Author Topic: Pasta gluggy following. Basic cook recipe  (Read 24241 times)

Offline Mccm

• View Profile
Pasta gluggy following. Basic cook recipe
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »
Hi first time owner so excited until I cooked or should I say destroyed my first meal.  Can anybody let me know why when following the recipe for pasta in  tomato sauce with ham and chorizo my pasta turned to a gluggy mess - any ideas and yes followed recipe to the letter

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pasta gluggy following. Basic cook recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:03:28 pm »
Hi Mccm, welcome to the forum as a new owner. Where exactly is the recipe you tried, is it in the new TM5 book and if so which country?
There are not many people with that book yet so it may not have any reviews yet.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
I've had a look at the recipe and compared it to another very similar from the EDC called Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettuccine .The ingredients are roughly the same,although in the EDC recipe only 250-300g of dried fettuccine pasta are added to cook on  :-: ^^  Sometime the quality of pasta can cause problems.
I haven't tried this recipe yet so can't give you my personal feedback.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Mccm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:10:34 am »
Thanks ladies yes the recipe is from the new 'basic cook book' I used it as the guided recipe so you would expect that it would work out just fine .... I tested the same pasta on the stove this morning and it was fine and didn't go gluggy at all ...... Starting to wonder about my purchase

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:21:00 am »
Don't be put off your TM5 by one recipe failure Mccm.It sounds as though the recipe needs to be tweaked.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:14:02 am »
Mccm, I'm not sure of the actual recipe you are using but I've tried a few where the pasta is cooked in the sauce and we have found they are not to our taste. I now cook the pasta on the stove top and then add to the sauce last, doing it this way you need to reduce the liquid in the sauce. I find cooking pasta in the TMX directly in the sauce you end up with all the starch from the pasta in the dish rather than in the cooking water. I love my TMX but don't use it for everything as we prefer traditional methods for some things. Once you have success with a few recipes I'm sure you will will in love like most of us on this forum.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 12:26:12 am »
Welcome to the forum Mccm. Give a few more recipes a try, maybe ones that are similar to what you have cooked pre TMX. We all had things go wrong when we first started out.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:32:17 am »
I will hang my head and say we had pasta chips the other night. I forgot to put the  :-: on. I'm still learning, only had my machine 6 years. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/