Author Topic: Hob-nobesque Biscuits  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Hob-nobesque Biscuits
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:34 am »
This recipe was passed to me by a friend and emulates the hob nob biscuit - I've just done these in the TMX and thought I'd post the recipe, I've adapted it slightly as she's a non-TMX user.

Hob nob- esqe Biscuits (makes 25+)

225g self raising flour
175g  caster sugar
225g  porridge oats
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
225g butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon water

Combine dry ingredients TMX and set aside.

Place butter, syrup and water in a TMX and melt - a couple of minutes on 50 degrees, speed 1-2.

Add the dry mix and stir well.   About 30 seconds, reverse speed 4ish

Form small balls from the mixture and put on 2 large baking sheets with a decent space between as they spread a bit. Press down with a fork to flatten somewhat.

Bake on 180 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown. Three seem to slip down quite well with a cup of coffee. x

members' comments

hools003 - I've just taken these out of the oven. They don't have the coconut in like the anzacs do, they smell divine! A bit buttery when you roll them into balls, not sure if you could cut that back a bit. Okay, im going to try one right now.........Oh, YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM Grin Crunchy, buttery, YUMMINESS!  Thanks Nik.

CC - Lovely biscuits Nik. Made 36 + the cooks odd one.

JD - Thanks for your lovely picture CC and Nik for the great recipe.  My batch made 40 biscuits.  I cut the sugar down to 150 g & the butter down to 210 g, not much of a reduction but every little bit helps.

Amy - Thanks for the recipe Nik!! I'm annoyed at myself for forgetting that last tray because now I don't have as many of these delicious bikkies.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:54:05 am by judydawn »
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hob-nobesque Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
Had to google this biscuit Nik - never heard of it. So it is like what we get here called a Digestive biscuit which I have used as a base for a cheesecake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HobNob
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
Had to google this biscuit Nik - never heard of it. So it is like what we get here called a Digestive biscuit which I have used as a base for a cheesecake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HobNob

Our digestive biscuit is quite plain with a crunchy but consistent texture.  The hob-nob is sweeter with a "bittier" texture from the oats.  Although I have heard of hobnobs being crushed to make cheesecake base, its more common to use digestives ...  I knew this was going to cause confusion, but ignored my instinct and thought, no, hobnobs will be available everywhere!

I rarely buy biscuits as they are so easy to make and I always think its cheaper to make them ....  I've just costed the hobnobs using the ingredients I just did which were mostly organic and they were the same price gram for gram than shop bought ones (although they wouldn't be organic!)

Nik

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:43 am »
It's nice to try different things from other countries though Nik so whether we are confused or not, it is a good thing. The ingredients are always in our pantries - in fact the ingredients are almost our Anzac biscuits to a T now that I think about it.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »
Judy, they are available here, I've seen them at Aldi when they do a special where they sell a selection of items from a particular country (in this case the UK). I just asked my Scottish husband and he reckons they're a bit more like our Anzac biscuits but the oats are chopped more finely. Hope this helps.
Debbie

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »
Nice recipe Nik.Just need to add the chocolate coating to make them into Chocolate Hob Nobs. :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:34 pm »
Now you're talking CC  ;) ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:39:34 am »
Like Judy I hadn't heard of these. They sound delicious. Another one printed off to try.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:49:26 am »
ive just taken these out of the oven. They dont have the coconut in like the anzacs do, they smell devine! A bit buttery when you roll them into balls, not sure if you could cut that back a bit. Okay, im going to try one right now.........Oh, YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM ;D Crunchy, buttery, YUMMINESS!  Now im going to the shops for some chocolate to make Jo's flourless choc brownie cookies!!!

Thanks Nik  ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 04:57:06 am »
That sounds like a good recommendation. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:55 am »
ive just taken these out of the oven. They dont have the coconut in like the anzacs do, they smell devine! A bit buttery when you roll them into balls, not sure if you could cut that back a bit. Okay, im going to try one right now.........Oh, YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM ;D Crunchy, buttery, YUMMINESS!  Now im going to the shops for some chocolate to make Jo's flourless choc brownie cookies!!!

Thanks Nik  ;D ;D ;D

Glad you liked them - than you for the review :)  I made 32 yesterday and we have less than a handful left!

Nik

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »
Lovely biscuits Nik  :) Made 36 + the cooks odd one ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:08:41 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:55:15 am »
They look gorgeous CC :D :D I must try this recipe after seeing your beautiful photo!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:00 am »
A picture sure sells a recipe to you doesn't it Amy - I have already knocked a batch of these up this morning.  Thanks for your lovely picture CC and Nik for the great recipe.  My batch made 40 biscuits.  I cut the sugar down to 150g & the butter down to 210g, not much of a reduction but every little bit helps ;)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 03:00:01 am »
A picture sure sells a recipe to you doesn't it Amy - I have already knocked a batch of these up this morning.

Absolutely Judy!! I am much more likely to make a recipe if there is a photo attached, which is why I have been trying to take more photos of my own recipes ;)