Author Topic: Fruit Mince Pies - With photo  (Read 92576 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Fruit Mince Pies - With photo
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 11:56:19 am »
Oh Julie, I got the kids and DH into bed and made the pastry! I must admit I was very worried, I even thought that maybe the scales were out or a grain of rice stuck under a foot, as the pastry was soooo different to any other pastry I have ever seen or felt, it was difficult to get out of the THX, but I stuck it in the fridge for half an hour, and although I was expecting an absolute disaster, my scales were perfect and so was the pastry! OMG! Amaaaaaaaazing! Thanks Julie! Although I only managed 12 tarts, maybe mine are bigger? Maybe I could have squeezed 13 tartlets, but 18 how do you manage that? Have already used half the mince with the 12, but I could eat it out of the jar with a spoon.....d-licious!!! :P :P :P Have frozen 4, eaten 2! And have brought the rest to work for some colleagues. A huge success, thanks again! A lovely xmas hamper pressie, a definite MUST for xmas time!
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 02:30:31 pm »
Good to hear they were a success.  Mine are patty pan size, little shallow, rounded pans, not like small muffins which are deeper.  Have put a link so you can get an idea of what I mean.   I can get about 40 of them from the amount of filling.  It doesn't matter because I always find one is not enough anyway LOL.  The pastry can be a little finnicky but it's very nice.

http://www.kitchendiscounts.com.au/buy/baker-s-secret-12-cup-patty-cake-pan/1051201

Thanks for trying them Bron, I'm happy that you liked them.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:35:29 pm by JulieO »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:52 pm »
I was flicking through the Margaret Fulton Christmas recipe book the other night, and she has some identical looking pies. I thought...mmm I've seen these somewhere before...  ;D ;D ;D (If I liked fruit mince I would probably give them a go, but unfortunately not- don't like turkey  :(, shortbread much  :(, christmas pudding  :(, trifle  :( - so I am a bit of a pain in the neck at Christmas time. Did I mention relatives on my husbands side? he he he )

Going to the Chrissy class on Sunday (at Sir Charlies) - can't wait to see the demo's and pick up the new book! Hey, maybe those going from the forum can wear something that we can identify?? I am going by myself so if someone can save me a seat right at the front that would be great  ;D ;D ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 09:39:20 pm »
What a good idea CP! How about a red tshirt? And white trousers? Shame I'm on the other side of the world! Would love to meet you all!

Well Julie, they lasted all of 6 hours! Will be making some more over the weekend, as such an easy recipe. I am a very happy Bron! Thankyou :-* :-*
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 11:50:59 pm »

Although I only managed 12 tarts, maybe mine are bigger? Maybe I could have squeezed 13 tartlets, but 18 how do you manage that?

bron - it may well be how thin you rolled the pastry? 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 03:11:25 am »
CP I wonder if it's the same filling recipe? (Margaret Fulton).  I got the recipe on-line but with no pastry recipe, so just use the one I use for custard tarts which seems to work well with it.  Have you tried a home made pie?, as I don't like the store bought ones either.  I agree it must make it hard for you at Christmas time if you are being offered all the stuff you don't like.

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 11:19:20 am »
don't like turkey  :(, shortbread much  :(, christmas pudding  :(, trifle  :( - so I am a bit of a pain in the neck at Christmas time. 

lol  I'm with you CP63  ;D ;D  I'm not particularly fussy with food, but just don't happen to like a few things.......ham, cream, christmas pudding, or trifle   :-)) :-))!!  Suppose it helps me not overeat at chrissy lunch ;D ;D
Hope the chrissy class is good.  Let us know....
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 09:34:58 pm »

bron - it may well be how thin you rolled the pastry? 

[/quote]

I did try to roll them as thin as poss, but the pastry was quite tricky, bet this is a difficult one to make in the heat of the summer, good job my kitchen is cool at the mo!!! I think it must be the size of pies! Plus my stars didnt reach from side to side so I placed 2 stars on each one, very pretty!!! :-)) :-))
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »
Bron, yes I have less trouble with the pastry in winter than in our warmer months. I keep saying I will try others, maybe one day.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 02:11:20 am »
CP63, did you enjoy the class? Did you go to morning or afternoon? I went alone too so would have enjoyed someone to eat with. Next year?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 02:38:05 am »
mmm another one on my try for Christmas list!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:08 pm »
These are absolutely delicious, even the frozen ones turn out amaaaaazing, I stick them in the microwave 1 minute on defrost and they come out just perfect for a cup of tea. I will definitely keep a bag of these in the freezer for the unexpected visitor, perfect! Thanks Julie :-*
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »
You're very welcome Bron.  ;D

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:08 pm »
Just to post my photo ..................
Thanks Julie!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:50 am »
Bumping this recipe. DS who rarely asks me to make anything yesterday asked if I could make those little pies with the fruit and stars, it took me a little while but finally remembered I made these a couple of times last year. It's a great recipe and loved by all who tried them.