on this forum, and if you were my MIL I would be very happy because you have embraced technology with such a brave heart, we have also learnt so much from this forum as regards to nutrition, and your DD's would be very impressed.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »
Thank you CP, what a lovely thing to read about oneself just as you are about to close down and go off to bed. DD2 who introduced me to the TMX just marvels at where I have gone from that first night, not with just my cooking (always did that) but the way I make most things from scratch these days, my bread making, the computer skills I've learnt from people like you, how active I am on the forum and how many friends I have made. I'm quite the opposite to your MIL regarding feeding the kids junk food - DD2 has a cupboard with snacks in it and GS used to always be asking me (pointing when he couldn't talk) for something from it.  He now refers to it as the junk food cupboard and rarely asks me for anything from it when I am down there.  Those who have children still at home are at a great advantage as they will eventually leave home better educated in a healthier diet because of the Thermomix. Thank you for your kind words CP  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »
hi! These look yummy. I'm thinking of doing them for my son's 4th birthday party on sunday... about how many does the recipe make?
Thanks!

Hello, it depend on the size, you can make it small or large, easily make 72.  Sometimes I freeze them before baking, and just put them in the oven for 30 minutes when  I need them.