Author Topic: Exploring the TM5  (Read 35884 times)

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
Re: Exploring the TM5
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 12:13:21 pm »
Thanks Ladies and yes I have a lot to learn and try.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:44 pm »
I have been using my TM5 for a week now, overall it has been a positive experience. What I like best sofar is the flexibility that comes with the Thermomix. It really can do so many things with limitations only by the end user. So-far it has replace my coffee grinder, teapot and blender, I have also remove my electric coffee maker from the kitchen counter top because of space.

It will not replace my food processor, stand mixer, or wheat grinder, these stand alones just work to well and are not limited in size as the Thermomix is.

What I don't like so far, The way it chop my ground beef and all the grease left in the beef when done cooking. All I can say is make sure you use a good quality of beef with the lowest fat content as possible.

Your morning cup of joe, you should give it a try, it makes a great cup.

25 oz French press coffee pot
44g of fresh coffee beans. (I like to use a dark roast, Italian or French).
705g of filter water
Grain (chop) coffee, 6sec. Sp8
Remove coffee for TMX put into coffee pot
Add 705g of filter water
Time 8mins, Temp 212f deg. Speed  ^^ (ideal temperature for French press coffee 205f)
Allow water to reach set point and hold for 30 seconds (stop)
Pour half for the water into the pot, set a timer for 30 sec.then stir.
Add remaining water, set a timer for 5 mins.
Press and enjoy a great cup.

PS: This gives me some morning time with my TM5 and puts a little smile on my face.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:56:06 pm by Allen USA »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:03 pm »
You are making great progress with the TM5 Allen. Thanks for the recipe for making "morning cup of Jo" :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 11:46:54 pm »
Thanks CC

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 11:50:19 pm »
Baguette

I enjoy bread one of my weakness, baguette is a simple bread, but when made right it’s so good, it should have a hard outside crust and a soft light center. Using a good flour and giving it time develop in the raise you are rewarded with mild simple favor . So what can the Thermomix do?

Today I tried to making some bread with my TM5, I use the basic cookbook baguette recipe, now I have a little experience with bread making I have been making homemade whole wheat bread for the last couple of years on and off. With the first step warming the water sure sound good to me, but in the second step knead for only 2 minutes (?) that's what it reads so 2 minutes is what I did. After the short knead time I found a nice looking dough, boy I sure miss my longer knead times with my mixers I love watching the dough go around (simple minds are entertain easy). After the last raise you put the bread in a 480F oven I didn't even think my oven goes up that high (and I am still not sure if it does) After my bread had cool down it was time to give it tried, nice hard crust and a soft light inside I spread some homemade butter on it  and before I know it ¾ of the first loaf was gone. I did say bread was one of my weakness.

My DW, are neighbor and I enjoyed eating the bread. I would rate this bread a 3.1 out of 5 it needs a little more time developing and my presentation was not picture quality,
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:52:48 pm by Allen USA »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 12:10:59 am »
I was wondering when you were going to get around to bread making Allen, we have some great breadmakers on this forum whose recipes are worth trying.  There's nothing nicer than the smell of bread baking and it's impossible to stop  at one slice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 05:54:15 am »
Well done Allen. Bread making is my favourite pastime. I'm afraid I tend to eat it too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:07 am »
I was wondering when you were going to get around to bread making Allen, we have some great breadmakers on this forum whose recipes are worth trying.  There's nothing nicer than the smell of bread baking and it's impossible to stop  at one slice.
I will be trying other breadmakers recipes for sure, so much to try so little time to do it. Today I am hoping to try the banana bread recipe, I have the banana seating here and they need to be use.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:45:59 am by Allen USA »

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 11:43:46 am »
Well done Allen. Bread making is my favourite pastime. I'm afraid I tend to eat it too.
Thanks, cookie I share your pastime, and by your user name I beat you make one great cookie too ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:54 pm »
Great photos of your first breadmaking experience Allen.

My DH loves bread too.And potatoes  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:07 pm »
I have just caught up on this thread, Allen, and am totally amazed and impressed at the recipes you have been making.  I've had my TMX for about 5 or 6 years now and haven't been nearly as adventurous as you.  When I first started using it I couldn't stop making risottos so I then decided that I had to keep trying loads of new recipes and it has been great fun ever since.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 01:34:49 am »
Thanks, CC I have made bread before, just not use too to a oven so hot. I guess the cooks in the UK are just HOTTER cooks. :)

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 01:45:23 am »
Hi Cuilidh

Thanks for reading, it's been fun trying out my my TMX. I have been trying to stay with the book recipes as close as possible so I can get a taste of what others are cooking. Then I am planing on making changes as I need to keep my DW happy. Risottos is on my list to try.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:40:14 am by Allen USA »

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 02:18:35 am »
Banana Bread TMX

What can I say about Banana Bread, so yummy and so easy to make, Rhonda (DW) and I both enjoyed it today. Now I need one of my kids to stop by and take it home with them.

I also had some uncooked Tilapia fillets left over from the other night and some leftover steamed potatoes and mushroom cream sauces, got the frying pan out (cast iron only way to go) and fried the fish then reheated the potatoes in the same pan with some seasoning. Top it all with the mushroom sauces, We both had a big smile on are faces, I hit a home-run with the leftovers.  8)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:21:30 am by Allen USA »

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 02:25:58 am »
I agree Allen, Banana bread off the chip is really nice and sooo easy to make....
I think the only change I would make is reduce/replace the sugar..

Loving reading your journey, I have had TM5 for almost 2 years but surely have not cooked anywhere close to what you are doing :)