Author Topic: Cheese and Herb Scones  (Read 26192 times)

Offline busterman

• View Profile
Cheese and Herb Scones
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:14:39 am »
This is basically a variation on Buttermilk Scones, but I've made hundreds of them since my Bimby turned up and lots of friends have asked me to post the recipe.

As I live in the country I don't normally have buttermilk on hand, but I've found a mixture of plain yogurt and milk will give me the acidulated milk you need to "kick" the raising agents into action.  Juice of a lemon added the milk will do the same, but there's generally plain yogurt in my fridge whenever the need for savoury scones arises.

So here goes:

Heat the oven to 200C.  Line a baking tray with silicone baking paper. (Whatever did we do without that stuff?)

440g SR Flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt - chicken stock powder is even better I reckon!
60 g butter
1 tsp mustard powder
3 tsp dried mixed herbs
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
50-60g grated tasty cheese - pecorino, parmesan, good cheddar - or a mixture of all 3.  Whatever is in the fridge!
100 g plain yogurt
280 g milk

Place flour, sugar salt, butter and mustard powder in the TMX and stir on speed 8 for 5 seconds. Then add all the rest of the ingredients. Stir on speed 5 for about 5 seconds to bring the dough together and then knead for about 20 seconds on  ::

Empty the dough out onto a well floured surface and pat into a square shape about 2cm thick.

Being a mere male I don't fiddle around with fancy cutters, but simply cut the dough with a well floured straight blade into 16 square scones. Then place each scone onto the prepared tray. I usually place them only a few mm apart to keep them relatively straight and attractive after they have baked.

Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

I usually place them in a small basket or bowl lined with a tea towel and cover them to keep them soft.

They are delicious eaten warm, just split and spread with butter, but even better with a slice of your favourite cheese.

members' comments

dyljon - As someone who does have buttermilk on hand, could I replace the 100g of yogurt with 100g of buttermilk? And I think chives in place of the herbs could work too?

busterman - Of course.  Just so long as it's about 380g of some sort of liquid. An acidulated milk product like buttermilk would be perfect. It's the same with flavorings.  I just use whatever is in the cupboard.  Fresh herbs will work beautifully. I think every time I make up a batch it's slightly different anyway!

Hally - I made 31 using the MC as the cutter, yum, absolute yum, already had 2 with butter. Must freeze the rest. Also nice toasted for breakfast.

Chookie - these were great with fresh herbs.  A nice soft scone which we ate with Tenina's Apricot Preserves.

chdv - I made these with fresh rosemary and garlic and served them warm with lots of butter. Delicious.

Denzelmum - Made this with fresh chives from the garden. Served for morning tea after community Easter egg hunt.  Big hit! Some recipe request. From neighbours too. Thanks for sharing, will make this often.

Kimmyh - Made these for lunch over the weekend and they are lovely. Little bit spicy for boys so will leave out cayenne pepper next time. Thanks for sharing these great scones.

Persistenttiger - Made these last night to serve with Irish stew. They were delicious - such a great texture. I've never made scones in the tmx before, and now they are even easier!

KarenH - Made these this morning to go with pumpkin soup for lunch.  Great recipe!  I found it a bit wet and a tiny bit difficult to handle, but just floured my hands really well and patted it flat with minimal handling. They are really yummy tasty scones!

Trudy - very pleased with the result.  Thank you for the recipe.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:18:33 pm by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Cheese and Herb Scones
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:03 am »
Sounds yummy! That is exactly how my mother-in-law makes scones. She doesn't like fiddling around with cooking too long either.  ;)

Offline busterman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:26 am »
Thanks Nay-nay.  Just knocked up another batch (for Stella to take a couple of photos) and the staff have eaten them all.  With a smear of home made tomato relish and a slice of cheese.  Won't need dinner now!

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:25:11 am »
As someone who does have buttermilk on hand, could I replace the 100g of yogurt with 100g of buttermilk? And I think chives in place of the herbs could work too?
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline busterman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:03 am »
Of course.  Just so long as it's about 380g of some sort of liquid. An acidulated milk product like buttermilk would be perfect. 
It's the same with flavorings.  I just use whatever is in the cupboard.  Fresh herbs will work beautifully.
I think every time I make up a batch it's slightly different anyway!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:08 am »
Love the look of these but would use fresh herbs.   thanks for posting this interesting recipe busterman.   Welcome to the Forum,  I hope you have some more interesting recipes that you can share.

Offline busterman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:17:07 am »
Fresh herbs work well but you'll probably need at least twice as much.  Actually the dried herbs pack quite a flavor punch. That's the beauty of recipr variations!  Makes life fun.  And thanks for all your great recipes on the forum.  I am in awe!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:48:08 am »
Hi and welcopme busterman. Your scones sound lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:38 am »
Too scared to make these, if they are as good as your cake, they will be gone in 1 day and the family will just get fatter & fatter & fatter.

They look & sound delish,  ....maybe have to make them.LOL

Beware , danger to cook, Busterman recipes so far are great & hard to resist ;D

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline busterman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:16 pm »
Go for it Hally.  They're really quite good for you - I think :-\

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:24 am »
Good for me health wise?!?!? Good for me taste wise :D i am sure on the latter

Hally :)

Ok just pulled these out the oven.

I made 31 uing the MC as the cutter, yum, absolute yum, already had 2 with butter. Must freeze the rest.

I think these would go nicely with the cream cheese & her dip from  the edc. I am serving these up as nibbles for the adults for my sons birthday party.

MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST FREEZE MUST 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:38:01 am by Hally »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 04:50:16 am »
ROFL ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:47:43 pm »
Oh cookie these are great, going to make another batch in the next few days.

And the golden syrup cake..............

H :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:18 am »
Busterman,  these were great with fresh herbs.  A nice soft scone which we ate with Tanina's Apricot Preserves.

Offline busterman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:05 am »
I'm pleased you liked them.  In trouble at work today for not cooking up another batch.  The staff are hard taskmasters!