Author Topic: USA Thermomix  (Read 78575 times)

Offline Melissa USA Consultant

• View Profile
Re: USA Thermomix
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:49 pm »
You are right, they are supposed to look revolting.  :)
Halloween is enormous in the US, a much-hyped holiday that is fed by the enormous retail industries that support it (candy, baked goods, Halloween decor, Halloween cards, Halloween costumes, even costumes for your pet! and so on...) For people who enjoy throwing Halloween parties, or for parents making Halloween treats for kids, the stuff ranges from adorable to "gruesome". If you go to to Pinterest and search for Halloween Treats you will see many examples of what I am talking about.

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2016, 03:20:43 am »
As some of you here may already know, I am an American thermomix user for several years but use the TM31.  I use mine quite a bit for many dishes and juicing so I have been happy with it.  I just don't see the thermomix taking off overall in the US though.  Most people that see mine get turned off by the cost of the machine.  I wish the US consultants luck though! 

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2016, 09:27:49 pm »
Most people, irrespective of which country they're from, are turned off by the price of the TMX Azure111! I know it took me a good six months of deliberating before I bought my TM31. DH was sick of my incessant talk and finally said "oh please put me out of my misery and just buy the damn thing."

Halloween is huge in our neighborhood. Houses (not ours) are decorated and because of safety, generally only securely-wrapped/sealed (tamper proof) lollies and chocolates are handed out. Certainly no home-baked goodies going around.

In fact, it's school policy that all foods intended for other children, e.g. Birthday cake, cupcakes etc, have to be store bought. You cannot bring in home baked goodies. No lamington drives here! Do they still do lamington drives? I remember them fondly from my Aussie school days.
From Perth WA

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2016, 10:06:03 pm »
My mom was a school teacher for many years so I remember her telling me when her school implemented the "store bought" goodies only rule for the kids in her classroom.  There was a lot of upset parents but it was for the "safety of the children"...however I never was sure what the dangers (of homemade) were in the first place that can be eliminated by going store bought instead. 

I admit I had to look up what "lamington drives" are because I never heard of them.  I guess the closest thing to that is we used to sell candy bars to raise funds.

Sorry I brought this thread off topic.....I really do hope the thermomix takes off in the US but the marketing of it only works if the Thermomix has a good reputation (just like Cutco knives or Kirby vacuums). Most Americans don't know what it is.  People always ask me what "that thing" is when they are in my house and think I was dumb to pay that much for a "blender".  The same people react differently to my cutco knives and tell me how nice they are and don't even balk at the price of the knives.   

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2016, 01:44:54 am »
Have any of your house guests tasted anything made in 'that thing' Azure11?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
I've found this very interesting reading.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
I've found this very interesting reading.
Me too.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »
Have any of your house guests tasted anything made in 'that thing' Azure11?

Honestly, other than my family members...I don't think any of my friends have.  You have a good point there.

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:59 pm »
I wanted to let you guys know that I just learned today that Thermomix USA is offering a trade-in promotion targeted to folks in the USA who already have TM31s or TM21s. From now until the end of the year, they will actually offer a trade-in of $215 for any TM21, and $335 for any TM31 (regardless of country it is from, or condition). That means if you have a TM21 or TM31, you can purchase your new TM5 for $1084 or $964, which is cheaper than I have ever seen it anywhere. I was surprised and excited to hear this news as I think there are people in the US who have thought about purchasing the TM5, but with a fully functioning TM31, don't want to invest in the newer model. That was certainly me last year! :-) If you know anyone interested, have them get in contact with me here at ForumThermomix or email at melissaandmitch@ThermoLovers.com. Thermomix USA just announced this today, so I should be getting the details on how to do the trade-in in the next day or so. They are also offering a free Thermomix cookbook for anyone who purchases this month as well.

How does this compare with promotions in other countries? We have not had promotions before in the States, so this is quite new to me, although I have heard lots of talk about promotions elsewhere. I'd be curious to know what you all think about this approach.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2016, 04:33:07 am »
No trade in options here Melissa. Some people sold their 31's to buy the 5. I kept mine and now use both.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:33 pm »
Isn't it great having a second one? I kept my TM31 as well. I don't use it much, but every one in a while it is a lifesaver. :-) I just can't seem to part with it. It's like an old friend.

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I am wondering how the launch of the USA Thermomix is going?

The USA folks in charge of this launch seem to be really limiting themselves to a select few states like NY and CA which seems to be bad practice.  My guess is that they are initially selling where the money is because those are high income states.

I will continue to be the oddball American guy with his loved oldie but goodie TM31. :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
Hopefully Azure Melissa is still working and can bring us up to date. Hopefully they are developing a suitable cookbook for the US market.

I am with you Azure on the TM31. Wish I had not given mine away. The TM5 is a great disappointment to me.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Azure111

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2017, 10:17:22 pm »
Gert, I have never used the TM5 and have not had the opportunity to try one out.  I would love to though.

Although I bought the TM31 without a demonstration or even seeing one in person,  It wasn't an option before when I got the TM31 because they were not officially being sold in the US at the time.  Had to jump through hoops to even get a new TM31 delivered to my door.

Since you have used both TM31 and TM5, can you share with me what causes disappointment of the TM5?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:50 pm »
The time delay in the arms letting go of the lid drives me nuts. I have no need of the guided cooking and I think a lot of us cooks feel the same. It slows thing up if you do use it. Also the case is more fragile with many machines cracking . I am seeing and hearing of many many machines having to be repaired, adjusted and being sent back for this and that. That rarely happened with the 31.

I think the plethora of  repitious cookbooks have made very lazy cooks who cannot be bothered to think before asking the inevitable “hit me with your favourite recipe. Bonus points for no gluten, no citrus, no dairy, no spice etc etc".

Maybe it is just the non stop asking the same questions by the new "Thermie" lovers sends me over the top. Maybe we on the forum were sort of pioneers who actually helped each other with one one one help and tweaked  some pretty basic home cooking recipes. We had fun without the urgency and had the patience to develop some pretty good recipes and methods. Now every woman and her child is an instant expert and posting sub standard recipes in the recipe communities causing many people to feel like failures when they don't work out. We  learned our machines capibility inside out and had no need to ask endless idiotic questions. 

I am a tech lover and user but the chip and now the cook key,  to me, are of no value but then I knew how to boil water before I bought my first thermomix.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.