Author Topic: Dumpling help in a hotpot  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Dumpling help in a hotpot
« on: November 02, 2016, 05:11:22 am »
I have a recipe for dumplings to be cooked in a hot pot.  I have never made dumplings before so just want a bit of advice.  The recipe reads:

Coarsely grate one-quarter of the copha into the flour. Toss the mixture to coat the copha lightly in the flour. Add the remaining copha in three more batches, grating and tossing it in the same way. This should prevent the dumpling dough from clumping and yield light, fluffy dumplings.

Then it says:  Stir in enough cold water to bring the mixture together as a soft, squidy dough

The recipe calls for frozen butter but I will be using copha which I am hoping will be a suitable substitution (alternative suggestions gratefully accepted).  The quantities are 200 g SR Flour and 75g copha. Would it work if I simply put the flour and copha into the jug and turboed it a couple of times?  Should I turbo the copha first then add the flour and mix at 4(?) for a couple of seconds?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:34:52 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dumpling help in a hotpot
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:28 am »
I don't see why you can't put them both into the jug and turbo a couple of times Marina.
Or you could turbo the copha and then mix it into the flour by hand, although it may stick together this way. I'll be interested to see what others think.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dumpling help in a hotpot
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:04:27 pm »
I would turbo the copha with the flour,tip into a bowl and then add the liquid by hand Marina.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.