Author Topic: Roast Pumpkin and Wattle Seed Bread from Margaret River.  (Read 26247 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Roast Pumpkin and Wattle Seed Bread from Margaret River.
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 09:23:44 am »
When I saw this bread mentioned this morning in one of the threads, I decided to give it a try to serve with a stew that I was making today.  I decided to make into rolls instead of a loaf so I could freeze easily.  It made 10 dinner sized rolls.

I roasted what I thought would be enough raw pumpkin (300g) but once cooked it only weighed 136g  :-)) so I added enough sun dried toms (ones that aren't marinated in oil or vinegar) to make up to the 200g.

I went to get the rest of the ingredients out to discover what I though were wattle seeds were in fact lemon myrtle seeds  :o so I used the extra ground pepper like Chookie suggested.

I followed the recipe except where you do the kneading after the first proving, I added some grated tasty cheese to knead into the dough.  I weighed it and divided into 10 balls and put on a tray.
After the second rise I baked for about 15 mins, then I turned them onto the rack so the bottom could get more crunchy and baked a further 5-6 mins.

I had one as soon as out the oven and I loved it I must admit.  I had another a bit later with my stew and liked it just as much.

I did brush the tops with melted butter and put on some pumpkin seeds and Nigella seeds, but I found they fell off onto the tray when I moved them so I wouldn't bother next time. (I did enjoy picking at the roasted pumpkin seeds though so they didn't go to waste)  :D

I have now ordered some wattle seeds and when they arrive I will make another batch of these for sure.  Fantastic recipe Chookie.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:25:32 am by JulieO »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:05 am »
They look very tasty Julie. Chookie was so clever with this bread. As she tasted it, she and Tenina discussed what was in it and then the clever Chookie recreated it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
I didn't realise I'd made this one, have no recollection whatsoever what it tasted like.  The rolls look lovely Julie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:21 pm »
Fabulous bread rolls Julie. 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2016, 09:30:53 pm »
Julie, thanks. Just love your adaption.
Must make this again as pumpkins are aplenty.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2016, 11:50:54 pm »
Thank you girls and Thank you to Chookie for making up this great recipe (thanks Cookie for pointing that out).  I very rarely eat bread these days so was so thrilled with the flavour of these and I really like having the convenience of having rolls in the freezer for those times.   Once I've made them with the wattle seeds I will report back on what I thought of them.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 11:31:39 pm »
Thanks again Julie, that will be interesting.