Author Topic: Spray & Wipe.....careful, it might get you cleaning!  (Read 52461 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Spray & Wipe.....careful, it might get you cleaning!
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:46:03 am »
I'm aiming at becoming more 'natural' with my cleaning gear and after reading lots I have made my own spray and wipe which I think is absolutely amazing (even thou I do say so myself!  ;) ). It cuts through grease, cleans everything with ease, leaves the house smelling nice and doesn't leave a residue. It takes some forward planning but is well worth the effort. I am unable to credit any websites here as it resulted from lots of reading and I can't for the life of me remember which ones gave me the ideas. I do know that the mix ratio and ingredients came from Stay At Home Mum but the additional idea....who knows?  If this is anything like an idea from another forum member I apologise in advance. 

OK.....

Get yourself a clean jar.  I used an old Mocconna coffee jar. Whenever you use a citrus fruit, instead of throwing the skin away, put the waste in the jar and cover with white vinegar.  Keep adding until the jar is full and leave it to 'mature'.  I think at least a couple of weeks (but this will not be a problem once you've made the first batch cause your next lot will be maturing while you use the first lot).

In a spray bottle mix a 'splash' of eucalyptus oil, half a cup of your citrus vinegar mix (mine was really orange in colour) and fill the rest up with water.

Give it a good shake and go to town!

I really love this. Today it has cleaned my walls, skirting, bathrooms, toilets, greasy hand prints on my cupboards, my SS hob (wow!) and is great at removing children's mess on a glass dining table (i know, what on earth were we thinking?!). It is so good that after breakfast I sprayed and cleaned up the mess but then for lunch and dinner I just had to wipe with a wet cloth and it came up really clean again.  The bonus is my house smells beautiful too!

Hope somebody tries this out and loves it as much as me. This and JD's glass cleaner are the only things I think I really need in the cleaning cupboard (OK, and maybe a bit of Gumption for the Thermy!).

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: Spray & Wipe.....careful, it might get you cleaning!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:25 am »
Sounds good brumington, might give this a go once my miracle spray runs out.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:40 am »
I thought I should add a photo to show why I love this so much. I'm actually ashamed that I allowed my hob to get this filthy but in my defence it is the stuff you can't see under the gas rings!

The 'before' shot is taken with some spray and wipe on it. I left it for a couple of mins and it literally came off with next to no scrubbing.

"http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8448/7969973686_a323d329e9.jpg"

Hope the link works.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:56 am »
Brumington your stove looks fantastic!  I have been using vinegar water and eucalyptus oil for about 6 years now and love it - i think i got the idea from Shannon Lush initially.  But I've never thought of infusing the vinegar with citrus peel - great idea.

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:26 am »
Wow Brumington, this sounds fantastic. I will have to get started on this. Clever lady!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
Me, too!! :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:23 am »
Great photo Brumington, stove top looks brand new.  Such a cheap, easy solution to make too.  Thanks for that, it should smell fantastic.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
Wow wow wow, gonna make some of this for sure
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »
i have started mine cleaner a few days ago

can use just the peel to make marmalade
if you have pressure cooker  give this ago it sound  quick and easy  
save citrus peel for a few weeks in the fridge. Throw it all in the pressure cooker with enough water to cover. Cook for about 10 mins. Mash it all up with a potato masher, add egual weight of sugar and boil till  it sets on a saucer. Makes brilliant marmalade.

i will find the link and add it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:17:24 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:59 am »
I started some of this a couple of days ago. I used limes not lemons so will have to see how it goes.

Marie

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 03:22:19 am »
Hi Marie, I have chopped up some lemons and started this too, I love the miracle spray and this can only improve it, I don't have a pressure cooker so will boil it up in the TMX do you think that would work.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:11:16 am »
AB

the original copy and paste

If you have a pressure cooker....save citrus peel for a few weeks in the fridge. Throw it all in the pressure cooker with enough water to cover. Cook for about 10 mins. Mash it all up with a potato masher, add egual weight of sugar and boil till smakk amount sets on a saucer. Makes brilliant marmalade! Can be done without a pressure cooker but takes a lot longer to become soft enough for mashing

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:54:45 am »
I didn't cook it at all. Just let the citrus skin sit in the vinegar and let the oils seep out over time. It doesn't matter what citrus you use. Whatever you've used in your cooking. I had lemon, orange and mandarin skin in mine. My second batch is maturing in the cupboard and will be ready as soon as the first lot runs out. It's only really the first batch that you have to patiently wait for!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:22 am »
sorry  :-))
i think there has been a misunderstanding

i was trying to say you can marmalade with just the peel

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:31 am »
Getting our wires crossed here, I thought you cooked the spray and wipe solution.  Oh well sorted now thanks girls.