Author Topic: Bacon & cheese rolls  (Read 146569 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Bacon & cheese rolls
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:05:26 am »
CHEESE & BACON ROLLS

7g sachet dry yeast (I used a defiance 8g sachet) - or 2 teaspoons worth.
2 tsp caster sugar
280g  warm water
480g bread flour (I used wallaby baker's flour)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tblsp good olive oil
200g rindless bacon finely chopped
1 1/3 cups grated tasty cheese
1 egg lightly beaten
..........................................................................................

Place yeast, sugar and warm water into TM jug, mix 20 secs - speed 4. Stand in jug  for 10 mins, or until frothy.

Add salt, flour and oil, and mix 5 secs - speed 7 to combine.
Set dial to closed lid position, and set for 1 minute 30 secs on interval speed.

Wrap in TM bread mat, or place in a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. (I placed it in my warm car, and it was ready in 30 minutes).

Using your fist, punch dough down. Knead until smooth.

Grease two large baking trays (I used olive oil spray - made the bases nice and crunchy). Divide dough into 8 even portions. Roll each portion into a 10cm x 12cm oval shape. Place ovals, 5cm apart on a prepared trays.
(You can shape them into 10 or 12 dinner rolls if you like, if you were wanting to stretch them further.......or roll out and place in two roll tins, shown here)

Cover with lightly greased cling wrap (used olive spray again). Set aside in a warm place for 30-40 minutes or until dough has almost doubled in size.

Pre-heat oven 200c normal, or 180c fan force (preferred). Once ovals have risen, brush with whisked egg, and sprinkle with the cheese then bacon pieces.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.

TIP: Best eaten straight from the oven, or freeze once they have cooled (usually they are gone by then  ;))

Recipe altered and converted from a SFI recipe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:38:29 pm by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Bacon & cheese rolls
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:37:00 am »
Gosh Maddy, you really are giving JulieO a bit of competition in the recipe/photo stakes. 

These look brilliant.  Love the soft appearance of the cheese and bacon, not burnt and dried to a crisp  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:28:39 am »
I love bacon and cheese Maddy. They look lovely. We used to buy them from Woolworths years ago and yours have reminded me. I will make them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:08 am »
Gosh Maddy, you really are giving JulieO a bit of competition in the recipe/photo stakes. 

:D :D Julie photo's and recipes have been my inspiration for ages on "taste".  Her food always looks beautiful.....and I can honestly say that if you are taking a photo of it, you don't tend to plonk it on the plate as I  normally would do  ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:49 am »
It certainly does look worth the effort (not much at that) maddy. My local bakery sells them for $2.50 each - that's $20 worth you've got there.  Great for a quick lunch - either from the freezer or freshly made.  Thanks for the posting, these will be made soon.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:04:34 am »
Hi maddy, do you want the good news or the bad news first  ??? ???  Let's start with the bad news.  I tried to make these late yesterday for tea but the dough was just not right somehow, it was like big breadcrumbs and after an hour, still hadn't risen so couldn't see the point of wasting the cheese and bacon on that lot of dough.  This morning I tried again, this time comparing the recipe to the pizza dough - pretty similar but with more water so I went with more water and it was perfect.  I was happy about that and knew it was going to be successful this time. If I made more doughy things I would have known last night to add more water but no, that went into the bin.  The end result was absolutely perfect, just like yours and I had to stop myself going back into the kitchen to get a second one for lunch.  This recipe is going to be used all the time now, even for individual pizzas instead of big ones although I will roll the dough out a fraction more for the pizzas.  All the grand-children are going to love this one.   I ended up adding 280g water to 480g bakers' flour.
Thanks for this lovely recipe  :-* :-*

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:06 am »
JD what brand flour do you use?
I have Defiance baking flour, so my proportions of water/flour may be the same if its the same brand.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:12:09 am »
I use Wallaby bakers flour like maddy does CP63.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:04:08 am »
 ??? Well glad you had success in the end Judy!
Can't explain your crumb scenario though.  My immediate thought was possibly the yeast not active enough?  Was your water warm enough to activate and froth the yeast?
Anyway.....do what you did if that got the results in the end ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:49 am »
I had opened a new box of yeast Maddy and it didn't froth so I wondered if it was no good. I made sure the water was warm the second try but it didn't froth either and this time it worked so, beats me :P :P  Be interesting to see how others fare and as long as they turn out in the end, how we get there doesn't matter.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:17 am »
Exactly Judy!  I'm just wondering if maybe different measuring (cups/jugs)....might not be as accurate as we hope?  Ones measure, might be more or less than anothers maybe?
Anyway....enjoy them  ;D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
I made these today, and I had the same thing as Judy.  I took her advice and just added more water when I saw the "crumb" effect.  Anyway, they were DIVINE!  Mine didn't stay flat though, they went all round which made it hard to balance the bacon and cheese on top  :-)).

Will definitely make again, perfect for kids to snack on!

A+  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »
That makes me feel better Caroline J - in the end though, they were even better than the bakery bought ones. Mine puffed up a bit but not that much.  Did they go down a bit when you brushed on the egg wash? That then gives the cheese and bacon something to stick too.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:00 pm »
I forgot the egg wash! Silly me, trying to multi-task... :-))

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »
These sound great! Thanks Maddy
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog