Author Topic: Bottling/preserving  (Read 12441 times)

Offline K8nco

• View Profile
Bottling/preserving
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:01:48 am »
Hi all,

New here though I have had my thermi for 6 years now.

Have suddenly found I have lots more time on my hands and an abundance of over ripe tomatoes. Would like to make lots of sauce etc for bottling/preserving but have no idea how to go about the process.

Tips, hints and tricks all welcome please.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Bottling/preserving
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:18:37 am »
If you are lucky enough to have a good tomato harvest stove top preserving would be the way to go as the TMX couldn't handle really large quantities.  I haven't done this myself, but a search on Google could be helpful.  There are some wonderful ladies (and gents) on here that do preserving and I am sure you will hear something from them before too long. 

I have often made small quantities of passata sauce in the TMX (and there are quite a few recipes for this on here), but haven't done any large scale bottling, mainly due to lack of appropriate preserving pots and equipment.  I will be interested to see how this thread progresses.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum K8nco, you certainly are a veteran when it comes to being a Thermomix owner.

I'll send you a ketchup recipe which is not on the forum, I don't know how many tomatoes you have but you might like to also make relish, pizza sauce, tomato based pasta sauces or dry them if you have a dehydrator.  I'm sure our members will offer some suggestions, especially those who have had bumper crops of tomatoes this season.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline K8nco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:22 am »
Thanks judydawn I got your pm. Have about 5kg worth so between that and a pasta/pizza sauce I should be set :)

Now to work on the jarring. Hope I have enough lol

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08:34 am »
If you don't have enough jars, you could always store the pasta sauce in ziplock bags in the freezer which is what I do.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »
Hi,  I have posted a recipe for tomato sauce on the Forum.  It is very nice and keeps very well.   I do a lot of preserving but don't bottle any vegetables.  The sauce can be bottled in jars or bottles.  Use the jars that have the small rubber seal in the lid,  like in the Dolmio jars. These are also lined with a plastic coating.  Don't use metal lied with anything with vinegar.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:35 pm »
Welcome K8nco :)
I use Grolsch (sp?) bottles for my sauce. (The ones with the swing top on them. Hubby loved the beer, I loved the bottles!) They work perfectly for sauces. I bottle it while hot and shut the lid on and pop them in my pantry. I have bottles in there that are over 8 years old and all good.
I put pickles etc in jars with the 'pop' type lids, bottle while hot and they suck down to create a seal.
Once I open anything it goes in the fridge.

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:42 am »
I have a Vacola bottling unit that I bought 2nd hand some years ago. I bottle fruit, cordials, tomatoes and even plumpuddings for Christmas,( or anytime realy). It's very easy but there are a few methods out there were you don't need to spend a lot of money .
 Megans tomato passata is a favourite in my house and I try to make enough to last the year. But no matter how much I make it never seems to stretch that far, its so good.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:46:18 am by Lucyluu »
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline K8nco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
Thanks everyone :) I'm giving this ago tomorrow so I'll let you all know how I go. If it's i success I'll be finding more things to make in bulk :) pity I don't like jam ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:46 am »
It is a pity. Tomato jam is really nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:50:57 pm »
I've just finished using up 20kgs of Roma Tomatoes like Cookie I like the lids with the pop top but use others too I put a piece of cling wrap under the lid , I made some passata , thick tomato, onion,garlic and herb sauce for spag, semi dried some, a couple of jars I wasn't sure about if they were hot enough when I finished to seal properly I put on the fridge to use first, you can put them in the microwave for a couple of mins at the end with the lid on but I'm a bit scared of that .

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:41 am »
I've just finished using up 20kgs of Roma Tomatoes like Cookie I like the lids with the pop top but use others too I put a piece of cling wrap under the lid , I made some passata , thick tomato, onion,garlic and herb sauce for spag, semi dried some, a couple of jars I wasn't sure about if they were hot enough when I finished to seal properly I put on the fridge to use first, you can put them in the microwave for a couple of mins at the end with the lid on but I'm a bit scared of that .
Don't be scared of using the MW for bottles with lids.  I bottle all my fruit like this and also sterilize all jam jars like this. I don't do any veggies as these have to be done twice. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:02 am »
Don't be scared of using the MW for bottles with lids.  I bottle all my fruit like this and also sterilize all jam jars like this. I don't do any veggies as these have to be done twice. 
When Chookie first suggested putting the bottles with lids in the microwave to me I was sceptical and unsure as well   ??? (I know ... I know ... I should have believed her!), and it took me a couple of years to actually work up the courage to try it!  However, I did eventually talk myself into giving it a go and I had no problems at all, so give it a go!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:08 am »
Thanks girls I will give it a go next time, I just made Fig Jam, delicious I even ate the lemon peel and wished I'd put in more it would be like candied peel if I dried it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:05 am »
AB I liked the look of the lemon peel and ate it too as soon as it had cooled a bit. ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/