Author Topic: Gooseberry recipes ...  (Read 11880 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Gooseberry recipes ...
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »
Hi, sorry - one other recipe request.  I have a bunch of gooseberries ready from our allotment - but they're too sweet to make good jam.  I thought gooseberry pie or fool, but then my brain froze as to how to make them.  Anyone have good recipes for gooseberries?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gooseberry recipes ...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »
Caroline I'm a great Delia Smith fan and in her Summer Cookery Book she has a few gooseberry recipes: gooseberry and elderflower puree,gooseberry and elderflower jellies, gooseberry and elderflower ice ream,English gooseberry cobbler,gooseberry one crust pie and gooseberry and elderflower preserve.Also on her website she has loads.If I remember it is one of her favourite ingredients
http://www.deliaonline.com/search.html?search_term=gooseberry
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »
Hi Caroline,I found this recipe when I was looking for something else.It's from The Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook, sounds interesting "Delicious for filling for tarts, sponges and meringues.Keeps up to 6 weeks in the fridge"Would have thought it's easy to convert.Basically you make a gooseberry puree, add the rest of the ingredients, cook until thickened and then put into warm sterilized jars.
Gooseberry Curd
675g gooseberries
300mils water
125g butter
325g sugar
3 eggs
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:12 am »
I can remember my Aunt growing gooseberries when I was very young. I've hardly seen them in shops in the last few years. Are they readily available in New South Wales or Victoria?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:07:49 am »
Caroline - I made a gooseberry fool the other day by making a custard in the TMX (with a tsp of arrowroot to thicken it). 

I topped and tailed the gooseberries and cooked them for about 20 mins. in the TMX at 100 with about 100 ml. of elderflower cordial and sugar (can't remember how much).

Once they, and the custard, were cool, I whipped some cream (about 150 ml) and then folded the cream, the gooseberries and the custard together.

I've also made gooseberry ice-cream by making a  rich custard, making a gooseberry puree with some elderflower cordial and mixing them together before freezing them.   Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the quantities but it was yummy   ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »
Thanks CornishCream and Katja.  Yum yum - think I'm going to go with the ice cream!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »
Thank you, everyone, for the gooseberry ideas.  :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution