Author Topic: Messiest cook award  (Read 7880 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Messiest cook award
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »
If they had one, I'd be in the running to win it, that's for sure.

Loving my Thermomix isn't enough any more.  I have to wow the guests at the demonstrations with my presentation skills so they encourage their friends to book me again and I know one of my weak areas is keeping the bench, my apron, the floor and the Thermomix free from splotches of flour and drips of sorbet or risotto.

I go through heaps of kitchen paper and try to be as subtle and as confident as possible when wiping up publicly, but it gets me down.

Any advice or cold hard tellings off for me, please?  I need to improve, whether it be by honey or by vinegar.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Messiest cook award
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:28 pm »
I went to a restaurant supply and bought a stack of what are called "service" trays. 

I have the TMX sitting on the tray so stuff won't soak into my butcherblock counter and the rim keeps any liquid from running all over the place. 
For regular cookign, I put mixing bowls on the trays with a liner of the non slip "shelf" liner.  The liner keeps the bowls from shifting and if it gets messy the liner can go in the washing machine with the towels  - just NOT in the dryer but the stuff dries rapidly.

I use this liner stuff all over the house and in the van - keeps things from sliding, especially when I have boxes stacked on other boxes.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:19 am »
Cecilia I have found it has come with practice - 2 1/2 years later I am no where near as messy at demo's. I just pack away and clean away as I go... that includes wiping down etc. When wiping over the TMX I just explain to customers how easy it is to clean the TMX - all it takes is a wipe of the cloth and you are done. No chemicals etc. Don't despair, turn it into your advantage and show how easy it is to keep clean  :D :D

In my opinion the apron is there to catch all of the mess that is what they are for!!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:03 am »
Wow!  Thanks andiesenji and faffa for your kind and encouraging replies and how technically proficient and inspiring of you andiesenji to include photos just to help me.  I am most appreciative you both your comments and suggestions.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:25:33 am »
I'm not a consultant but when I have a cooking day I have ingredients and utensils spread from one side of the bench to the other. I try to clean up as I go but then I am just moving stuff from one side to the other then back again to cook the next recipe. I am definitely a messy cook but when all the cooking is done I soon have it all cleaned up and washed.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »
I also have a tray under my VitaMix blender because sometimes when I am "cooking" something in the blender, it will foam up and spill over. 

I also put my slow cookers on a tray because every one I have manages to do a little "spitting" from time to time. 
Ditto the deep fryer.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:05 am »
I may just beat you at that award!!
Even with thermie a few months old I'm still at the every spoon, knife, fork, bowl, tupp container stage PLUS all the thermie accessories....  the only thing I don't have now is pots and pans...... then all the herbs, spices etc

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
 :-\

Happy to hand it to you, curly66.  My word, you've been reading the forum enthusiastically if you've found this thread! 

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »
I went through a 'down' phase for a few months and became glued to facebook gaming to escape, now I have my thermomix and I've renewed my love of cooking, I'm in the forum reading reading and haven't looked at gaming for months!!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:41 pm »
Oh, that's such great news, curly66.  Well done.   8)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »
Curly, We are here. For you anytime you need a chat..
I love that non slip matting too especially in the caravan and in the box's on the back of my ute :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »
That's great curly. Your TMX is a much better outlet than internet gaming.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:04 am »
I went through a 'down' phase for a few months and became glued to facebook gaming to escape, now I have my thermomix and I've renewed my love of cooking, I'm in the forum reading reading and haven't looked at gaming for months!!

that's fabulous news curly....I completely understand where you are coming from....know of someone in that boat at the moment....at least now, more people along with yourself, can positively benefit from your new passion  8)
cooking is a good outlet  :)
.........EAT CAKE!